Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:06 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Full repaint for "cosmetic" reasons and an owner who wants to flip a couple months after buying screams shady. I would not touch that car. I am from Houston and of course you know that many cars around this area were flooded in the hurricane. If you are interested, make sure they do a very thorough analysis of the interior electronics, and search for any frame damage.

Here's a quote from one of his listing: "Car was repainted before purchase. After multiple inspections could not find a motive, so assuming it was the same reason I had my Boxster repainted, aesthetics." Looks like last week he was selling it for $33k.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:21 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Full repaint for "cosmetic" reasons and an owner who wants to flip a couple months after buying screams shady. I would not touch that car. I am from Houston and of course you know that many cars around this area were flooded in the hurricane. If you are interested, make sure they do a very thorough analysis of the interior electronics, and search for any frame damage.

Here's a quote from one of his listing: "Car was repainted before purchase. After multiple inspections could not find a motive, so assuming it was the same reason I had my Boxster repainted, aesthetics." Looks like last week he was selling it for $33k.
The owner said it was not in a flood so that would be hard to hide it if it was flooded. Yeah I would definitely get a good PPI if I was to pursue this car. First thing I would do is get rid of the hideous black rims, black on black is the ugliest **** ever! I would probably take the black tint off as well as the top wrap liner. I'm not a fan of the two tone interior and wish it was all black or tan. If you're going to add an aftermarket head unit, make sure it has a built in GPS, I don't like having to use my phone with the head unit. It's not the most desirable car with the Tiptronic but does have a lot of other good options. The good? Low miles and price. The bad? Need a good PPI to be determined.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:56 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A full repaint makes me nervous....there are so many of these cars out there in great, original (or close to it) condition. We're not talking about a resprayed bumper cover here. I think it's well worth the money to investigate the latter. There's a reason why the PO went to town on the entire car. You have no idea how good of a paint job was done, which is largely A LOT of labor in prep. It might look good for another 2 years then start peeling/crazing/clouding. That would really suck. Nothing worse than that, cuz you gotta do it again - the right way, and even if it's done correctly, will never be as valuable for resale as factory paint in good shape. It's just not the same. IMO.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM
jayson
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 115 Posts

I want to know who does a color change for 'cosmetic reasons' when you could just sell the car and buy the color you want for much cheaper. A quality respray is going to run in the $7-$10k range at least.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:54 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Not at Earl Shibe!!
Old 04-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Really high option 997.2 C2S with lots of deviated stitching and leather options.

https://www.porscheoftacoma.com/inve...TALLIC+1830679
Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 PM
ademnezi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting a PPI done on this monday. Hope everything checks out. Will be my first 911. Just sold a 2011 Cayman last week and have been looking for a C2S since then.
What do you think about the Mileage? this car has 79k. Any major maintenance issues that will come up soon?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:04 PM
ademnezi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiAperture
This will be one to keep an eye on. Dealer has it listed as a C4S, but if the VIN on the Carfax is accurate it is a C2S. Really great spec, PDK, Basalt Black, full leather, LSD, Sport Chrono Plus. Been on second owner since 2010 and serviced at Porsche of North Houston until end of 2016, where all records of the car just stop (the only concerning part?). Didn't post listing image since there are no photos yet. 79k miles, $42,995.
http://www.highlineautosales.com/veh...il-id-23637757
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...468&source=BUP
Getting a PPI done on this monday. Hope everything checks out. Will be my first 911. Just sold a 2011 Cayman last week and have been looking for a C2S since then.
What do you think about the Mileage? this car has 79k. Any major maintenance issues that will come up soon?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Really high option 997.2 C2S with lots of deviated stitching and leather options.

https://www.porscheoftacoma.com/inve...TALLIC+1830679
C4S actually.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
C4S actually.
Thank you for clarifying, I noticed too based on the light bar but still wrote what they put, my brain must have been thinking C2S still.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Correct spelling for body color actually is Carrara White
Old 04-14-2018, 10:58 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
2010 PDK for sale on PCA w/ 50k. Has aftermarket GT3 RS style front and rear bumpers. Thoughts on price?

https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/327808

Correct spelling actually is CarrAra White
Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
C4S actually.
And PDK. Porsche dealer gets model and transmission wrong. You’ve gotta wonder.....
Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by alwayswantedone
A full repaint makes me nervous....there are so many of these cars out there in great, original (or close to it) condition. We're not talking about a resprayed bumper cover here. I think it's well worth the money to investigate the latter. There's a reason why the PO went to town on the entire car. You have no idea how good of a paint job was done, which is largely A LOT of labor in prep. It might look good for another 2 years then start peeling/crazing/clouding. That would really suck. Nothing worse than that, cuz you gotta do it again - the right way, and even if it's done correctly, will never be as valuable for resale as factory paint in good shape. It's just not the same. IMO.
I notice you live in Dallas, I live in the DFW area. I think a Porsche owner who wants to paint his car would want to have it done professionally. Wouldn't you? I'm not too worried about the resale value as much as the condition of car mechanically.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:09 AM
KingPinLasVegas
Cruisin'

"I notice you live in Dallas, I live in the DFW area. I think a Porsche owner who wants to paint his car would want to have it done professionally. Wouldn't you? I'm not too worried about the resale value as much as the condition of car mechanically"

The whole thing sounds fishy. A completely repainted car and a seller trying to dump it after only owning it for a really short while. I would pass no matter what and keep looking. The right car will be out there for you and without all the shadiness or doubt. It seems to me that you really want this car to check out and you're looking for reassurances from the people on this forum. That's impossible since we are not there to see it but can only give you the same advice over and over which is to get a really, really comprehensive PPI and than cross your fingers. I would also take it to a reputable high end paint guy and get their opinion as well. I've bought dozens of very high end cars in my life and everything about this one screams run away. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)