Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

WOW!!!! three days and this thread has exploded. at times it has done what i feared it would do, transform. but there had been numerous subjective contributions that made the mark:
1) the C2S lightness vs turbo's heft
2) lower maintenance of the C2S
3) turbo's Power and Torque is overwhelming
4) steering feel and sound of the C2S which i would appreciate

a few very appreciated sharings was the fact that if this was my first porsche, it might be wise to enjoy it and wait before upgrading. yes i am very tempted to get the turbo since the opportunity is there, and of course we can consider the turbo top of the line for the road cars, really dont consider the gt3 and gt2's road cars anymore. top of the line meaning more expensive.. but as mentioned i think Porsche offers so many variants of the 911 because the 911 is the top of the line.. perfection and to cater to all its customer's definition of perfection.
sound, maintenance, nible, agility are all very important to me. a number have said that here the c2s has the advantage. i hate having a car i enjoy that frustrates me when maintenance time comes. i also do not appreciate perfection coupled with complexity. that is why i think the Maclaren F1 will be a better car than the Veyron could ever be.
However, i couldnt resist the temptation of the turbo and went to the dealer.... i then saw a silver on ruffled leather black at the showroom. sat inside and wham!! i remembered someones comment about the difference of upgrading within the same year!! My C2S feels just as good if not better with my sea blue interior! it looks the same! then all of a sudden the possible expense hit me... im paying just for the engine upgrade and it will cost me 2 japanese SUV's. oops i stop in my tracks. opened the engine bay closed it and went out the showroom.
in all of this, everyone agrees to try the car and i did, albeit, just in the showroom, but it was enough, it was enough because everyones sharing helped make it enough.
i actually hoped that the bickering that occured wold not happen but it did. and honeslty guys it made the thread loose its way. maybe we can handle these things better next time. we are here as brothers to share not to ARGUE. to sincerly help and guide each other by sharing without any return. we are all free to express our feelings but maybe as grown up men we should know when to temper it.
equiraptor is a lady???
dan your opinion matters, your previous posts in other threads i have read are much appreciated and respected.
hockeypuck, you made so much sense and it hit me when i sat down inside the turbo. i tried to smell the car and feel the car.. it was the same.
for the numerous guys who said, you cant even fully utilize what the C2S can offer and then you decide to go to the turbo- might not be a wise decision. You make perfect sense. Where i am with the traffic and the now speed limited highways not to mention potholes and speedbumps, it makes perfect sense...i have a brother with a lower c4s and he is envous how i can just drive over the speed bumps and he has to slowly put the car sideways to avoid scraping the bottom.
so many ideas and all are appreciated. though i know i will be blown by the turbo libr, and for sure i will in the future go through that route, when a white with sea blue interior pops up in the showroom, i just hope its not tomorrow, hahhahaha, i think staying with the c2s will be the choice for the meantime. my engineering background and knowledge and experience with cars tell me that the turbo is really an animal with all the power and torque. but the heft of the added powertrain components surely affect the feel of the car which i think is what a lot of our brothers are talking about. the complexity of the thing is also something to consider. I have a mint w140 s class and i simply appreciate that it is the inline 6 rather than the v12. it just runs and runs. i tend to keep my cars.
Thank you guys for all the sharing...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You made a wise choice Mr. Rick.

I'm depressed now though - I have the slow NA motor, but no steering feel because I have AWD... DAMN YOU, SNOW!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

So long as you get something with a P-car badge on the front hood you should be happy. (And 6-cylinders hanging out back).
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
So long as you get something with a P-car badge on the front hood you should be happy. (And 6-cylinders hanging out back).
Well put Dan. I'll see you out on the roads.

Jay
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Do I still love my Turbo? "You betcha". Peace fellas. Time to leave this thread and move on.

