Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Bigmikee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

thank you, Bxstr, for your response.

One last question. This 997 spent five years and 30,000 miles in Canada from 2010-2015. Is that enough time for it to get some rust? I noticed some brown spots on the rear underbody of the car
—has rust taken over?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigmikee
thank you, Bxstr, for your response.

One last question. This 997 spent five years and 30,000 miles in Canada from 2010-2015. Is that enough time for it to get some rust? I noticed some brown spots on the rear underbody of the car
—has rust taken over?
Most 997's that I have seen even not in those climates have some spots on the exhaust parts and such. That wouldn't be much of a concern for me. I would check the Carfax/Carproof vehicle history report just to see if it has ever been serviced in the winter which might give you a good idea if it was driven in the winter or not. I would get a thorough PPI and see what it comes back like. If it comes back clean and you like it then I would consider purchasing.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Bigmikee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Most 997's that I have seen even not in those climates have some spots on the exhaust parts and such. That wouldn't be much of a concern for me. I would check the Carfax/Carproof vehicle history report just to see if it has ever been serviced in the winter which might give you a good idea if it was driven in the winter or not. I would get a thorough PPI and see what it comes back like. If it comes back clean and you like it then I would consider purchasing.
thanks again for your thoughts, Bxstr. I know I said one last question, but here is one last set of questions. This 997 has 125,000 miles on the body, but got a completely new engine five years ago (around 25,000 miles ago) and a new transmission three years ago. I went to look at the car yesterday and owner had the receipts from Canada. Car was solid, felt great, and other than a questionable repaint of the bumpers, looked great. I plan on getting a PPI done next week, but the high miles on the body scare me. What are the major things that could go wrong on a high miles 997 with a newer engine? Assuming the PPI checks out, what would be a fair price on this car (2007 c2s coupe, black, manual, aftermarket wheels, great interior condition, new tires and brakes)? Thanks so much.

Last edited by Bigmikee; 05-13-2018 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 05-13-2018, 12:54 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 152 Posts

Both are fantastic cars, but I do agree. The 997.2 took what I would already consider a perfect car and made it more reliable. People on here can actually argue why a 997.2 is better over a 991.1 or why a 991.1 is better than a 991.2 (if you want an NA engine), but I dont think there is much to be argued for in the 997.1 over the 997.2, except for the fact that it is more fully depreciated. Oh and to anyone that has a 997.1, you have an amazing car, especially since they are fully depreciated more or less. I was just saying that if someone was saying they had $60k to spend and could either get a 997.1 or a 997.2, I would tell them to pick the 997.2.
I can't stand the center console on the 997.1, and the IMS 'issue' would always be in the back of my mind as the car aged. The DFI engine was a significant upgrade on the .2.

The 997.1 Turbos though are starting to look pretty attractive.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayson
I can't stand the center console on the 997.1, and the IMS 'issue' would always be in the back of my mind as the car aged. The DFI engine was a significant upgrade on the .2.

The 997.1 Turbos though are starting to look pretty attractive.
I agree, I was trying to be as neutral as possible when I was stating my thoughts. I bought a 997.2 for many reasons, mostly PDK and the fact that I had an IMS bearing go on a 986 Boxster. Never again.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigmikee

thanks again for your thoughts, Bxstr. I know I said one last question, but here is one last set of questions. This 997 has 125,000 miles on the body, but got a completely new engine five years ago (around 25,000 miles ago) and a new transmission three years ago. I went to look at the car yesterday and owner had the receipts from Canada. Car was solid, felt great, and other than a questionable repaint of the bumpers, looked great. I plan on getting a PPI done next week, but the high miles on the body scare me. What are the major things that could go wrong on a high miles 997 with a newer engine? Assuming the PPI checks out, what would be a fair price on this car (2007 c2s coupe, black, manual, aftermarket wheels, great interior condition, new tires and brakes)? Thanks so much.
My main concern is always that the car with the new engine has been driven consistently. When the IMS bearing is not lubricated constantly by being driven and it is just sitting halfway in oil thats when something goes wrong. If all of the consumables look ok, like tires and brakes, only other concern would be suspension components that probably need to be done soon. Yes, 125,000 for a 911 is a lot of miles, specifically a 997, but what we all have to keep in mind is that is only around 12,000 miles per year that it was driven which is still below the industry average of 15,000 miles. Hmm, fair price, I am just going to toss a number out there of what I would be willing to pay and that would be around $25,000. I see the new engine as a positive, being that it only has 25,000 miles on it. Some may say it is worth less than that, so let some other people chime in.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:37 PM
JBT3
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JBT3
Just posted by 2009 C4S Cab in the classified section: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...l#post14973596

Less than 34,500 miles. Asking $64,997. Details in ad:

Well, I've had a lot of views and a few nibbles, but no one has pulled the trigger. I've lowered the asking price to $61,997. It's going up on ebay tomorrow.

