Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
this is like every other argument. it simply depends on personal taste. To me my C2S is about the most perfect car for me. that is in no way indictive that it might be perfect for anyone other than me. if you like the turbo better and have the cash by all means that is what you should drive
Ditto.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Why do you have to be so mean-spirited?
I'm very sorry - that is not my intention.

I'm talking like I talk to my brother and sisters when we debate a hot topic. Blunt and to the point.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by blk on blk
this is like every other argument. it simply depends on personal taste. To me my C2S is about the most perfect car for me. that is in no way indictive that it might be perfect for anyone other than me. if you like the turbo better and have the cash by all means that is what you should drive
Yes, personal preference is based on LOTS of factors.

Here we are discussing the power vs. handling dynamics of the TT vs. 997S for a road car.

We all love power that's why we don't have Boxsters anymore. That's why HP is going up and up every year.

My Point: Which is the ultimate ROAD CAR a 997S or a TT? Answer: the TT. Why? Because compared to massive HP and torque the handling dynamics are not a significant factor to 99% of prospective Porsche buyers on public roads or even public back roads

Conclusion: Hands down it's the TT for a amazing and fun road car for the OP.

I also had my head slightly up my a** when I had a 997S (very sorry for the disgusting image, but trying to be funny) and thought the Turbo was compromise for 90% of us 997S owners because of the different handling characteristics as a road car.

Why did I think that? Because that's the VIRUS-LIKE MYTH spread SO EASILY in these forums.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think everyone chimed in. The cars are different quite a bit, mostly that you got a LOT more torque down low and a lot more power up top. The feel of it is quite different, you don't have to downshift to get power and can be in pretty much any gear to sling shot the car. Some want/need that, some enjoy a lighter car, downshifting to the right gear, less moving parts (front axle).

It's very much personal. If you don't track much and like a FAST car for just the fun of acceleration, the Turbo is definitely better in that regard.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nugget
Why do you have to be so mean-spirited?
+1 Nugget

I see insecurity manifesting itself..and wonder why???

LiBr not everyone is wired the same....

Being uncivil detracts from an argument - rather than bolsters it - leaves me feeling the points being made are inchoate.

Last edited by Bill_C4S; 08-25-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Clarity of point
Old 08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
+1 Nugget

I see insecurity manifesting itself..and wonder why???

LiBr not everyone is wired the same....

And I really don't see a reason to make it personal. Such rather demonstrates that your arguments are inchoate.
Awww..., Gee..., now you're just torturing me! C'mon.

Read my response to Nugget a few posts up. Thanks.

BTW, I always avoid making unflattering specific personal references to individual people. I make sure my critical comments regarding individual behavior are generalized.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:15 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one is talking about the elephant in the room. OP subject line: "is there really a big difference between S and Turbo"

Shouldn't the question be broken down into parts?

difference in:
Power?
Vehicle Dynamics?
Operating cost including original purchase price?

Just saying that the point could be more widely discussed than just power and handling, thats all.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
GHills
Instructor

Bill

You're talking about insecurity and then (mis-) using the word inchoate in a car post?!?

I call bs
Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
... We all love power that's why we don't have Boxsters anymore. That's why HP is going up and up every year.
Again off the mark. I would not drive a Boxster/Cayman if it had more power than a 911. I drive a 911 because I prefer the rear weight bias. In fact, I may not like so much the next 911 (991) with its longer wheelbase. The core 911 fan has very specific demands - engine in the rear, short wheelbase, lightness, and yes, a NA engine.

I have no problem with Turbos - great cars, but different. I am core 911.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Kuhan
Racer

This comparison question was asked in the 997 forum so you'll get more people for the non-Turbo.

If this question was asked in the Turbo forum, I would bet you would get more people for the Turbo.

It's like going to a vegetarian forum and asking if you should be eating meat! And the responses will be far worse than the ones we have here
Old 08-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

...compared to massive HP and torque the handling dynamics are not a significant factor to 99% of prospective Porsche buyers...
How did you arrive at this 99% figure? (I think I know)
Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GHills
Bill

You're talking about insecurity and then (mis-) using the word inchoate in a car post?!?

I call bs

On the topic of mis-using...pls clarify for me why.

The defintion used

Inchoate -
1. not yet completed or fully developed; rudimentary.
2. just begun; incipient.
3. not organized; lacking order: an inchoate mass of ideas on the subject.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
On the topic of mis-using...pls clarify for me why.
Didn't you mean "in chocolate"? Personally, I'm not a fan but the wife loves the sutff.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM
LlBr
Drifting

RIDICULOUS RETARDED CRAZY

The guy's got his eye on two cars. A 997S and a 997TT.

Money is not an issue, he's got it to spend and he believes deserves a nice car.

He asks around, "Which of the two cars should I get for fun and public road use?"

It seems a majority of guys here are going to tell him: "Get the 997S because the slightly different steering/handling dynamics, though not readily apparent except on a track, are worth sacrificing 100+HP and big torque for."

C'mon! Get REAL!

LOL

You guys are almost lovable characters!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

+1...if money is no issue...the Turbo all the way....even just for DE use the Turbo is a monster at the track. On the street it is a great ride. The Turbo is nicer than the Carrera S.

RIDICULOUS RETARDED CRAZY

The guy's got his eye on two cars. A 997S and a 997TT.

Money is not an issue, he's got it to spend and he believes deserves a nice car.

He asks around, "Which of the two cars should I get for fun and public road use?"

It seems a majority of guys here are going to tell him: "Get the 997S because the slightly different steering/handling dynamics, though not readily apparent except on a track, are worth sacrificing 100+HP and big torque for."

C'mon! Get REAL!

LOL

You guys are almost lovable characters!

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo