Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?

I saw an oil change DIY this weekend on a 997 and the guy suggested running an oil cleaner/flush in the engine for 10-15 minutes before draining the oil. Has anyone ever done this?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a gimmick to lighten your wallet (if you're taking it to a shop). It really isn't necessary.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:17 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
I saw an oil change DIY this weekend on a 997 and the guy suggested running an oil cleaner/flush in the engine for 10-15 minutes before draining the oil. Has anyone ever done this?
Probably good idea to change the filter to the Johnson Rod Actuator and flush the fluid at the Flux Capacitor while you have the car up in the air. I usually change the filter when I'm filling the oil up into that reservoir in front of the steering wheel, you know by the battery. LOL
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Why? Flush what, exactly?? How would you get it out 100%???

Porsche recommends ZERO oil additives or flushes.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i hear kalecoauto.com has extra long female EMU feathers for swabbing out the oil passages
Old 10-05-2015, 12:01 PM
makoshark72
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Probably good idea to change the filter to the Johnson Rod Actuator and flush the fluid at the Flux Capacitor while you have the car up in the air. I usually change the filter when I'm filling the oil up into that reservoir in front of the steering wheel, you know by the battery. LOL
Originally Posted by extanker
i hear kalecoauto.com has extra long female EMU feathers for swabbing out the oil passages
Just TOO funny this early in the morning!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Try it out and report back to us.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Used oil analysis!
Old 10-05-2015, 05:01 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Valid question to the op. Porsche no oil additives. I usually run the car till I get to operating temp. Then I change my oil while still hot. Don't burn your skin.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:24 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Valid question to the op. Porsche no oil additives. I usually run the car till I get to operating temp. Then I change my oil while still hot. Don't burn your skin.
That's what I figured but just thought I'd ask. Needed my daily allotment of abuse.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:31 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to flush your oil, that means you're changing dirty oil, which means you're driving it. If you're driving it, you depreciating it...

...and your not supposed to do that, so...

...the logical answer is "No!".

Old 10-05-2015, 05:55 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by Philster
If you have to flush your oil, that means you're changing dirty oil, which means you're driving it. If you're driving it, you depreciating it...

...and your not supposed to do that, so...

...the logical answer is "No!".

Driving it no longer matters. As I posted in another thread, I accidentally turned on the windshield washers so my car was totalled. I can drive all I want now. It is worthless.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Technically, with a 911, you are always changing dirty oil. There is so much oil in lines and radiators (at least a gallon, probably more like 6 quarts) that cannot be drained, that even right after an oil change the oil is instantly "dirty". In fact when I saw "flush" I assumed it meant changing the oil, running the motor a minute and then changing it again.

This will probably surprise the people insisting on the oil being hot, or letting it drain for hours trying to get the last drop of dirty oil, but you can drain till the end of time, still gonna be quarts- not drops, quarts!- of dirty oil left in there.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:13 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, I drain my oil hot so most of it will drain out, and faster too. So watch your hand when loosening that plug!

This reminds me of a Looong time ago, when I was in Bermuda, with my Fiat Uno. Didn't want to go to the Fiat Stealer then, so I took it to shop by a 'petrol' station. This Rastaman drained the oil out of my Fiat, then....he poured in a whole can of kerosene into the oil filler! I was standing by watching him, and I went "What the heck...aren't you supposed to put engine oil in there??" That was when he started enlightening me....

Of course I was skeptical then, and still am!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Driving it no longer matters. As I posted in another thread, I accidentally turned on the windshield washers so my car was totalled. I can drive all I want now. It is worthless.
Assigning your car a $0 value is the first step toward enjoying it. I used the cruise control one day to accomplish this task. I know that this action was registered on the computer so it is a matter of public record. My car brings me immense pleasure now that it is worthless.

We should all pity the air cooled owners who now have no choice but to sell their cars, given that their rise in value means it would be foolish to open the garage door and let sunlight bounce off of the fenders.

As for turpentine (and getting back on topic), my guess is that this could be counter productive. There is a difference between worthless and non functional. I'm told the flush requires a mixture of ground up unicorn horn with some less common fluids. And you will need a PIWIS to make sure the flushing temperatures stay within range. This really is a dealer only procedure.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?