Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

So I hear engineers designed the Titanic while Noah built the Arc....go figure
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Can't believe I just got sucked into an oil post
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I'm switching my supercharged 997 over to DT40 at its next oil change as I'm seeing breakdown of the additive package in Motul xcess 5/40 at a 4,000 mile change interval. The UOA from my other NA 997 C2S, which my wife uses as her DD, does not show as much breakdown at the same mileage interval.

Jake, thanks for the reminder on doing a BR30 oil change before the longer mileage run of DT40. Guess I need to order about 8 at from Amazon. Once the BR30 is in how should I perform this flush? How many miles, all at one time or doesn't it matter, what type of driving, any RPM ceiling, etc?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy ****!!!! I've started an F'ing oil thread and didn't intend too!

I only posted my UOA and questions because of the numbers I saw. And I thought they were a "little" concerning. Some of them look better, but my biggest question was the TBN.

I took my car to an indie to have the oil changed and he recommended going to DT40. BTW, I will not give you the name of the indie; even if you PM me. As far as I know, he didn't do a flush, but if a flush is required, how come it doesn't say to do it on the bottle or LN's website? I would think if it reacted that badly with other oils there should be a warning or something. Heck, LN says to use Motul xcess if you are still under CPO.

BTW, I have total respect for Jake, so I'm NOT trying to bash him or anyone, just trying to understand what I'm seeing, that's all!

At this moment, it sounds as if I need to change my oil before I cause anymore damage to my engine and do a flush with BR30 if I intend to use DT40 more. After I do that, my UOA's will look better on the numbers I have questions about.

Is that correct?

Mike
Old 10-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

It's an oil thread ( and Titanic!) week. Hooorrrayyy!!!!
BTW, who on earth did engineer the icebergs?
Gotta love RL.

Time to bring the 996 contingent to this thread.

Yeehaw!

=L=
Old 10-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Since I used to own a 996 whoopee and since the Packers play tomorrow.......
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2015, 11:39 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Since I used to own a 996 whoopee and since the Packers play tomorrow.......
Those Packers really block the view. Get 'em out of the pic will ya?!?!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:33 AM
ru'
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
I remember your post from this past summer. I was the one suggesting you show your OPC the Porsche owner's manual. Glad they reversed the charges.
Yep, that was the one. They reversed the charges, and fixed the damaged wing mirror they chipped so all ended well. Still don't trust 'em though!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:36 AM
ru'
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeborden
Holy ****!!!! I've started an F'ing oil thread and didn't intend too! ...Mike
via Imgflip Meme Maker
Old 10-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I love RL, it's like watching the Jerry Springer show lol.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeborden
Holy ****!!!! I've started an F'ing oil thread and didn't intend too!

I only posted my UOA and questions because of the numbers I saw. And I thought they were a "little" concerning. Some of them look better, but my biggest question was the TBN.

I took my car to an indie to have the oil changed and he recommended going to DT40. BTW, I will not give you the name of the indie; even if you PM me. As far as I know, he didn't do a flush, but if a flush is required, how come it doesn't say to do it on the bottle or LN's website? I would think if it reacted that badly with other oils there should be a warning or something. Heck, LN says to use Motul xcess if you are still under CPO.

BTW, I have total respect for Jake, so I'm NOT trying to bash him or anyone, just trying to understand what I'm seeing, that's all!

At this moment, it sounds as if I need to change my oil before I cause anymore damage to my engine and do a flush with BR30 if I intend to use DT40 more. After I do that, my UOA's will look better on the numbers I have questions about.

Is that correct?

Mike
Its an oil thread. Boromir's comment is as relevant as any other. But I'll let you in on a secret. You want to know what kind of oil is best for your motor? Motor oil.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I am done here. Do what you want, use what you want, and motor on.

I alerted Lake Speed Jr. About this thread. He may choose to make some points, and if he does, I will post them.
Well, leave if you want.

It is a pretty serious allegation that Porsche sells spaces in its approved oil list for money. Since engine longevity and emissions compliance is in no small way tied to the appropriate oil I would think given all the headlines over revelations VW has been cheating emissions/fuel economy tests with cheater software, CARB, the EPA, and the EU would be very interested in this fact.

Were this to be true, I would no longer buy Porsches. In fact I would probably sell both of my cars and give my business to another automaker I could trust.

Furthermore, I am in the process of shopping for another Porsche. I'm thinking of a late model used perhaps even new GT3. No AWD. No turbos. Just car and engine and that's that.

Were it to come out Porsche was just selling spaces on its approved oil list for money vs. listing oils that meet Porsche standards of course I would bring my new Porsche shopping to an abrupt and permanent halt.

I do not do business with businesses I do not trust. When through a tracking/data logging device in my 2006 GTO I learned GM techs were hotrodding my GTO around town on their break or around the back lot I traded in the GTO -- for a new Porsche -- and vowed to never spend another dime on a GM product. That was over $120K ago in car purchases alone.

Trusting a company I do business with is paramount to doing business with the company.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:13 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Up front costs are required to even get an oil into the evaluation processes. Manufacturers do not actively seek out oils, there are hundreds, if not thousands out there.

That said, I don't trust oil recommendations that come from anyone who doesn't change their own oil.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:18 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Macster, I remember your post about the Dealer hurting your GTO, documented with your data logger, and what transpired from that. It may have been on the Cobra forum back then. I had a Superformance Replica. Or perhaps on the Boxster Bob forum.

I think engine oil excellence is like the Remington shaver commercial of years ago, to paraphrase what it said, "all engine oils are superb lubricants, some are even better."

all the best...

NV
Old 10-12-2015, 10:30 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you found out that they were driving your car did you call the police? It is called unauthorized use. It is a felony the same as grand theft auto. Those techs should be doing 3-5yrs!

I do not do business with businesses I do not trust. When through a tracking/data logging device in my 2006 GTO I learned GM techs were hotrodding my GTO around town on their break or around the back lot I traded in the GTO -- for a new Porsche -- and vowed to never spend another dime on a GM product. That was over $120K ago in car purchases alone.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?