Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I've seen guys de-sludge an engine with kerosene. I also know a guy who has run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in with his regular oil at every oil change. Of course, all of these were on older model cars.

In the kerosene situations, it actually worked. In one single instance, a guy at my high school plugged up his oil filter with the sludge he broke loose but in every case, the cars continued to run at least as well after the treatment as they did before.

In the case of the friend who uses MMO, I have seen the valvetrain of two of his cars after many, many miles and they look like new. I have personally used MMO in with engine oil to quiet noisy lifters on a small-block Ford.

I would not, however, use ANY product in my Porsche other than the factory recommended type and weight oil.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kerosene was the main ingredient in oil flush products of days gone by.

MMO is a must have. Maybe not for a regularly driven Porsche, but I squirt it into the cylinders of everything but my cars (boats, power tools, R/C nitro engines, mowers, etc).

It does wonder for engines that have been exposed to gasket leaks, water intrusion, etc.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used MMO to flush transmissions after I've taken them out.

Works really well for that, actually.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:22 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are going to run a 25K$ motor for 15 minutes with WHAT in it? You guys are losing it imho. These days the world is scary enough without the heads of my heretofore reliable fellow Porsche owners imploding.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,455 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I thought doing a flush was crazy until this -https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/897746-uoa-with-dt40-and-a-question-or-two.html

Looks like there may be some value when changing oil brands.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Looks like there may be some value when changing oil brands.
No. Only if DT40 is involved. Not so for most other oil changes when a switch in brands is involved.

But, in general terms, and especially if you are doing UOAs, you won't see the true benefit (or deficient) of a change in oil selection for at least 2 oil change intervals, due to cross pollination.

You just can't extract all the oil out of the Porsche. Always a couple quarts locked up in the system.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
No. Only if DT40 is involved. Not so for most other oil changes when a switch in brands is involved. But, in general terms, and especially if you are doing UOAs, you won't see the true benefit (or deficient) of a change in oil selection for at least 2 oil change intervals, due to cross pollination. You just can't extract all the oil out of the Porsche. Always a couple quarts locked up in the system.
Interesting. Why don't hey say that on the website, or the bottle? I switched to DT40 in my last change and oil consumption went up. Wonder if that's why?
Old 10-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

No. Only if DT40 is involved. Not so for most other oil changes when a switch in brands is involved.

But, in general terms, and especially if you are doing UOAs, you won't see the true benefit (or deficient) of a change in oil selection for at least 2 oil change intervals, due to cross pollination.

You just can't extract all the oil out of the Porsche. Always a couple quarts locked up in the system.
I find it hard to believe that the residual oil in the engine would affect in this case DT 40 oil to the point its UOA numbers would be negatively affected by any noticeable amount.

And for this to continue after the next oil change is mind boggling. Porsche -- yeah I know the only source that is assumed not to know anything about this subject -- states all approved oils are miscible and apparently this DT 40 is not miscible. What the heck is in it that is so in conflict with approved oils?

Also, I can't help but wonder if this DT 40 oil is so affected by presence of say a liter or two (maybe) of approved oil to the point its UOA numbers are affected how in the world is it going to deal with all the nasty stuff that running the engine subjects it to?
Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I find it hard to believe that the residual oil in the engine would affect in this case DT 40 oil to the point its UOA numbers would be negatively affected by any noticeable amount. And for this to continue after the next oil change is mind boggling. Porsche -- yeah I know the only source that is assumed not to know anything about this subject -- states all approved oils are miscible and apparently this DT 40 is not miscible. What the heck is in it that is so in conflict with approved oils? Also, I can't help but wonder if this DT 40 oil is so affected by presence of say a liter or two (maybe) of approved oil to the point its UOA numbers are affected how in the world is it going to deal with all the nasty stuff that running the engine subjects it to?
Macster, I don't know why you're addressing all these questions to me. I didn't develop the product or the protocol. Go ask Jake.

And how many DT40 UOAs have you seen to make your first paragraph statement?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Macster, I don't know why you're addressing all these questions to me. I didn't develop the product or the protocol. Go ask Jake.

He just doesn't like it because it's not Porsche approved.. He doesn't know that approval is bought, not earned.

DT 40 isn't the only oil that reacts this way with other oils, that said, it doesn't react with all oils in this manner. Mogul and Redline are two of the worst for these issues.

What you are seeing is a reaction between the oils, which, of course can negatively effect the ability of an oil to maintain characteristics. It can do this at very low mileage, as little as 750 miles in my experience.

None of this is new information, I have been stating that those swapping to DT40 from any other oil should perform a BR flush since the DT oils were brought to the market.

An M96 engine with a completely drained sump will still lose about 1/2 qt of oil when disassembled. That's a significant amount to cross pollinate. If someone does a haphazard drain, and doesn't allow the oil to drain for an hour or so, even more is left behind. Of course, to know that, someone would have to perform their own oil changes, and pay attention.

If you really want to see a wacky UOA, go back to Motul now after only one DT 40 service. That will send someone's head spinning... Not me, I wouldn't even bother with a UOA for at least two oil services after that.

All that said, I don't give a damn what oil someone uses. We developed DT40 for our engine program, and I haven't ever sold a quart of it, and never plan to. It comes free with my engine whike under warranty, then I tell owners to buy it at Amazon. As long as I have it for my engines, life is good.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Damit!!! I didn't do a flush when I changed to Motul Xcess from Mobil one
Old 10-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

There appears to have been several DT40 oil UOAs of late, postings of these at any rate, with numbers that are claimed to have been affected by the presence of other oils.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Macster
There appears to have been several DT40 oil UOAs of late, postings of these at any rate, with numbers that are claimed to have been affected by the presence of other oils.
Imagine that. Because I can't think of one of those instances where someone had been using DT 40 for a satisfactory period of time. In fact, like this post, it was the first UOA where DT40 was used.

My results do t follow these traits... I watch engines from the time their first drop of oil is poured in, and for every oil service after that.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
He just doesn't like it because it's not Porsche approved.. He doesn't know that approval is bought, not earned.

DT 40 isn't the only oil that reacts this way with other oils, that said, it doesn't react with all oils in this manner. Mogul and Redline are two of the worst for these issues.

What you are seeing is a reaction between the oils, which, of course can negatively effect the ability of an oil to maintain characteristics. It can do this at very low mileage, as little as 750 miles in my experience.

None of this is new information, I have been stating that those swapping to DT40 from any other oil should perform a BR flush since the DT oils were brought to the market.

An M96 engine with a completely drained sump will still lose about 1/2 qt of oil when disassembled. That's a significant amount to cross pollinate. If someone does a haphazard drain, and doesn't allow the oil to drain for an hour or so, even more is left behind. Of course, to know that, someone would have to perform their own oil changes, and pay attention.

If you really want to see a wacky UOA, go back to Motul now after only one DT 40 service. That will send someone's head spinning... Not me, I wouldn't even bother with a UOA for at least two oil services after that.

All that said, I don't give a damn what oil someone uses. We developed DT40 for our engine program, and I haven't ever sold a quart of it, and never plan to. It comes free with my engine whike under warranty, then I tell owners to buy it at Amazon. As long as I have it for my engines, life is good.
Still find it hard to understand why mixing 8+ quarts of DT40 with a quart or two of some other POA oil would affect DT40 so much.

Can't find an MSDS on DT40. Best I can tell from my research is it is a POA oil. Same I believe as Mobil 1 0w-40.

BTW, I've done a few of my own oil changes and might resume this activity again the next time one of my cars needs one, though whether I do my own oil changes or not how or why this matters regarding DT40 being seemingly affected by residual oil in the engine is beyond me.

Approval is bought not earned... Oh boy. I suppose we are to believe the Porsche engine oil supply business is so lucrative that 30 or more oil makers pay Porsche for a place on its oil approval list? And Porsche is willing to risk its reputation by just approving any oil someone pays Porsche to have listed because I guess selling mentions on the oil approval list is much more profitable than selling cars.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I am done here. Do what you want, use what you want, and motor on.

I alerted Lake Speed Jr. About this thread. He may choose to make some points, and if he does, I will post them.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?