Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Wheel not here yet, not sure it will be back by the time I leave for the Porsche Parade. Can't wait.

So today I dropped the car off to have the Bilstein's Coilovers and H&R Sway bars installed. Will have the car back by the 5th of July. It appears I will drive my car to the Parade. I told my tech I was going on a long drive and he said he would look the car over and make sure it's ok.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:14 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Bad news on the steering wheel. There was a computer virus in Europe and the shipper can't ship so there is a delay.

Also if anyone has the Bilstein B16 PASM coilover extension cables please pm me. I am missing the cables and Germany can't get it to me until after the time I need to drive the car to the Porsche Parade. It appears this cable is quite elusive.

I wonder if I can simple have the tech lock down the coilovers so I can drive the car to the parade? Any idea, does the cable need to be connected?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Bad news on the steering wheel. There was a computer virus in Europe and the shipper can't ship so there is a delay.

Also if anyone has the Bilstein B16 PASM coilover extension cables please pm me. I am missing the cables and Germany can't get it to me until after the time I need to drive the car to the Porsche Parade. It appears this cable is quite elusive.

I wonder if I can simple have the tech lock down the coilovers so I can drive the car to the parade? Any idea, does the cable need to be connected?
With the PASM suspension, whether OEM or Damptronics, any communication failure from any shock to the PASM controller will result in the shocks defaulting to the full stiff setting for safety, so you should be able to drive the car even with the cables disconnected - it's just going to be a rough ride.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

It was a bumpy ride. I am on my way back to socal amd juat had a flatin the middle of nowhere. I was lucky to flag down a guy who was in a tow truck. Tried to use my aaa but they gave me a big hassle. Ended up paying 150.00 for tne tow. Flatbed the car to a tire shop that will not be open to.orrow so will have to try and find a tire in Bend oregon or Madres oregon. Bend has a dealer but are 40 miles away.

If the shops dont have 19 inch tires what other sizes can i put on til i get to a city that has 19 inch tires? Any members ln madres or nwmms
Old 07-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

It was a bumpy ride. I am on my way back to socal amd juat had a flatin the middle of nowhere. I was lucky to flag down a guy who was in a tow truck. Tried to use my aaa but they gave me a big hassle. Ended up paying 150.00 for tne tow. Flatbed the car to a tire shop that will not be open to.orrow so will have to try and find a tire in Bend oregon or Madres oregon. Bend has a dealer but are 40 miles away.

If the shops dont have 19 inch tires what other sizes can i put on til i get to a city that has 19 inch tires? Any members ln madres or nwmms
Unless you're willing to also buy a wheel, you'll need a 19" tire as that's the only size that will fit a 19" wheel. You may be able to play around with the section width and aspect ratio #s a little bit for a temporary one to get you home, but it will still need to be 19".

Your AAA membership also includes a benefit called "trip interruption protection" that will reimburse some costs for hotel stays and rental car expenses if you have this type of issue while on a trip. You may also be able to submit the towing invoice since the car is a Porsche and has to be towed with a rollback, flatbed truck.

Is the tire destroyed or just punctured. If just puncture, you can probably get a plug repair kit and compressor from Wal-Mart and fix it yourself.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:08 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Petz. Its on the side. Right rear. I found two 235/55/19 on craigslist, will they be to tall? It is pretty deserted out here. There is a dealer in Bend, OR. But they said cant help as closed for service. Will call back at 10am and speak to a sales guy though. Wish me luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Plug it. No? Even if it is in a "bad" place, you can at least drive on it to get where you need to be. I carry a plug kit and had to use it on the PA Turnpike..... After dicking with the useless Porsche goo, I just laid down in the gravel and plugged it. Once I decided to finally use the plug kit, it took a total of about 10 mnts.... and this was the first time I ever used one of these.... and by the way, the hole was quite big..... not a nail puncture.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...p-goo-bad.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-19-2017, 11:28 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Well, I made it back home to Socal. It was a long drive. Put two Bridgestones 305s on the rears and will get the Bilstein PASM cables installed tomorrow morning. I'll upload some Porsche Parade pics and vids on the weekend. Really tired.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:41 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Ok, Bilsteins are on and cables connected and ride is smooth (until I hit sport mode) which is the way it's supposed to be. Next up is the new sport steering wheel. Anyone know of a DIY for the steering wheel module replacement. I have a new module. Or is this a dealer only type of install. I know it will need to be programmed and my indie has a PIWIS.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:20 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Default 996 S Project

A while back you saw my re-wrapped steering wheel with the paddles. This was a pdk wheel. The airbag I got separate from another place. Well this past weekend I took on the DIY project of changing the wheel. I had went to Newport Porsche and the idiots there had no clue. I hope I can find a dealer that can program it or an indie with a PIWIS.

So here goes:

The color doesn't match the dark brown Cocoa leather. This was the best the guy had. Couldn't find Coccoa Brown leather

You can see the airbag is not all the way in.

Here is a closer up pic

This is the side of the airbag. Does this look right?

I think a clip is missing. You can see the one at the top but is another one missing?

I called the guy who did the re-wrap. He said the airbag had been repaired before. I asked him how he got it to fit so snugly when he sent me the picture, he said he pushed it really hard.

Ok, do I need another airbag?
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 07-30-2017, 01:34 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

My steering wheel airbag does not fit flush. I was looking at the length of the wheel where it sits on the column and there is about a half inch difference in how the thread sticks out. This I think is causing the protrusion I think. Now has anyone else had this issue when refitting their wheel? Is the length different on a 997 than on a 987 wheel or the 991 wheel?

Also I am getting the PSM failure message with the triangle. I would imagine all these messages will go away once I get it programed. I am also considering getting another airbag.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:22 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

If the airbag isn't going all the way down there's a very good chance it's being held up by the wires bunching. The wire is to be run in a very specific way to avoid the bunching. I had this issue until I pulled the airbag out and more carefully positioned the wiring as i slid it back In. After that no issues

The control module is a very easy straight forward swap. You really don't need any directions to do it. You can see what needs to be done as you are doing it.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Here is a pix of my new steering wheel. I'll try to work with the cable to see if it gets flush. I will get it coded tomorrow. The last pix is without flash.
Attached Images    
Old 08-05-2017, 02:07 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Here is a pix of my new steering wheel. I'll try to work with the cable to see if it gets flush. I will get it coded tomorrow. The last pix is without flash.
So, the steering wheel is on and the paddles work and the little "sport" lights up on the wheel. I think I am off dead ctre by one grove though. The only problem is the horn not working. I did install the ...289 ending part number module. Was easy to put on. I took the car to my indie and he said that the horn is different on the 992.1 wheel and will not work with the 997.1 car. He said he had done a few of these swaps and could never get the horn to work. Well I have been reading here that all you need to do is switch on the multi function in PIWIS and the horn will work. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can switch on the multi function even though I don't have a multi-function wheel.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming