Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 03:47 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not care how fast it is... it is fugly. The front looks like a giant fish mouth. There will always be something faster.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Here is the quote from TTAC I referred to:

No small part of the current GT-R lovefest can be attributed to the car’s 7:38 Nürburgring lap time. As TTAC has pointed out, there are real questions about the Green Hellmobile’s qualifications for the title “second fastest production car around the ‘Ring.” The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the Nissan’s “historic run” clearly shows that the GT-R had a flying start. All other manufacturers testing at the ‘Ring use standing starts for published lap times. The video also proves that the car's lap time was not measured at the exact same location (start and stop). Take these two factors into account, and the 7:40 claim seems highly dubious.

The icing on the cake: GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno’s subsequent admission from that "We used cut slick tyres." If that doesn’t cancel their claim, nothing does.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

So Michael Jordan traveled on the last three baskets of the game to get to 60pts. He took an extra step and the zebras gave him a little too much benefit of the doubt. I guess only scoring 54pts would have changed the entire complexion of Sundays headlines.

You can find a small JATO under the chassis for all I care. Its not going to wash clean the mindbending performance its capable of. I dont care if the thing is running on racing slicks or bias ply 115s off a 57 Beetle.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Here is the quote from TTAC I referred to:

No small part of the current GT-R lovefest can be attributed to the car’s 7:38 Nürburgring lap time. As TTAC has pointed out, there are real questions about the Green Hellmobile’s qualifications for the title “second fastest production car around the ‘Ring.” The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the Nissan’s “historic run” clearly shows that the GT-R had a flying start. All other manufacturers testing at the ‘Ring use standing starts for published lap times. The video also proves that the car's lap time was not measured at the exact same location (start and stop). Take these two factors into account, and the 7:40 claim seems highly dubious.

The icing on the cake: GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno’s subsequent admission from that "We used cut slick tyres." If that doesn’t cancel their claim, nothing does.
Where does that info come from? I found it on Thetruthaboutcars.com but there is no real source in that article that I can find (nor for that matter that manufacturers use a standing start).

Did you read this article?
http://www.drivers-republic.com/news...e_14_05_08.cfm

"First up that Nurburgring lap. The target for the GTR was always 7:30 - and it had to be achieved in a fully representative 'customer-spec' car. Mizuno is quite clear on this: 'This time was set on a totally standard car, just like a customer will get. For us 'Time Attack' must be repeatable in a customer car. No special brake pads or cut-slick tyres - everything was standard GTR.' The time, set on April 8th, was achieved on the Dunlop SP Sport 600 DSST tyre that is standard on the basic GTR (i.e. non Premium or 'Black' spec, which both have Bridgestone RE070R tyres)."
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

The latest C&D has a 3 way comparo of the M3, GTR, 997tt. The 997 handily out accelerates the GTR in every range, and the track lap advantage of the GTR is 1 second. Reset the ridiculous -0.4 front camber of the 997 and I would expect that advantage would disappear altogether. The GT3/RS would have matched the GTR in accel and probably turned a faster lap as well. As ugly as the GTR is, the price advantage is impossible to deny
Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
The latest C&D has a 3 way comparo of the M3, GTR, 997tt. The 997 handily out accelerates the GTR in every range, and the track lap advantage of the GTR is 1 second. Reset the ridiculous -0.4 front camber of the 997 and I would expect that advantage would disappear altogether. The GT3/RS would have matched the GTR in accel and probably turned a faster lap as well. As ugly as the GTR is, the price advantage is impossible to deny
Hey eclou, being a current owner of a 997TT, have you measured 0-60 times of your car? If so what's the best you've achieved? I'm only curious as this is not the sole standard I hold all cars to.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

It's has been 10 years since Porsche AG is in Le Mans....
...hmmm... some are over due as well!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:31 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Hey eclou, being a current owner of a 997TT, have you measured 0-60 times of your car? If so what's the best you've achieved? I'm only curious as this is not the sole standard I hold all cars to.
Darin I have never done a hard standing start launch. My 997tt puts 640whp and the clutch would not probably not last very long. For comparo though, my car launched softly (0-60 in 4.5 sec) and into a 20mph headwind did 0-186 mph in 28 sec. By comparo the stock 7TT takes 40 sec and the 7GT3 47 sec.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Darin I have never done a hard standing start launch. My 997tt puts 640whp and the clutch would not probably not last very long. For comparo though, my car launched softly (0-60 in 4.5 sec) and into a 20mph headwind did 0-186 mph in 28 sec. By comparo the stock 7TT takes 40 sec and the 7GT3 47 sec.
Jesus, what did it take for it to put down that power? Did you change any hardware or was it all software?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:03 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

I have yet to see a Nordschleife record lap timed from a standing start.

