Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Basically saying I want a road car with less power because I like the slight difference in steering feel which public roads can hardly allow me to demonstrate.
Nobody in this thread is saying this.

Handling-wise The Turbo is NOT a Ford Thunderbird by comparison for sh*t sakes!
Nobody in this thread has said that it is.

[People argue] No thanks, I'm a track expert and I like making counter arguments to any and every obviously good point and delude myself into thinking I win them because I'm a track expert.
Nobody in this thread has said or implied this.

It seems a majority of guys here are going to tell him: "Get the 997S because the slightly different steering/handling dynamics, though not readily apparent except on a track, are worth sacrificing 100+HP and big torque for."
Nobody in this thread has told the OP this.

If you have to misrepresent other people's positions it means you're losing the debate.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
YOU are the one who keeps insisting that there is a right answer and a wrong answer to the question. There isn't.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood. It's been bugging me that a "wrong answer" is being promoted here. Lemme explain:

I thought you guys were saying :

The steering feel and handling dynamics of the 997S are [good? decisive? excellent?] reasons for the everyday Porsche enthusiast shopping around for a road car to choose the 997S over the TT's Hp and tq advantage.

Pretty silly when you think about it, but I guess we put the 'nut' in 'car nuts.'

Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Heck im seeing pretty nice low mile 07 turbos going for the 74000 dollar range and low mile late model 997S going for the high 60's and up. Turbo has always been the ultimate 911 and for about the same price you can have it so why not get the turbo?? That would be my reasoning. I had a 964 turbo and although the NA 964 is a nice car, it would never satisfy me after having the turbo version.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. It's been bugging me that a "wrong answer" is being promoted here. Lemme explain:

I thought you guys were saying :

The steering feel and handling dynamics of the 997S are [good? decisive? excellent?] reasons for the everyday Porsche enthusiast shopping around for a road car to choose the 997S over the TT's Hp and tq advantage.

Pretty silly when you think about it, but I guess we put the 'nut' in 'car nuts.'

"Be more human than critical and your pleasure will increase."
Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
"Be more human than critical and your pleasure will increase."
Yes. Don't spread esoteric BS when other guys are trying to decide between road cars!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

I'm sorry if I misunderstood. It's been bugging me that a "wrong answer" is being promoted here.
There is no wrong answer. How many times have people tried to explain that to you over the course of the past seven pages in this thread? Dozens, for sure.

When people say they prefer the C2S they are not wrong. They're not lying. They're not rationalizing. They're not doing it just to **** you off or bug you. That's the right answer for them.

If someone chooses a C2S instead of a TT that's not wrong. That doesn't make you love your car any less. It shouldn't bug you a bit.

It's not your job to convince the OP to buy a TT. You don't know if that's the better car for him or not. Really. You don't know that. It's a decision he has to make for himself based on his preferences and desires. If he chooses a C2S, you don't "lose" the thread. If he chooses a TT you don't "win" the thread. We all win as long as the OP picks the right car for him.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Turbo has always been the ultimate 911
"Ultimate" in performance or "Ultimate" in weight?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike (mdrums) is the only on here not going around in circles and adding something that is useful in the last 3-4 pages.

The turbo is a great car off the track and on the track when it has the right driver with talent driving it.

At today's DE i watched the red group and the turbo in it blew every car away. Including a number of gt3's. The guy has been tracking for years and I don't care how much better feel the cs2 gives he is going to beat you.

It that is your goal, being an incredible fast driver on or off the track get the turbo.

If you want a great fast car, which occasionally can be beaten by a guy with as much talent as you in a turbo but you don't give a damn, get the cs2.

There is no wrong answer.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 98 Posts

It seems a majority of guys here are going to tell him: "Get the 997S because the slightly different steering/handling dynamics, though not readily apparent except on a track, are worth sacrificing 100+HP and big torque for."
No. Why do you insist on misrepresenting and exaggerating opinions that are contrary to yours? The fact is that one can use only a fraction of the performance of the Carrera S on the street. The OP says that he's not interested in tracking whatever car he buys, so the entire "it's faster on the track" line of reasoning is irrelevant. It doesn't matter how much more power the Turbo has over the Carrera if you can't make use of it except by putting yourself and others at risk on public roads. Therefore my opinion, as expressed to the OP, is that on the street the performance advantage is meaningless except in one's head. If that's worth the extra tens of $K to him then by all means he should go for it and buy the Turbo.

That's my opinion. It's only an opinion. Feel free to disagree. But don't erect straw man arguments that no one has actually put forward, then pretend they're ridiculous and try to knock them down as though you're the only one making sense in the discussion.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-25-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:09 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

5licky Rick--
I know exactly where you are coming from...
May I suggest that you wait until the new 991's come out? Let's say you trade in your C2S for a TT. Wow! You think it's worth every penny. Then all of the sudden the brand new 991 body style comes out (and eventually a new and perhaps better TT), and maybe you'd be blown away by it and absolutely have to get one...

Normally I'd say go for it, but maybe you should sit tight for a year in this case. How many trade-ups and depreciations are you willing to do?
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

The S is a great car, I really enjoyed driving the pdk version on the track. This could easily be my next dd. However, you cannot compare it to a Turbo, once you have had the boost you cannot go back The GT1 dry sump Mezger motor and the G50 6 speed, can't be compared to the wet sump NA cars, different level of content. The Turbo is the top of the line 911. The GT3 is a completely different animal, all things equal, a well driven Turbo will still eat it alive on the track IMO.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

As an aside, I have made the decision twice before to upgrade in power within the same model of a particular car, and both times I wound up regretting it.( The last time was going from a B5 model Audi A4 to a similarly B5 S4).
What I learned was that, for me, the cars were similar enough that such upgrades do NOT give me the increased enjoyment to justify the financial cost.
So if I ever get another 911 to replace my fabulous C2S pdk, it would not be another 997.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.

Certainly some STRAW MAN fallacies in this thread.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
May I suggest that you wait until the new 991's come out? Let's say you trade in your C2S for a TT. Wow! You think it's worth every penny. Then all of the sudden the brand new 991 body style comes out (and eventually a new and perhaps better TT), and maybe you'd be blown away by it and absolutely have to get one...
This is wise advice, IMO. If you decide you don't like the 991, you could pick up a used 997 Turbo, or stick with your C2S, if you want. You can spend the time in between driving different cars, talking to people (face-to-face, even) about the cars, and considering other options.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
The S is a great car, I really enjoyed driving the pdk version on the track. This could easily be my next dd. However, you cannot compare it to a Turbo, once you have had the boost you cannot go back The GT1 dry sump Mezger motor and the G50 6 speed, can't be compared to the wet sump NA cars, different level of content. The Turbo is the top of the line 911. The GT3 is a completely different animal, all things equal, a well driven Turbo will still eat it alive on the track IMO.
That means you will restrict yourself to the 997.1TT as the much faster (and better handling) 997.2TT has a different engine, no longer the 'GT1 Mezger' engine.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo