Sponsored by:

pics of my toy

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts
Default pics of my toy

never really was a photgraphy expert but a nephew of mine was able to get some pics worthy of sharing...my p-car
a couple of the pics is my version of the front grille. the center grille is removable for easy cleaning of the tunnel just in case dirt goes in.
proud of the way i made it...brought the car to the dealership one of those days and they were surprised on how good it looks...was asking where i had it made did not have the guts to tell them got the grille from someones scrap heap for $2 and installed it myself.
Attached Images     
Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a beauty! Very nice.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Taxi?
Instructor

The wheels complement the color of the car very nicely.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Great minds. I did the same thing yesterday and built front grills that closely match the ones you made. I also wanted the center one removable to be able to clean inside. Question do you have as many small cuts on your hands from fitting the sharp metal. These should be factory standard.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

well fortunately my working hands have toughened through the years and are already resistant to cuts. my local dealer thinks the same, it should be factory standard...well at least he said it looked factory standard, hehehe.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Gj325
Pro

Looks great. Good job.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Great looking car. Love the front grill. Nice work.

Jay
Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Slicky, thanks for posting pics of your car. I had a 07 Carrera S in white and loved it and now have Guards Red and like it but I think I like the white more.

I need some grills like this to keep all the rubber bits ect out I get at the track. What did you do to make these and install them. How easy is the center one to take out to vaccum up ect debris that gets by the grills?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:47 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

River rocks, tropical banana leaves, beautiful car with a 911 badge all very well captured in those pics...just too many things to savor. I'll lap it all up. Thank you for posting and enjoy her safely.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sharp!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

okay i will try to explain how the grilles work. i was fortunate enough to get some scrap grilles from a fiberglass shop. they mold bumpers and other stuff from fiberglass. we have a lot of them here. now i installed the side grilles similar to the procedure we already have here in the forum. i will post the link. the center one is the "special" install. with the bumper installed i carefully molded the grille to fit exactly!!!exactly!! on the front opening. the hole is tapered so if the grille is exactly cut it will not go through and stay in one place. now to prevent the grille from scraping the paint i have extra xpel door guard. its the plastic strip you put on the door edge to prevent scrapes on the paint when you accidentally hit the door. i hope everyone is still following me.. now i placed the plastic strip around the opening.
Now for the ingenious part. try to look at the center grille, you will see four round buttons. These actually are buttons used on clothes. the buttons have a loop inside. I attached nylon cords to these four buttons and threaded them through the black plastic we have there in the center. i then passed the nylon thorugh and they are now secured to the body via the screws on top of the bumper. I am actually very proud of it as it is so easy to maintain cleaniliness on the inside.
it takes less than 5 minutes to remove the grille and it has been speed tested to 220kph without problems.
to remove i simply remove the top plastic cover held by velcros. this cover is the one you remove to access the screws to remove the bumper. loosen the screws that hold the nylon in place and use a special hook to pull the grille out from the front. and there you have it free access to the inside to clean.
special mention the nylon cord are long enough that when you pull the grille out the cord still comes out the top where it is held by the screws. when reinstalling you simply pull the cords back and grille slides into place again.
If there are unclear items please ask and i will try to get pictures to help in your installation
Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

mike i will try to explain better with some pics. tell me what is unclear to you. i think this method will be very good for you as you can protect your radiator when you track and still clean the inside easily when some small bits go through.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 452 Posts

Great job. wish I could do the same with mine but it sounds complicated...and my hands are not that skilled or hard! Would like to see more detailed pics tho! You may have something there that will pay for your next p-car!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
okay i will try to explain how the grilles work. i was fortunate enough to get some scrap grilles from a fiberglass shop. they mold bumpers and other stuff from fiberglass. we have a lot of them here. now i installed the side grilles similar to the procedure we already have here in the forum. i will post the link. the center one is the "special" install. with the bumper installed i carefully molded the grille to fit exactly!!!exactly!! on the front opening. the hole is tapered so if the grille is exactly cut it will not go through and stay in one place. now to prevent the grille from scraping the paint i have extra xpel door guard. its the plastic strip you put on the door edge to prevent scrapes on the paint when you accidentally hit the door. i hope everyone is still following me.. now i placed the plastic strip around the opening.
Now for the ingenious part. try to look at the center grille, you will see four round buttons. These actually are buttons used on clothes. the buttons have a loop inside. I attached nylon cords to these four buttons and threaded them through the black plastic we have there in the center. i then passed the nylon thorugh and they are now secured to the body via the screws on top of the bumper. I am actually very proud of it as it is so easy to maintain cleaniliness on the inside.
it takes less than 5 minutes to remove the grille and it has been speed tested to 220kph without problems.
to remove i simply remove the top plastic cover held by velcros. this cover is the one you remove to access the screws to remove the bumper. loosen the screws that hold the nylon in place and use a special hook to pull the grille out from the front. and there you have it free access to the inside to clean.
special mention the nylon cord are long enough that when you pull the grille out the cord still comes out the top where it is held by the screws. when reinstalling you simply pull the cords back and grille slides into place again.
If there are unclear items please ask and i will try to get pictures to help in your installation
Dude, you had me at...actually, you completely lost me, but super impressive to this knucklehead. Maybe some install pics?
Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
mike i will try to explain better with some pics. tell me what is unclear to you. i think this method will be very good for you as you can protect your radiator when you track and still clean the inside easily when some small bits go through.
Rick. I have to do this grill mod for my car. However I am completly lost on the install.

I like your idea of doing this WITHOUT having to remove the bumper. I want to be able to quickly remove the center grill to vaccum out the stuff that does get by the grills.

Quick Reply: pics of my toy