That info is erroneous.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 AM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by AC coupe
I can't imagine something with more variety than the Nürburgring. Fiorano is flat (save for the little overpass) and smooth.

The ring has more camber changes and bumps than you can shake a stick at.

Vomit Comet and other stories
Yeah, I was instructing at the Scuderia and it was interesting to watch some of the Ferraris bottoming out on the little jumps which the Porsches took in stride. Maybe they should do a bit of testing here.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Jesus, what did it take for it to put down that power? Did you change any hardware or was it all software?
details
Old 05-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hammerwerfer
I have yet to see a Nordschleife record lap timed from a standing start.

That info is erroneous.
If that's correct, we're cumulating a pretty handsome list of lies and utterly unsubstantiated rumors that are being generated to discredit the GTR, which goes to show how threatening this car is to the people who haven't yet accepted that top performance is no longer the exclusive attire of European exotics.

For the longest time, performance was the number 1 issue of conversation and at the core of ownership pride, now that the GTR has come along and 'trivialized' speed, we read members stating things like "I don't care how fast it is"! Same deal with Ring times, we've been referring to them for decades as a great benchmark, now that a new car (a glorified Datsun of all brands) is putting established records in perspective, people come out to claim Ring numbers are meaningless. Talk about denial!

GTR engineers must be laughing, the nay sayers arguing about tenths are doing the marketing job for Nissan by creating this huge controversy about whether the GTR is a fraction of a second faster or slower than cars costing twice the price with half as much utility and questionable reliability. The point is, and only elaborate lies are attempting to challenging this: the GTR is competing with the very best while addressing almost all downsides typically associated with high performance cars (except weight perhaps). Some may find satisfaction in showing that a 997turbo accelerates a tenth faster than a GTR, the truth is getting this close to a long standing performance standard is nothing short of admirable.

My point is, this will get Porsche and others to accelerate their development work and that's GREAT news.

Regards,
Chris
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
If that's correct, we're cumulating a pretty handsome list of lies and utterly unsubstantiated rumors that are being generated to discredit the GTR, which goes to show how threatening this car is to the people who haven't yet accepted that top performance is no longer the exclusive attire of European exotics.

For the longest time, performance was the number 1 issue of conversation and at the core of ownership pride, now that the GTR has come along and 'trivialized' speed, we read members stating things like "I don't care how fast it is"! Same deal with Ring times, we've been referring to them for decades as a great benchmark, now that a new car (a glorified Datsun of all brands) is putting established records in perspective, people come out to claim Ring numbers are meaningless. Talk about denial!

GTR engineers must be laughing, the nay sayers arguing about tenths are doing the marketing job for Nissan by creating this huge controversy about whether the GTR is a fraction of a second faster or slower than cars costing twice the price with half as much utility and questionable reliability. The point is, and only elaborate lies are attempting to challenging this: the GTR is competing with the very best while addressing almost all downsides typically associated with high performance cars (except weight perhaps). Some may find satisfaction in showing that a 997turbo accelerates a tenth faster than a GTR, the truth is getting this close to a long standing performance standard is nothing short of admirable.

My point is, this will get Porsche and others to accelerate their development work and that's GREAT news.

Regards,
Chris
x100

I just wish the GTR, and our Porsches, weighed substantially less. Too bad engineers do not seem to focus as much energy upon making the cars lighter as they do developing technologies -- as great as they may be -- for compensating for the bloated weight and size.

TD
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all we cared about was performance, I think we'd all be driving Radicals. But I do agree that to the extent the GTR's performance pushes Porsche to accelerate their development work, it's a good thing.

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true