Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I hear you about the cars. There's no question that the Turbo is the daddy. I'm not making the "steering feel" argument nor am I denying that the Turbo is the lust-worthy one. You hit on something that also affected my decision: Virginia is one of the few places where radar detectors are a no-no. If radar detectors were legal here, I'd be driving a Turbo.
Dont understand this one completely? My 997.2 C2S can get to illegal speeds very quickly, maybe 0.5 second slower than a Turbo. Either way, not sure why you need a radar detector in 1 and not the other.

For me, I'd love a turbo. And i'll likely get one at some point. But I like my C2S and it being light, darty and fast. Its really quick and around town, you cant really even exploit it that often. With a TT, there maybe extra frustration
Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Dont understand this one completely? My 997.2 C2S can get to illegal speeds very quickly, maybe 0.5 second slower than a Turbo. Either way, not sure why you need a radar detector in 1 and not the other.

But I like my C2S and it being light, darty and fast. Its really quick and around town, you cant really even exploit it that often. With a TT, there maybe extra frustration
Agree.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, I'd love a turbo. And i'll likely get one at some point. But I like my C2S and it being light, darty and fast. Its really quick and around town, you cant really even exploit it that often. With a TT, there maybe extra frustration

"Frustration?!"

Whipping around corners in a TT and hitting the twisties on public roads is light, darty and fast. Most importantly: Please be advised, with your right foot, the car goes very fast very fast (there is none of that "gathering of speed" feeling which involves extra time which tempts extra risk and danger) so there plenty of opportunities for the extra joy, exhuberance, delight, great pleasure, joyfulness, jubilation, triumph, exultation, happiness, gladness, glee, exhilaration, exuberance, elation, euphoria, bliss, ecstasy, rapture, enjoyment, joie de vivre with the Turbo.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's not about 0-60 numbers. I just know when I did my test-drive, I did 30 to 80 in the blink of the eye in the Turbo. That is serious "go to jail" speed in VA. My C4S is nowhere near that fast. If you think the C2S is that fast, you need to test-drive a Turbo. It's shockingly fast.

Your comment about not being able to exploit the Turbo ties directly into my decision to not get a Turbo in favor of the C4S. My beef is that even the C4S rarely gets to stretch its legs. Perhaps I should've kept my base Cayman!
Old 08-31-2010, 08:57 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

major point for the decision chris. but libr's point also will stick to mind.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by slicky rick
major point for the decision chris. but libr's point also will stick to mind.
Thanks. You inspired me to report I just got back from a long drive/trip. The conflicting POVs here in this very thread were on my mind now and then during my trip.

Ya know what? It's a blast to drive this car. Today for instance, did this several times, I'm driving along and not sticking out, going with the flow of traffic then all of a sudden things open up and I floor it to reach 100mph and catch up to the cars in front of me. I got another few SECONDS of wonder and amazement. It happens so fast, you're back down to everybody else's speed and no cops can ever detect those maneuvers (unless you are extremely unlucky and probably driving a bright red car ).

That's just one example of low risk high yield fun. There're lots more: especially if you travel on KNOWN familiar roads and understand local cop behavior.

The car is a dream, one minute it's fitting in meekly with traffic, the next minute it's a monster.

More impressions from my trip today? More power also means your passing operations will be quicker and 'safer.'
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by LlBr
Today for instance, did this several times, I'm driving along and not sticking out, going with the flow of traffic then all of a sudden things open up and I floor it to reach 100mph and catch up to the cars in front of me. I got another few SECONDS of wonder and amazement. It happens so fast, you're back down to everybody else's speed and no cops can ever detect those maneuvers (unless you are extremely unlucky and probably driving a bright red car ).

That's just one example of low risk high yield fun. There're lots more: especially if you travel on KNOWN familiar roads and understand local cop behavior.

The car is a dream, one minute it's fitting in meekly with traffic, the next minute it's a monster.

More impressions from my trip today? More power also means your passing operations will be quicker and 'safer.'
You need to get that thing out on the track where you won't be as much of a hazard to yourself or others. If you really believe that doing 100+ on U.S public roads is "safe" you have a monumentally skewed perspective. Think of the last time you were in a vehicle with your family and saw someone blow by or come rushing up from behind at that kind of speed. I doubt that safety was the thought that came to mind.