Part of me says I've been asking too much, but I also look at other C4S with a similar or slightly less price, but more miles or PDK being called good deals. Market will obviously decide. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and let's talk.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:42 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I've had a lot of views and a few nibbles, but no one has pulled the trigger. I've lowered the asking price to $61,997. It's going up on ebay tomorrow.

Part of me says I've been asking too much, but I also look at other C4S with a similar or slightly less price, but more miles or PDK being called good deals. Market will obviously decide. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and let's talk.
That’s a beautiful car. You get what you pay for ... and that is a car worth paying for.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are all great cars but for most buyers the trims are interchangeable and the miles within reason are interchangeable.

Just a quick scan of cabs, S-cabs - $62k puts you at the very high side of the market. Including the highest priced ones that CG shows as being $8000 over market )and I personally believe that CG is often $4-8k over market.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...earch=49314874

This search of just 4 s-cabs also show your price as high - by as much as $11k

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...#resultsPage=1

3 of those cars have been on the market an avg of 100 days plus. (2 @ 120, 1 @ 80 ) One of them priced $15k less than yours.

This RWD with no stories is similar to yours at $62k but only 7000 miles.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=206990526

The very right buyer that wants exactly the options you have might pay $55-57 but there are a lot of choices at that level.

Last but not least, at those prices for a 997.2 the records and history must be pristine. (Every milestone checked within 1000 miles or 3 months).

I have seen way too many PDKs that have not had the 6 year service done because they haven't hit 60k miles. That's retarded. It's not an 'or' choice it's a 'when' choice. Especially when failing to maintain a PDK can be as costly an item to neglect.

Last edited by Meursault88; 05-13-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:17 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
Nothing wrong, but some things to be aware of. You've been around long enough to know. With the newer DFI engine, PDK (if not manual) and updated PCM, the .2 is a better car.
Yes, but it's also 10-15k more, which makes a big difference. A case can be made that a $31k 997.1 is a better value than a $46k 997.2, just as a case can be made that the 997.2 at $15k more is a better value.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:20 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I agree: very nice car! Cabs are tough sells around here, and anything that isn't a giveaway price can also be a tough sell; it doesn't mean the car isn't priced right, it only means that this forum isn't a great place to sell cars.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Just wondering if you also tried to trade it in or sell it to a dealer and how much less they were going to give you.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:24 PM
JBT3
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_

That’s a beautiful car. You get what you pay for ... and that is a car worth paying for.
Thanks and I agree.

Originally Posted by Meursault88
They are all great cars but for most buyers the trims are interchangeable and the miles within reason are interchangeable.

Just a quick scan of cabs, S-cabs - $62k puts you at the very high side of the market. Including the highest priced ones that CG shows as being $8000 over market )and I personally believe that CG is often $4-8k over market.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...earch=49314874

This search of just 4 s-cabs also show your price as high - by as much as $11k

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...#resultsPage=1

3 of those cars have been on the market an avg of 100 days plus. (2 @ 120, 1 @ 80 ) One of them priced $15k less than yours.

This RWD with no stories is similar to yours at $62k but only 7000 miles.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=206990526

The very right buyer that wants exactly the options you have might pay $55-57 but there are a lot of choices at that level.

Last but not least, at those prices for a 997.2 the records and history must be pristine. (Every milestone checked within 1000 miles or 3 months).

I have seen way too many PDKs that have not had the 6 year service done because they haven't hit 60k miles. That's retarded. It's not an 'or' choice it's a 'when' choice. Especially when failing to maintain a PDK can be as costly an item to neglect.
You may be right that I'm at the high end, but to me at least a manual is much more desirable than a PDK. Note all the records on the car are up to date or ahead of schedule. Appreciate the response.

Originally Posted by raidersfan
I agree: very nice car! Cabs are tough sells around here, and anything that isn't a giveaway price can also be a tough sell; it doesn't mean the car isn't priced right, it only means that this forum isn't a great place to sell cars.
Yeah, Cabs don't get as much love here for whatever reason. No use debating it, as its about personal taste. To each their own. I love it. This is my third convertible. It puts me in touch with my 12 year old self screaming around on my go-cart in the back yard. Maybe not as much as my S2000 did, but it's impossible not to smile driving it. Thanks for the complements.

Just wondering if you also tried to trade it in or sell it to a dealer and how much less they were going to give you.
Negative. I didn't try knowing one can also get more private party. I'm also trying to downgrade and anything I'd get at a dealer would be much lower in value than the C4S. I have thought of consigning it to a dealer, but for now I'd rather keep trying myself. Only takes one buyer.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:35 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Negative. I didn't try knowing one can also get more private party. I'm also trying to downgrade and anything I'd get at a dealer would be much lower in value than the C4S. I have thought of consigning it to a dealer, but for now I'd rather keep trying myself. Only takes one buyer.
I believe his question was to give you a baseline of what to ask for. What a dealer would offer you would be your floor.
FYI, you're priced about $10k over market with those miles.
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:30 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a nicely wrapped 997.2 Turbo including 2 sets of wheels. Seems like a decent price
https://autohauslancasterporsche.com...+Black+1656081

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)