Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I am sure I can trust my local Nissan mechanic to fix a plasma cylinder problem. His name is Johnny Johnson number 423 out of 450 in his High school class.

BTW I read in another forum that since the Plasma is REALLY SENSITVE TO horsepower- tuning the motor after market
may void the warranty.
As you so rightfully pointed out, a plasma cylinder repair should be a walk in the park for your local Nissan dealership, lol... After all, they were so talented that it took 7 visits to get a rear tailshaft seal sorted out under warranty on mine (200sx, not GTR)!!!

As with most companies, any mods on a Nissan here= No warranty

Maybe this is why it costs half as much for a GTR, because you end up on par after a couple engine changes?...

Last edited by 911rox; 04-13-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumors or Truth

Eclou,
What GT-R forums are you drawing reference to? Or are you just starting rumors?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Jewel did what I did Google GT-R forum.
I found his statement in about 2 minutes.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewels
Eclou,
What GT-R forums are you drawing reference to? Or are you just starting rumors?
just starting rumors of course

it is interesting that Nissan officially is claiming production delays on "clutch supplies" which I find to be very suspect. It would make more sense that delays may be due more to optimizing the block manufacturing.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
DaTruth
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Jewel did what I did Google GT-R forum.
I found his statement in about 2 minutes.
Where did you graduate in Your HS class?

Do you really think that your Porsche mechanic has a Mech. degree from CMU or MIT?

Chill out on this topic, drop the elitist attitude, and just have fun discussing about Porsche not defending them, leave that for track days .

Later
Old 04-13-2008, 07:54 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by DaTruth
Do you really think that your Porsche mechanic has a Mech. degree from CMU or MIT?
Well, yes. I resemble that comment.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any paragraph from Nissan citing a "crutch" problem...would get my vote for parody...

And whilst DaTruth just joined Rennlist to express his dismay with the elitist chatter...

this thread has definite overtones of "superior our art be"....
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My Porsche mechanic went to Harvard but dropped out because they censored his conservative views.
He then joined the navy and became a SEAL. He was going to get out after his enlistment but got a battlefield officers commision in the Gulf War I and stayed in. Went to Flight school at Miramar. And after 300 carrier traps retired as a flight Squadron XO. He was recruited by the CIA and they sent him to Law school at the University of Michigan, so he could practice constitutional law and advise the CIA when they might be stepping on someones constitutional rights. After he retired in 2002 he became a Porsche Mechanic and wrenches on my cars.
why do you ask? BTW I graduated in the top 5% of my high school class but in Texas thats not that big of a deal.
I went to Cal State and got my EE with a minor in Math, and graduated 5th out of 22 students. Only 7 of use spoke English.
I think the only ones who need to chill out are those that create an identity to come in here and post one post.
Have a great week
Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing I know I'd dislike about owning a GT-R is taking it to my local Nissan dealership for service. It's too tight maneuvering around, cars are on top of one another; there's nowhere to park, it's a mess of customer cars whose owners don't care how they get into or out of the parking spots - and it's just plain ratty.

I'm sure newer, state of the art Nissan dealers are better, but if you don't have one of those near you, well..

It would be much nicer taking a GT-R to an Infinity dealer. Our local Infinity dealer is a newer facility. It's not a mad-house trying to get in and out. It's clean and well kept. The staff is more professional. It's just a much better enviornment for car people.

Many high end and most new-style car dealers have nicer drop-off areas (often drive through), more free space, better thoroughfares, etc. IMO, having a nice place to service the car makes a big difference in ownership experience.

My $.02

Last edited by TTRob; 04-13-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When we had a Lexus I appreciated the Lwxus dealer in Beverly Hills more than the Toyota dealer in Ridgecrest .
Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 PM
FooFighterGT3
Intermediate

The GT-R will be difficult to service. The service manager at my local Nissan dealer said many dealers decided NOT to get any GT-R's solely because they did not want to service them. I guess they have to get a substantial amount of extra training and many dealers do not want to pay for it.

Nissans have been known to have clutch problems. I think there are numerous 350Z owners who's clutches went bad (pedal would stick to the floor) and Nissan still hasn't solved the problem (over 2 years).
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Only some Nissan dealers are going to carry the GT-R. The mechanics need to go through the training so that they do more than just drool when a GT-R shows up for service.

But overall there will still be more Nissan dealers who service GT-Rs than Porsche dealers.

What I do see as a problem is overall lack of built up knowledge about the GT-R. It is very different from anything else seen by the dealer techs. On the other hand GT3s are not as exotic and are relatively uncomplicated and similar to other Porsches.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FooFighterGT3
The GT-R will be difficult to service. The service manager at my local Nissan dealer said many dealers decided NOT to get any GT-R's solely because they did not want to service them. I guess they have to get a substantial amount of extra training and many dealers do not want to pay for it.

Nissans have been known to have clutch problems. I think there are numerous 350Z owners who's clutches went bad (pedal would stick to the floor) and Nissan still hasn't solved the problem (over 2 years).

Our dealer, which is getting 5 GTR's to start, had to invest in a very expensive special lift just for the GTR, and of course send the mechanic(s) to a special school just for the car. The number that I heard on the lift itself was very high, and that combined with the training does not appear to allow the dealer to make any kind of a profit from GTR sales for at least the first year.

I'm glad that a friend of mine is getting one of the 5 cars, and I expect that he will let me drive it. I look forward to this.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 AM
gete3
Instructor

Two Consecutive Wins In Opening Rounds for NISSAN GT-R

http://finchannel.com/index.php?opti...0473&Itemid=47

XANAVI NISMO GT-R(#23 Satoshi Motoyama / Benoit Treluyer), starting from pole position led the race from the start, accomplishing a pole-to-flag victory, to get their second consecutive win after the first round of the 2008 season.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by gete3
Two Consecutive Wins In Opening Rounds for NISSAN GT-R

http://finchannel.com/index.php?opti...0473&Itemid=47

XANAVI NISMO GT-R(#23 Satoshi Motoyama / Benoit Treluyer), starting from pole position led the race from the start, accomplishing a pole-to-flag victory, to get their second consecutive win after the first round of the 2008 season.
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that car has very little to do with the street car other than the name and the shape of the body.

Super GT (used to be called "JGTC") racers are basically silhouette racers, made to look like their street going counterparts, but the underpinnings are almost completely bespoke. or at least different enough from the road cars that they cannot be seen as really related to the roadcar under the skin (think NASCAR except far more sophisticated and expensive).

i THINK that the new racing GT-R is fundamentally the same under the skin as the outgoing 350Z racing car-- which itself was virtually identical under the skin as a Renault branded silhouette racer used in some series in Europe (Renault owning Nissan obviously).

Not to take anything away from Nissan's string of victories. I've watched a Super GT race live, and it is quite the spectacle with some simply amazing machinery.

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true