Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:38 AM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

But I can't. Almost 5 months ago I traded in an 08 Corvette convertible for a new 2009 911 Carrera S Cabrolet...a $109,000.00 car that hs been one of the worst automotive experiences that I can remember. And, in the last 22 years I have owned (one car at a time) 9 Corvettes, 2 Ferraris, a Nissan 300ZX, a Mini Cooper, a Camero and a Viper. The Porsche and the Viper are neck and neck for worst car honors. But I dumped the Porsche today for a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible, which I will have this week. The Porsche, in 5 months and 5900 miles, burned 9 quarts of oil, and constantly stunk to high heaven of a burning rubber smell. The oil consumption was, according to Porsche, acceptable because Porsche says it's OK to use up to 1.6 quarts every 622 miles! That is completely absurd. GM cars have an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1 quart every 2000 miles. And the burning smell is a result of either cosmoline on the engine and a muffler system mounted in such a way as it heats the tires and picks up every piece of road junk and burns it. Furthermore, the entire audio system went out, the heater does not work properly, and the fuel pump went at 4500 miles. Plus, the performance is quite average and the Corvette Grand Sport is quicker, will out handle the Porsche and sounds like a car should sound. Finally, the fact that the 9 Corvettes that I have owned since 1991 have ALL been completely trouble free. On the other hand, neither the Porsche dealer nor Porsche North America made any attempt to try to solve most of my problems except to replace the fuel pump. They told me the oil consumptiion, the burning smell, and the way the heater works is normal. As for the radio, the dealer would not fix it until they had permission from Porsche North America! Then they said the problem is caused because I have an iphone hooked up to bluetooth! I am convinced that the hype over German engineering is just that....total hype. ( and I have owned a Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW, and the only one that was trouble free was the VW GTI!) So it's good riddens Porsche and hello to my 10th Corvette, and I could not be happier!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it goes.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:00 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can only agree with you on the oil consumption, my '09 eats it up too, and yes I find it to be unacceptable. Otherwise, I've owned two C5's and four 997's, and would never go back to a Vette. All my 997's have been amazing.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's clear from all your postings from how to brake (sic) in an engine to the smell of cosmoline burning off the engine over many months that you have never been pleased with this car--which you got for a very good price. I concur that engine oil consumption out of Porsche is total BS. Any other manufacturer would be called on the carpet if they told their buyers that the excessive oil usage of some of these engines is 'normal.'

Good luck back in the world of Chevrolet.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:05 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
But I can't. Almost 5 months ago I traded in an 08 Corvette convertible for a new 2009 911 Carrera S Cabrolet...a $109,000.00 car that hs been one of the worst automotive experiences that I can remember. And, in the last 22 years I have owned (one car at a time) 9 Corvettes, 2 Ferraris, a Nissan 300ZX, a Mini Cooper, a Camero and a Viper. The Porsche and the Viper are neck and neck for worst car honors. But I dumped the Porsche today for a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible, which I will have this week. The Porsche, in 5 months and 5900 miles, burned 9 quarts of oil, and constantly stunk to high heaven of a burning rubber smell. The oil consumption was, according to Porsche, acceptable because Porsche says it's OK to use up to 1.6 quarts every 622 miles! That is completely absurd. GM cars have an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1 quart every 2000 miles. And the burning smell is a result of either cosmoline on the engine and a muffler system mounted in such a way as it heats the tires and picks up every piece of road junk and burns it. Furthermore, the entire audio system went out, the heater does not work properly, and the fuel pump went at 4500 miles. Plus, the performance is quite average and the Corvette Grand Sport is quicker, will out handle the Porsche and sounds like a car should sound. Finally, the fact that the 9 Corvettes that I have owned since 1991 have ALL been completely trouble free. On the other hand, neither the Porsche dealer nor Porsche North America made any attempt to try to solve most of my problems except to replace the fuel pump. They told me the oil consumptiion, the burning smell, and the way the heater works is normal. As for the radio, the dealer would not fix it until they had permission from Porsche North America! Then they said the problem is caused because I have an iphone hooked up to bluetooth! I am convinced that the hype over German engineering is just that....total hype. ( and I have owned a Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW, and the only one that was trouble free was the VW GTI!) So it's good riddens Porsche and hello to my 10th Corvette, and I could not be happier!
What kind of attention whoring post is this? You really expect us to believe that you owned a Camaro and yet cant even spell the name? Weak and obvious trolling effort.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned all German cars in the last 20 years and could not be happier. Everyone has a story to tell about a bad car they owned.... Yeap, GM is great....thats why we all own them!
Good Luck
abe
Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lowside67
What kind of attention whoring post is this? You really expect us to believe that you owned a Camaro and yet cant even spell the name? Weak and obvious trolling effort.
+1.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
Reads like a long version of a late night General Motors TV commercial with spotlighted naked chicks crawling all over a metallic gold Corvette with abandoned, smoldering Porsches and BMW's in the background. Not a good effort. Try again with less obvious Corvette love and less obvious disdain of German cars.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:15 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

In my experience, some guys are Corvette guys and some are Porsche guys, but rarely both. Obviously you must be a "Corvette guy". Sorry, however, that perhaps you had an unusually bad Porsche experience. Your oil consumption was high (I have never had unusual oil consumption in almost 10 Porsches); can't comment on the other problems. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:15 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Reads like a long version of a late night General Motors TV commercial with spotlighted naked chicks crawling all over a metallic gold Corvette with abandoned, smoldering Porsches and BMW's in the background. Well done
This post is worthless without pictures!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 AM
jugger911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Porsche vs. Vette are two different animals. I have a good freind that has a new vette. Don't get me wrong, it is very nice! Just doesn't do much for me. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

It's all for the best. The OP might have had bad luck but what he wanted all along was a Vette.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope to see the DME report of the car... that probably will explain a lot of things. Wink!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

First my 2009 Carerra S does not seem to burn oil at the rate some have said. I have 13,000+ miles on it, followed the break in procedures for the first 1000 miles and then slowly modified them. I change oil every 5000 miles and use less than one quart in between. No smell and the radio / PCM has been great. The car has been basically trouble free. By the way it is a November '08 PDK build and that has been trouble free also.

As for Corvettes, actually a very good car I am also a life member of the National Corvette Museum . Had a 2005 C6 and then a 2008 C6 both nice EXCEPT for a well built sports car Chevrolet puts very marginal seats in them. I don't mean the covering the seats themselves offer little support and are very short from hip to knee. The 2005 Corvettes with manual transmission had a electrical issue that caused the battery to randomly go dead so nothing is perfect.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 AM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Reads like a long version of a late night General Motors TV commercial with spotlighted naked chicks crawling all over a metallic gold Corvette with abandoned, smoldering Porsches and BMW's in the background. Not a good effort. Try again with less obvious Corvette love and less obvious disdain of German cars.
Completely agree.

Also note to the OP:
There is a key on the right hand side of your keyboard called the "return" key which starts a new paragraph. You could consider using this.

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE