Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

To quote Matthew Broderick at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, "You're still here? It's over. Go home."
Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Yeah. I'm absolutely sure you can teach me a great deal if you were willing and I were to ever show up on a track.

On public roads? Gotta guess "finesse" is a code word for underpowered.

As far as your notion surrounding "better things in life?" WTF are you talking about? A little presumptuous don't you think?

Dont worry, I realize it's all just about debating tactics now.

Take care.
I suggest you chill. Why in hell are you bullying NA forum members if you have no business here?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
To quote Matthew Broderick at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, "You're still here? It's over. Go home."
Thank you very much. I'm very grateful for your suggestion.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Thank you very much. I'm very grateful for your suggestion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZobzVJrSo
Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the lightweight flighty feel of the front end
Oh, this is one of the things I love about 911s - the way they rely on weight transfer to have front grip (why, yes, LlBr, I'm one of those "track people"). It's such a joy to have such a clear feeling of the weight transfer that happens in the vehicle. It's just close enough to other vehicles for me to be able to hop back and forth with ease, but just different enough to be great fun.

I'd prefer to avoid added weight, especially over the front, and as a result, if I wanted more power, I'd look more toward the GT3 / GT2 direction than the Turbo direction. If I wanted high power in a balanced car, I wouldn't be looking at 911s at all.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by equiraptor
Oh, this is one of the things I love about 911s - the way they rely on weight transfer to have front grip (why, yes, LlBr, I'm one of those "track people"). It's such a joy to have such a clear feeling of the weight transfer that happens in the vehicle. It's just close enough to other vehicles for me to be able to hop back and forth with ease, but just different enough to be great fun.

I'd prefer to avoid added weight, especially over the front, and as a result, if I wanted more power, I'd look more toward the GT3 / GT2 direction than the Turbo direction. If I wanted high power in a balanced car, I wouldn't be looking at 911s at all.

Yeah, but that's a feeling that a 4WD has far less. And my point above, some do not care or do not feel. Those who feel it, value it.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by equiraptor

Maybe even look in the Boxster S direction.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:20 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
Yeah, but that's a feeling that a 4WD has far less. And my point above, some do not care or do not feel. Those who feel it, value it.
Do you value "feeling" enough to trade your 997S for 987S?

Can you ever have enough or too much "feeling?" After all the Boxster S is Porsche's masterpiece as far as road cars are concerned.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes! Come join us. Come over to the TT darkside.

I just knew you could be a contender for this! We have officially achieved emoticon overload.....
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I just knew you could be a contender for this! We have officially achieved emoticon overload.....
Yes!

Problem: It seems there's a limit of only 50 emoticons per post! DAMMIT!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Another snide remark showing that you have no clue. Yes, a Boxster is a very balanced low-polar moment autocross car, but that is not what we, classic 911 architecture fans, want. We love the precise rear-biased 911 design - a design that is watered down by the 4WD models. But... I know you will never get it.

To the OP: I suggest you close this thread. You heard the opinion of NA owners and you heard the opinion of a Turbo owner who appears to be bored in the Turbo forum and spends his time in the NA forum. By now you should have your answers.

Stats: LIbr's last 50 posts - 33 in the 997 Forum and only 2 in the Turbo Forum.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

by looking quickly at LlBr's post history it looks as though most of his comments are in the 997 NA forum and usually less caustic. He doesnt look to be as argumentative and he's clearly being used as a wind up toy for anyone who's willing to feed an alternative opinion.
It's cute really. He's going about insulting anyone he can. I'm sure that his "office staff" that are laughing at "everyone's response" are probably glad that LlBr's using his acidic derrogatory rant in his online commentary and not on them like he probably does every other day.
hmmmmmmmm, if i was to bet on career it's probably middle management, cubicle jockey, with zero room for upward progress. Hence the pent up frustration and extra time on his hands.

No disrespect to anyone middle management OR sitting in cubicles.

Prediction, rants will turn in my direction and we all will lose interest.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
*nod* Those who don't like that feel, but still want a 911, may prefer the 4 or the Turbo rather than the 2 or the GT3/GT2. To each their own.

Nah. I'm not a Boxster person (or a Cayman person). In that area, I'd prefer an Elise/Exige. I'm not sure where I'd look for 911 Turbo type acceleration in a balanced car, but it probably wouldn't have a Porsche badge.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that's a good way to answer your good question.
I don't think it's a valid approach. I don't doubt that your perspective is normal among turbo owners. I'd expect it to be, in fact, since those are people who have evaluated their options and chosen to buy the turbo.

I'm asking why you seem so confident that your opinion is shared by "99%" (your number) of all people, even those who haven't driven a turbo and don't own one. Why do you believe your opinion is the normal or common one?

And, again, just to be clear -- I don't know if it is or isn't. I just think you're making an invalid assumption that your opinion is what's normal and that people who disagree with you are the oddballs. Earlier in this thread you said that "99%" (your number) of all people agree with you. How do you know that?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

porsche peacocks prancing around in full plumage make me puke.

this thread was spent 7 pages ago. you're embarrassing yourselves now.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo