Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 01:07 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
I have never heard of normally aspirated Porsche engine winning hp/liter title; at least on the paper. The S54B32 motor was 333bhp (for US Model) with 3.2L engine in 2001. That is a little more than 104 hp/liter and it's CSL version is about 110 hp/liter. BMW E30M3's EVOIII motor had 100 hp/liter back in early 90's. And look into Honda's S2000 engine.
The 997 GT3 mill has 115 HP/liter, and that's using Porsche's conservative rating. Are there many NA motors that top it?
Old 05-19-2008 | 01:21 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Triode I agree it might not be THE best but it has to be up there and I thats all he was saying
Old 05-19-2008 | 07:07 AM
tubescreamerules
Advanced

Originally Posted by triode
The 997 GT3 mill has 115 HP/liter, and that's using Porsche's conservative rating. Are there many NA motors that top it?
honda s2k...managed to top that in last decade...
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:12 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Kit Chris this is a free forum and I wont even justify your post with a response.
At least Speed_Geek keeps the conversation- and thats an important term conversation- civil and light.
we are just talking about a ricer for Gosh sake.
I take that as meaning these "stories of tranny failures on the GT-R that are starting to hit the shores" you are referring to are fabrications? I'm asking for some backup to your statements, which is textbook definition of a conversation, is this your definition of an uncivil behavior on a free forum? Like I said, fueling rumors without solid evidence is just what it is: spin. Exactly the sort of thing you feel car magazines are guilty of.

I'll ask again, please provide details about these reliability rumors you are propagating on this free forum, for civil conversation purposes.

By the way, having one's statement challenged on a forum is neither uncivil nor against the spirit of conversation and debate we all feel strongly about, on the contrary it's absolutely fair game and I doubt anyone will disagree with this.

Regards,
Chris
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:27 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tubescreamerules
honda s2k...managed to top that in last decade...
I don't know the S2000 figure (is it 120HP/liter or so?), but even if it slightly bests the '7 GT3's 115HP/liter, the GT3 actually has TORQUE as well, so would seem to be a much more well-rounded mill.

Besides the Honda, does any other NA motor beat the GT3 in this regard?
Old 05-19-2008 | 01:01 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by triode
I don't know the S2000 figure (is it 120HP/liter or so?), but even if it slightly bests the '7 GT3's 115HP/liter, the GT3 actually has TORQUE as well, so would seem to be a much more well-rounded mill.

Besides the Honda, does any other NA motor beat the GT3 in this regard?
360 CS - 118 hp / liter
430 Scud - 118 hp / liter

BTW, hp per liter (specific output) is just one measure. I think specific output per lb of weight and specific output per dollar cost are also relevant. Hard to beat Honda's s/o per dollar value. Longevity is also highly relevant for street cars - I suspect Honda scores well there too?

Regarding torque, it was Honda that first came out with variable valve timing (vtec), wasn't it?

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 05-19-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:35 PM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

Default GTR fails!

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...is-why-we.html

incase you guys missed it.
Old 05-19-2008 | 04:26 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

The new GT-R is too new to tell, but the older GT-R did compete in LeMans.. in 95, it was 10th overall, 5th in its GT-1 class (beaten only by McLaren F1 GTRs), and in 96, it finished 15th overall, and 10th in class. (again competing in the GT-1 class)

Since it ran in the GT-1 class, it probably never compete head to head w/ the 911s..

Speed Geek
the stories of tranny failures on the GT-R are starting to hit the shores. Nissan put a big package together but the question is, was it engineered properly? I have heard now that if you mod the motor you are looking at a 100% chance of a tranny failure. I dont know that for a fact but thats what I have been reading.
So what if it has 500+ hp? could it compete at LeMans? or even an enduro. I know the GT3 can.
I still think this will die down and we will move on.
Old 05-19-2008 | 04:39 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
OG, that article is for you.
Old 05-19-2008 | 04:40 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

This is an existential question. Can the truth get more true? What about Truth with a capital t?
Old 05-19-2008 | 05:42 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

When is the damm thing coming out so we can see for our selves????
Old 05-19-2008 | 06:42 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nissan only has mined so much of the alien plasma from Roswell to line the engine bores, and has a tough time finding enough chupacabra labor to ramp up the production line. There is also a shortage of the magic pixie dust that helps the DSG cogs hardened enough to withstand the power of GODZIRWA.
Old 05-19-2008 | 07:11 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eclou
Nissan only has mined so much of the alien plasma from Roswell to line the engine bores, and has a tough time finding enough chupacabra labor to ramp up the production line. There is also a shortage of the magic pixie dust that helps the DSG cogs hardened enough to withstand the power of GODZIRWA.

Priceless, especially Godzirwa.
Old 05-19-2008 | 08:10 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crispenigl
When is the damm thing coming out so we can see for our selves????
I saw the car in person and in action lapping the NRing a weekend ago. I actually like the way the car looks but is huge and looks huge, specially the 20" wheels.

Very Japaneese indeed. Style will look cool for a short while but will fade away in memory easily, but it has to be a market success given the performance so a successor is almost a guarantee (assuming Nissan continues to deliver financially).

I would buy one if it were RWD, as AWD is not my cup of tea irrespective of point A to B performance. Nevertheless it is an impressive engineering machine. Reliability, IMO is only an issue if the tranny cannot really withstand the duties with the stock engine. If you upgrade the power, then its the owner's problem and not Nissan's
Old 05-20-2008 | 12:29 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Speed Geek
the stories of tranny failures on the GT-R are starting to hit the shores. Nissan put a big package together but the question is, was it engineered properly? I have heard now that if you mod the motor you are looking at a 100% chance of a tranny failure. I dont know that for a fact but thats what I have been reading.
So what if it has 500+ hp? could it compete at LeMans? or even an enduro. I know the GT3 can.
I still think this will die down and we will move on.
Putting your transmission problem claims aside, let me address your question about Le Mans. Nissan raced an endurance version of the Skyline at Le Mans in 1995 and 1996, in 95 the best result was 10th overall and 5th in GT1 category, the 4 teams that beat the Skyline in its class were running McLaren F1s, no less.

Considering how quickly Nissan developed a GTR racer based on the current R35 model, we could hope to see a GTR compete at Le Mans, however I don't think it will be allowed to run in the same class as the 997 GT3RSR (which runs in the GT2 class).

Regards,
Chris
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true