I've done 175 on the Autobahn and 150+ on track so it's not that I'm opposed to speed. But my mindset has changed over the years and some things that I used to do on the street seem pretty stupid to me now. Watching your own kids drive off and knowing that they will be on the road with all kinds of drunks and crazies does that to you, I guess. Take it to the track.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

easy brother mike, libr's just sharing. im pretty sure he does not do that everytime he gets a chance to. we still all have this kid in us but of course we all have learned to temper it with age, wisdom and knowledge. but letting it out sometimes makes us relive the memories of the carefree attitude we use to have. and im sure it happens to you too. and im also sure it makes you smile even if your just alone in the car. however, brother libr must temper this kid in all of us. as the spiderman show says" with great power comes great responsibility" the turbo is great power..libr should exhibit great responsibility... everybody agree? with the turbo's power im sure its going to be difficult hahaha. may the force be with you brother libr.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

easy brother mike, libr's just sharing. im pretty sure he does not do that everytime he gets a chance to. we still all have this kid in us but of course we all have learned to temper it with age, wisdom and knowledge. but letting it out sometimes makes us relive the memories of the carefree attitude we use to have. and im sure it happens to you too. and im also sure it makes you smile even if your just alone in the car. however, brother libr must temper this kid in all of us. as the spiderman show says" with great power comes great responsibility" the turbo is great power..libr should exhibit great responsibility... everybody agree? with the turbo's power im sure its going to be difficult hahaha. may the force be with you brother libr.
Ah, pouring a little oil on troubled waters, eh brother rick? I appreciate your comments. I won't say I never indulge myself anymore, but it has been greatly tempered by that age and wisdom you refer to. And when I do indulge, I don't delude myself into thinking that I wasn't in fact taking a risk and that if I'd blown it, I didn't have a lot to lose. Just my perspective; didn't mean to come down too hard. Peace on.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 PM
LlBr
Drifting

No problemo. I should be more specific. I have strict rules/conditions for putting the hammer down for a few seconds. Main one is there is NEVER any oncoming traffic and there are no driveways or intersections always daylight. The view is always clear. The way I figure it? Gonna hit a deer or rabbit if I hit anything. Oh well. Life is full of risks.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:02 AM
LlBr
Drifting

as the spiderman show says" with great power comes great responsibility" the turbo is great power..libr should exhibit great responsibility... everybody agree? with the turbo's power im sure its going to be difficult hahaha. may the force be with you brother libr.
Thanks again Bro! Gotta reiterate. The car goes so fast so fast and braking is so certain it's like nothing. There's always an obstacle or uncertainty so you can NOT sustain that speed. Most of the time it's always only for a few seconds. Soooooooo cool.

Y'all know the 997S hits 80 like nothing. How many of you guys hit 80 that way and how frequently? The TT hits 100 like nothing. Same thing: no feeling of endangerment. Difference? Turbo work has to be done in shorter bursts because closing speed gets freaky and there's no room.

Seriously, I TOTALLY get the safety thing; also my hormone levels can't possibly be what they used to be
Old 09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Thanks. You inspired me to report I just got back from a long drive/trip. The conflicting POVs here in this very thread were on my mind now and then during my trip.

Ya know what? It's a blast to drive this car. Today for instance, did this several times, I'm driving along and not sticking out, going with the flow of traffic then all of a sudden things open up and I floor it to reach 100mph and catch up to the cars in front of me. I got another few SECONDS of wonder and amazement. It happens so fast, you're back down to everybody else's speed and no cops can ever detect those maneuvers (unless you are extremely unlucky and probably driving a bright red car ).

Funny, this was the main reason I sold the Turbo. Got tired of trying to get on boost all the time.

No offense to you, as I certainly understand the thrill of speed, but I think I'm just getting over the speed thing! I use to love going to the track, but these days, I just like listening to the sound of the engine and feeling the pull to 70!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Funny, this was the main reason I sold the Turbo. Got tired of trying to get on boost all the time.
There's your problem! (just kidding, trying to be funny ) "All the time."

I understand what you mean. I was not totally behaved when I first got the car; I took some chances. You finally realize you can't do it all the time and have a clear conscience.

Like I mentioned, the car is pretty meek and stays in line with the other traffic and is perfectly happy (happy even in a parking lot). I HATE to admit I LIKE the quiet exhaust sound (Porsche is onto something!).

Main Point: On the road following Subarus, when and if things open up, when traffic gets lighter, you can have some real amazing fun now and then if conditions are right.

Oh! BTW, Using passing lane on the Interstate? Whole 'nother story!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I suppose it depends on where you live. Ever been to Kansas? You can go 100mph there for tens of minutes and not encounter a car or curve the whole time. Nothing at all like Northern VA or the Bay Area.

I'm pretty tame on public roads -- I get it out of my system at the track -- but I recognize that for some of us 100mph isn't an inherently dangerous thing. You try driving to El Paso some time and keeping it to double-digit speeds. It's impossible.

I still say that planting your foot to 100mph is painfully boring compared to late apexing into the carousel at 50mph, but everyone's got their own thrills. I'll take my Gs lateral, thanks.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The problem in America is that you can't routinely drive very fast legally so your skill levels are depressed. Couple that with American drivers who are completely asleep at the wheel and you have the makings of a disaster. I'm no where near as skilled as I once was when I lived in Germany, routinely going above 100 mph legally everyday to work.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo