Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:31 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

my lease guy says many banks will allow a lease of up to 124% of retail, to help people get out of upside-down trade-ins.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
And we are entitled to our GTR opinions - one can honestly find it porky and horrendous looking without being a "snob" or "insecure". It's called taste. Different strokes...
agreed.

The only "fat poop" here, therefore, is your ill-considered post. Ciao.
wait a second. i thought we just agreed we can constructively criticize without being considered snobbish and insecure. it seems now the individual criticizing the design of the 911 is now full of fat oop and ill-considered. sounds like that level of accommodation and license only passes one way?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Evo
yeah but at least its not tapered at both ends like turds and 911's

I really love Porsches, but I think its funny when 911 folks call other cars ugly, because 911's have always seemed kind of awkward and ungainly to me , like a fat poop in the bowl (I think there are other Porsche models past and present that are far better looking) and to make things worse, have a fundamental design flaw as their very foundation (an engine hanging out their ***).

Everybody has different taste and opinions but anybody who really tries to put down the GT-R is either just a snob, or
is feeling a bit insecure about why the spent all that mony on their Porsche / Ferrari / Whatever....

Porsche builds great cars...its conceivable that so do other makers like Nissan.... its not like they just pulled the GT-R out of their ***... they have been building them a long time.

I think I will now be flamed, and I deserve it.. I opened the door, but I just couldn't bite my tonge any longer, had to get it off my chest.

Obviously a troll
Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Obviously a troll
no , not a troll. ACtually been a member here since 1999 when I had my 944, but I lost my old account info and had to re-sign up. So now I am a fresh noob.

I actually DO think the GT-R is way to heavy for my taste. Given the choice of a GT3 or GT-R, I wouyld choose the GT3. I like the styling of the GT3, I think the wing really helps (changes the profile of the car drastically, looks better than normal Carrera). Why would I choose one? I just have ALWAYS liked Porsches, I don't know why.

From a styling perspective, I think the cayman is better looking that normal Carreras, but I have to say that the GT3s looks wicked.

So, I am not a troll, and not a hater. I guess my point was, the GT-R is not a terrible car. Its not everybody's cup of tea, but that is no reason to hate it or make excuses about why its not as good as XX car. I actually like the styling, I think it looks aggressive... but I think 3800 lbs is insane for a 2 door sports car. I also like AWD.. but not with 3800 lbs attached. I think folks can love their porsches and still appreciate that the GT-R is the real deal... its a serious performance car that brings a lot to the table. Not make a million excuses as to why the GT-R is over-hyped.

My message was inflammatory and overdone. Guilty as charged. And I apologize. But I was trying to make a point. I should have toned it down.

I like cars. and the GT-R seem like it might be a mighty fine car. Don't see why owners of other marques need to put it down.

Oh, and why am I in the GT3 forum? I spend a lot of time reading and searching for info because I am considering buying GT3... but undecided, so trying to learn a lot (and all of you are a great source of info).

so, no, not a troll. Just felt like people really were trying hard to find reasons to hate what actually should be a pretty damn good car.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

In my Car and Driver magazine I received yesterday it says in a comparo the BMW M3 wins from the GTR and the GTR wins over a 997TT.

The winner M3 is the best all around car with great balance abd most fun to drive according to the article?! A big part of the reason was weight and price.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
In my Car and Driver magazine I received yesterday it says in a comparo the BMW M3 wins from the GTR and the GTR wins over a 997TT.

The winner M3 is the best all around car with great balance abd most fun to drive according to the article?! A big part of the reason was weight and price.
WTF is wrong with these magazines? I can see them testing the GTR against a turbo (since that was supposedly the performance "target" for the car), but an M3?! Is there anyone out there trying to decide between an M3 and a 911 Turbo? Why didn't they just go ahead and throw in a Zonda, a Citroen, and a Maybach?
Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
wait a second. i thought we just agreed we can constructively criticize without being considered snobbish and insecure. it seems now the individual criticizing the design of the 911 is now full of fat oop and ill-considered. sounds like that level of accommodation and license only passes one way?

"Fat poop" was HIS term, not mine - was just tossing it back where it belonged - IMO that rendered his criticism less than considered.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by am722
Is there anyone out there trying to decide between an M3 and a 911 Turbo?
Of course, it's not always about buying the most expensive car you can afford.

The M3 does some things better than the Turbo and vice versa.
If I am looking for a good daily driver that is fairly practical the M3 would be a better choice even if I could afford the Turbo. I can actually invite people to sit in the back, especially in the sedan version. I can only do the same as a joke with the Turbo.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
Of course, it's not always about buying the most expensive car you can afford.

If I am looking for a good daily driver that is fairly practical the M3 would be a better choice even if I could afford the Turbo. I can actually invite people to sit in the back, especially in the sedan version. I can only do the same as a joke with the Turbo.
I completely agree with everything you said; my point was not that anybody with the cash would obviously go for the Turbo, just that they are totally different cars in vastly different price ranges that share very little in common (other than the fact that C+D decided it would be a good idea to toss them in the same comparo). Didn't intend to scoff at the M3 at all--I expect it's a hell of a car.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM
dagor6
Advanced

Originally Posted by amaist
If I am looking for a good daily driver that is fairly practical the M3 would be a better choice even if I could afford the Turbo. I.
I have a 335 as a daily driver, it's much better than the M3 for this purpose because the engine is fun without you having to kick the crap out of it and if you want to chip it, it makes 350 rwhp, more with a pipe and an intake.

The traction control is also top notch, put it in intermediate mode and slam on the gas and spin the wheel anywhere you want. It skids but stays in control, an absolute ton of fun and very safe.

That being said, that's what I see the GT-R for, it's 65K base or something? Same as an M3? All the electronic nannies are like the 335 but probably much better. To me it's just a daily driver that you get to slam on the gas with and yank the wheel whenever you feel like it without committing.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:38 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

i wonder what the actual out of door costs are for these cars. huge premium on gt-r, for sure. maybe buy one for $100k which is a 50% premium. m3 may get a little less over list than that but still substantial while tt may get a discount. that really matters come time to sell or trade in.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dagor6
I have a 335 as a daily driver, it's much better than the M3 for this purpose because the engine is fun without you having to kick the crap out of it and if you want to chip it, it makes 350 rwhp, more with a pipe and an intake.

You have a 335 what? You mean a BMW 335? And it makes what hp with what?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
dagor6
Advanced

All I'm saying is comparing a daily driver with something as insane as a GT3 doesn't always look at the big picture. The GT3 is way better than a GTR, but a GTR could be a good daily driver

Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

the 335 is the biggest performance bargain that BMW has turned in quite some time. A chipped 335 turned a 12.8 1/4 at Hennessey's track at the Supra Nationals. That's Z8 performance for entry level pricing.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 AM
Carefree
Pro

While I was getting my new Cup tires installed, I had a chance to read the May 2008 article of GT-R vs Z06 vs 911TT and while they hyped the GT-R (all they could) and showed data to support their hype, all I could think was "it is a Nissan" which they also said.
They even mentioned that and the fact that it was not German engineering even though that was Nissan's "benchmark".
The only Asian car I have had fun in (driving) was my 02 Honda S2000. BUT it was NO comparision to a GERMAN car. I have really liked all of the BMW's I have had, but I feel a Pcar is more pure. This is just my opinion. An Asian car is still an Asian car. Ultimatly the consumer will decide, unfortunitaly there are more people buying $70k cars than the $130k cars so that will upset the actual fugures.
As fast as 'they" say it is, it is still ugly or "robotic" as they called it.

04 GT3, seats, bar, harnesses, tires

Previous Mentionable Cars:
06 BMW M3 SMG - Tracked
01 911 Twin Turbo - Fast
02 Honda S2000, lots of fun!
77 930 Turbo – A real Handful
81 911SC – My first Porsche
68 Shelby GT500 – all Original
70 Mach-1 – Black Beauty

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true