Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Sorry, I meant or a 996 GT2 aka "The Widow-Maker" (as I expressed in the other thread comparing 997S with Turbo).

I read the article (and all the other articles) - the new GT2 RS doesn't sound like a widow-maker at all.
I do not know about 'widow maker'. The 996 GT2 did not produce precocious widows - its idiot owners did.

My comment re Chris Harris review is that he actually prefers the GT3 RS.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm sorry. I don't get this. I drive frisky on all sorts of roads and NEVER EVER wished I had my 997S back.
Maybe if you had owned the latest generation S with a state of the art gearbox.... Seriously, I get the "more power" argument but only up to a point. My 996, with almost 100 less horsepower than my 997S was not as much fun to drive (for other reasons as well). And my 295hp Boxster S, while more dynamic than the 996 in most respects, and better handling even than the S, still lacked a certain thrill factor (and that 911 shape).

But never once since owning the C2S with PDK have I wished for more power on the street. The engine/gearbox combo has instant response that can take you to super-legal speeds at any time in incredibly short order, and since driving this car I've begun to wonder just how much is enough. I haven't even found a suitable venue to try out the launch control. You say you don't track your car. So what public roads do you drive on where you are able to realistically and safely make use of the even higher horsepower of the turbo?

I like playing the "my car is faster than yours" game in my head too, and I have owned stupidly high horsepower vehicles. But none was as all around fast as this car and the reality is, I can't use all the performance I have now on the street without risking, well, everything. To spend another 50 grand to get even more performance I can't use on public roads......

No disrespect, this is an interesting discussion. I'd enjoy reading your thoughts on this point.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Okay, I'll bite. Unless you are talking about a teenager or a nutcase, you can't make a sensible argument for less power in a stock factory designed and built Porsche.

America vs. Germany is not a difference to argue about either: Would be like saying the Turbo's 100+HP is absurd even for the Autobahn because it only gives you about a 10-15 MPH increase in top speed on the Autobahn.

More power in a Porsche means more overall performance (and more fun) no matter where you drive, right?

Again, this debate is also just for fun.
Of course this is just for fun.

However, just how much HP is too much? 600PS, 700PS, 800PS, 950PS

Do you really want 0-60 times of less than 2.0 seconds?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:42 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Of course this is just for fun.

However, just how much HP is too much? 600PS, 700PS, 800PS, 950PS

Do you really want 0-60 times of less than 2.0 seconds?
yes, I want a sub 2 second 0-60 times and I promise to do it at every red light that I own the front spot in..........I'm closer to pension than highschool, but have enough resources to stack spare tyres in my garage!!!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I would settle for sub 3.
Law of diminishing returns to get to sub 2 and cash...
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The question asked was........is there a BIG difference between the S and Turbo??

To most, NO. However, I say there IS a big difference in acceleration (passing - boooost) and long term maintenance costs. The rest is personal preference. I'm basing this off 993 experience, not 997, so take it for forum worth = .02.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ibdavid
The question asked was........is there a BIG difference between the S and Turbo??

To most, NO. However, I say there IS a big difference in acceleration (passing - boooost) and long term maintenance costs. The rest is personal preference. I'm basing this off 993 experience, not 997, so take it for forum worth = .02.
I would agree with that in general, but... you should try the passing capability of a 997.2S PDK between 40 an 90MPH. This thing is a rocket (and no turbo lag).
Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I would agree with that in general, but... you should try the passing capability of a 997.2S PDK between 40 an 90MPH. This thing is a rocket (and no turbo lag).
I WILL try that one day.............a 997 is in my future!.......just not sure when. In no hurry, as I'm still smitten over my 993.

So the question still remains............IS there a BIG difference??
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, yes. Night and day. But as I said earlier, to each his own...
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

To the OP: Just read the last paragraph of the posted Turbo Excellence article: "The Turbo still can't approach a GT3's ..."
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

wow this post is going to surely help me make my decision. i am pretty sure the TT will make anybody smile with its tremendous power. the C2S however is not a slouch too and considering that for a longer term it could be a more practical car to keep, in terms of maintenance costs and ability to drive anywhere. the turbo does have a lot lower ground clearance. where i am there are potholes as large as bathtubs and ridiculous speedbumps "10 feet high and 1foot wide" an exageration of course but im sure you get the point. nevertheless the thought of having a turbo as a toy has bothered me the past few nights and resale values of turbos offer another plus. still a difficult proposition to decide on. help....
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the part where they say it "decimates 'faster' 911s."
You're acting like you "lose" unless you can convince us all to agree with you. I have a secret for you: This isn't a battle of wills or a battle of facts. There are no winners or losers here. People just have different priorities.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not an overwhelming feeling of jealousy and regret, it's just a slight feeling of doubt.
We don't all feel that way.

Edit to add: and if you really do feel that way, how can you ever be truly happy with anything? Seems sad to me.

Last edited by Nugget; 08-24-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes. AFAIK, When discussing road cars the phrase "point and shoot" is only used to describe the Turbo.
I like the part where they say it "decimates 'faster' 911s."
Do a lot of "point and shoot" and "decimating" of other 911's on public roads, do you? Just where exactly does one unleash the Turbo to it's potential except in one's mind?

The reasonable answer is on track, where the Turbo might have an advantage in certain situations, although for that use I'd rather have a GT3 or RS for the same or less money. I'll say again, the Turbo is an amazing car, but IMO the answer to the question "is there a big difference (say $40 grand worth) in performance" you can actually use on the street over the C2S, the answer is no.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:32 PM
thorin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an owner of 2 C4S's (996 and 2010 997) and a recent test driver of a Techart modded 600hp turbo, I feel qualified to answer the OP's question.

YES, there is a BIG difference.

The turbo reminded me more of my old literbike (not quite as fast, but it was in that world of speed).

The reason I bought the C4S instead was that it was brand NEW and I didn't want to spend the same amount of money on a USED turbo.

If you can afford it, buy the Turbo. The thrill and giggle factors are much higher.

Having said all that.... yeah you really don't need all that power on the road...

And if you really want the ultimate in thrills and giggles... buy any Year 2000+ 1000cc sporbike... you can humiliate Ferrari's, all at the bargain basement price of $10k...

Last edited by thorin; 08-24-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo