Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

I replaced the OEM air in my tires last week. It was a rash move and instantly depreciated the car to $0. I'm not sure how to explain all this to my wife who was hoping to trade it in on a Miata.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:56 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog
I replaced the OEM air in my tires last week. It was a rash move and instantly depreciated the car to $0. I'm not sure how to explain all this to my wife who was hoping to trade it in on a Miata.

For me it was the key fob. One of mine isn't original anymore. Car is worthless.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Detergent oil no, but a bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in the last gas tank before an oil change is good for any engine.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
We should all pity the air cooled owners who now have no choice but to sell their cars, given that their rise in value means it would be foolish to open the garage door and let sunlight bounce off of the fenders. ...
But... who said those who buy those air-cooled classics do not drive them?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
But... who said those who buy those air-cooled classics do not drive them?
I know you drive yours, and I thought of you and smiled as I wrote those words.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:41 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
... I thought of you and smiled as I wrote those words.
You know me well enough.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Heh. Engine flush.

When I worked for a mom-n-pop lube stop in my high school days, our service manager always told us to offer one to every customer who came in. We used a half a can of Seafoam added to the engine oil as the car pulled into the bay. If it was hot, we'd run it for 5-10 minutes, then drain the oil, if it was cool, we'd add the Seafoam, get the car to operating (coolant) temp, then drain the oil.

I questioned the value of doing so during a meeting and was berated for even so much as questioning the vast knowledge of our service manager (who was an ex-felon and drove the most beat up looking 3rd generation Camaro I'd ever seen). I quit that job eventually and became a cashier at the local grocery like the rest of my high school colleagues (looking back on it now, I would have had multiple actionable claims with the EEOC).

There's a sucker born every minute.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:33 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has kept my engine in tip-top condition...
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Crap... I would buy that engine scrub, but I just replaced my muffler bearings, which in a 997 are upwards of $200 a pop, and I need two more, but they're back ordered... STILL.

Not to highjack, but I lost my 710 cap... does anyone know where I can get one??

Old 10-07-2015, 05:27 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philster
Crap... I would buy that engine scrub, but I just replaced my muffler bearings, which in a 997 are upwards of $200 a pop, and I need two more, but they're back ordered... STILL.

Not to highjack, but I lost my 710 cap... does anyone know where I can get one??

I found muffler bearings from Automotion for $180.

I heard of some crazy Russian guy using an oil cap to replace the 710 cap. Seems like a strange hack.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Back in the '60's, when many oils were non-detergent, and I would work on my own cars at the Ft. Bragg auto shop, I saw some engines with valve covers removed, and the valve train was unrecognizable. Just a moving mound of dark gunk. In times past, I have used engine oil flushes, but long ago realized that using modern detergent oils, with reasonable drain intervals, is all that is necessary to keep an engine's internals clean. In fact, I believe on modern engines, running an oil flush concoction is potentially harmful, for a variety of reasons, making an engine leak, plugging up small oil pathways, and other deleterious effects. Plus, in a car with a remote oil cooler, you cannot drain out the non-lubricating flush anyway.

All the best.

NV
Old 10-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by upier
I found muffler bearings from Automotion for $180.

I heard of some crazy Russian guy using an oil cap to replace the 710 cap. Seems like a strange hack.
I'll wait for the 710 cap. Don't wanna hurt resale value.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:22 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love how these threads develop!

fwiw (sorry to be OT) my local OPC (middle east...) tried to sting me for engine flush, injector cleaner and fuel treatment during my last oil change. I asked them to show me the Porsche instructions to use these snake-oil items, and funnily enough they credited my account with the charges...
Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ru'
Love how these threads develop!

fwiw (sorry to be OT) my local OPC (middle east...) tried to sting me for engine flush, injector cleaner and fuel treatment during my last oil change. I asked them to show me the Porsche instructions to use these snake-oil items, and funnily enough they credited my account with the charges...
Glad you stood up for yourself.

It is funny how some threads take a right turn. Lots of funny people in this forum.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by ru'
I remember your post from this past summer. I was the one suggesting you show your OPC the Porsche owner's manual. Glad they reversed the charges.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use an oil flush before doing oil change?