Jay
Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jay - On a serious note, where do you find the space to exercise your Turbo in Connecticut? I live in Virginia, home to some glorious driving roads, but heavily policed with ridiculously low speed limits, thus making a Turbo redundant. It's the only reason I don't drive one...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it is as it should be. For the 997 body style, your mate is your C2S.
Your next car (eventually) will likely be a TT in the upcoming 991 body style. That's the next chapter though, maybe 3-5 yrs away.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:51 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicky rick
equiraptor is a lady???
Yes, I'm female, though sometimes not much of a lady! I'm dating Nugget, and we share our passion for cars. We track regularly, with some competition thrown in.

I see your pictures thread, but I didn't see pictures of the interior. Do you have shots of that sea blue up somewhere?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Congratulations. You survived your first Porsche crisis--the irrestible craving for an even more powerful porsche-- intact. Consider yourself lucky. Most of us don't survive it, and wind up 20 grand or more in the hole.
(I succumbed too, trading in my base Cayman for a C2S after owning it less than 8 months).
Old 08-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Summed up well, slicky rick. Glad you got something useful out of all this....
Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Where's OC Ben when you need him?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

if oc ben where here this would have been more than 20 pages already hahahaha.. thanks all guys...and gal.
equiraptor, im sure your all the lady nugget needs...
i will try to shoot some pictures but i am really bad with that gadget. i will ask my nephew to take some for me. sea blue is a good blend of class and sport and it seems so much better than plain black imo. with more character.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
You'll gain that straightline speed & torque like others pointed out, but it lacks the steering feel of a Carrera S. Just depends on what you value more, and what you're willing to pay for it. I'd rather have a turbo but my Carrera suits me fine for now.
To say I have not been lusting for a Turbo since 1995 would be an understatement. I remember the first time I saw a 993 TT I told myself then, while working at Starbucks as a twenty-something, if I ever own a single car in my lifetime it will be that car. Well each time Porsche has released a new version Turbo I have said the same thing.

I had never driven a Carrera until a few weeks ago at the Porsche Zentrum at Quail Lodge in Carmel. Specifically a C4S with only 150 miles on the Odometer. When my chaperon turned on PASM going up Laurales Grade road I was sold. I figured what is the point of a Turbo when this car is fast enough?

I'm currently in negotiations with my better half on getting a C4S when the next models come out, 991/998. After driving it around for a few years maybe I can reevaluate where i am then and see if a Turbo is needed.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
All other factors being equal, sure. The issue is that when comparing the Turbo to a C2S the other factors are not equal. To gain the extra power of the Turbo you also have to accept 4WD and and over 300lbs of extra weight (10%). To many drivers that's a bad compromise.

I also challenge your assertion that it's the difference isn't relevant on public roads. That's very regional. you're probably right for those of use who live in flatland Houston but it's definitely not true if you live in a hilly world with lots of twisty roads to drive (oh how I miss Austin). Plenty of people live in an area of the country where the public roads can exploit the lighter, more nimble handling of a C2S and for whom the differences are more than just academic benchmark racing.

Clearly the only rational solution is a GT2 RS
I agree whole wholeheartedly... Can't wait to see what the depreciation curve will be on these cars. Not much, just a little, same thing as a plain jane GT2? I expect it to hold its value like a CGT or 959 and to perhaps to even go up in value.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
To say I have not been lusting for a Turbo since 1995 would be an understatement. I remember the first time I saw a 993 TT I told myself then, while working at Starbucks as a twenty-something, if I ever own a single car in my lifetime it will be that car. Well each time Porsche has released a new version Turbo I have said the same thing.

I had never driven a Carrera until a few weeks ago at the Porsche Zentrum at Quail Lodge in Carmel. Specifically a C4S with only 150 miles on the Odometer. When my chaperon turned on PASM going up Laurales Grade road I was sold. I figured what is the point of a Turbo when this car is fast enough?

I'm currently in negotiations with my better half on getting a C4S when the next models come out, 991/998. After driving it around for a few years maybe I can reevaluate where i am then and see if a Turbo is needed.
Ughghg dont do this to me............. i have my heart set on an 07 turbo but when i see posts like this i wonder if i should save a little money and go with an S. I know they are plenty fast.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo