997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,612 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Use PenFed Credit Union. I heard about it from Doug DeMuro. Its technically a credit union for Pentagon employees but you just pay $15 to join. They have 1.9% loans on cars of any age, location, type. Super easy to work with. They will just fedex you a check in a day or two and you just sign it over to the dealer. Given how cheap auto loans are these days, I would never pay cash for a car.
That's funny, of all the financial institutions that could have been mentioned in a follow-up post - you mention PenFed.

I joined them in order to get their Visa card that gives you 5% off on gas at any gas station, then ended up doing my mortgage refinance with them a few years ago as no one could touch their overall package, almost financed my Cayenne with them during the few months I needed the float, but just used my HELOC instead. My HELOC is with another financial institution, who was doing a promotion at the time, but can't say enough great things about PefFed.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:36 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's funny, of all the financial institutions that could have been mentioned in a follow-up post - you mention PenFed.

I joined them in order to get their Visa card that gives you 5% off on gas at any gas station, then ended up doing my mortgage refinance with them a few years ago as no one could touch their overall package, almost financed my Cayenne with them during the few months I needed the float, but just used my HELOC instead. My HELOC is with another financial institution, who was doing a promotion at the time, but can't say enough great things about PefFed.
I just checked. You can now join one of two military associated groups for $17. Good deal. RJ
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I will definitely check out PenFed. I am a State of California employee. Brother was a vet so hopefully I can get in. Just had my mortgage dropped to the 3.9%. I didn't think about the equity case but will consider. Don't know much about HELOC but will look it up. I will more than likely sale my M5 so the float want be too long (I hope). Thanks for the input. The more I work on the M5 the more I am thinking do I really want to sale?? I can fix any issues and may have a classic on my hand but I need another Cayenne.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:09 AM
PV996
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find an upholsterer in Orange County that you like / liked? I have some sport seats coming for a 996tt that I need to get re-skinned. Loved your inspiration picture of the seats - by the way. Good stuff all around. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:52 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread to read and great persistence! Nicely
done!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,923 Likes on 2,911 Posts

I read thru this entire thread! Wish I had the patience you have. Glad you got the car together and running.
All the best!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:45 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV996
Did you find an upholsterer in Orange County that you like / liked? I have some sport seats coming for a 996tt that I need to get re-skinned. Loved your inspiration picture of the seats - by the way. Good stuff all around. Thanks.
Yes, I young artist in Santa Ana. He wants about 800.00 per seat. He does model A's. Quite a talented young upholsterer.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:46 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Ok, hope all are well. The car was at the track last week. Ran fine at the Festival of Speed. Now a pesky issue is back again. You may remember early in this thread when I was working on the Tiptronic S tranny, that my key kept getting stuck in the ignition and I couldn't get it out. Well I ran my scanner on it initially and that kinda reset it maybe? Well I was able to get my key out. Have not had a problem since then. Well today when I stopped at Walmart this morning I couldn't get my key out. used the handy key thing in the fuse area to get the key out. Went to work and still couldn't get the key out.

The car thinks it's not in Park even when the lever is all the way in park. Do I need knew shifter cables? This is pretty annoying. Anyone have this issue?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:48 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default Shipper for engine in Georgia

Can anyone recommend a company that can ship an engine from Georgia to santa Ana California?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Can anyone recommend a company that can ship an engine from Georgia to santa Ana California?
What happened to your motor?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I've shipped a couple motors via Old Dominion. Just completely drain, strap to a pallet and shrink wrap.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:10 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks, my motor is chugging along great. Had a good autocross season last year. This is a buddy of mine who just bought an engine out of Georgia.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:06 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well I finally got my door card off, the door lock out (this was not small feet). The door lock took me over 3 hours to get out. There was a stripped screw which must have been why the door wasn't fixed all these years. The door would go down when I grabbed the handle. It would immediately go back up causing the window to hit the top of the doorway. This made me thing the window would one day shatter. Well I ordered the micro switch (although mine looked good and not worn).

The main reason for a service visit is that I would like to know what is going on with my PCM radio. See video link to see what I am seeing. Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

Old 05-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well I finally got my door card off, the door lock out (this was not small feet). The door lock took me over 3 hours to get out. There was a stripped screw which must have been why the door wasn't fixed all these years. The door would go down when I grabbed the handle. It would immediately go back up causing the window to hit the top of the doorway. This made me thing the window would one day shatter. Well I ordered the micro switch (although mine looked good and not worn).

The main reason for a service visit is that I would like to know what is going on with my PCM radio. See video link to see what I am seeing. Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?

https://youtu.be/YZR7EoZD9Xs
I think this is a fairly common failure mode where it gets stuck in this boot loop. If pulling the 2 PCM fuses and reinstalling doesn't allow it to boot right, then it probably has to be sent to Becker for repair, a replacement installed, or going with an aftermarket head unit.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:14 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Petz, where are the two fuses? I pulled one 10amp fuse out last week. The pics on the fuse sheet don't even say "radio" or "pcm" so kinda guessing. I have an appointment on Tuesday at the dealer to look at it but want to definately try the fuse before that visit.

Waiting on a new micro switch. I think I took everything I could off my door. Well now I know what's in there. The micro switch looks ok. The door lock switch looks fine too. The window regulators are not broken or chipped either. The only thing that was broken was the door lock pivot. The spring had broken the plastic catch off so I ordered a new one.

Micro switch looks ok to me and my untrained eye.

Here you can see where this plastic piece broke off form the door pivot piece. This piece allows tension on the spring. So it your door pull is loose this is probably why.

I broke this clip trying to get it off.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming