Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM
red frog
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, this Is a pretty ruff statement. The writer get's one letter wrong in his post and someone jumps into Spell-Check mode. That's very un-cool. Sorry for your trouble's, And I truely Hope you don't miss the Rock Star status that the Porsche brings.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Project 951
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minok
Sorry. I meant to Say "***, Door, No Hitting, You"
L O L!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

To the OP, it is unfortunate that you had a poor car and a poor dealer. Both are unacceptable in such an expensive car. My experiences have been quite the opposite; zero oil usage in just under 4000 miles, a total blast, and great dealer support thus far (though I haven't actually needed much).

I do agree that there seem to be Porsche owners and 'Vette owners, much like there are Democrats and Republicans.

I wish you great success and enjoyment with your new 'Vette.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gray911
Thank goodness you sold your car. There will be less Porsche on the road. Unlike your Corvette, which I see in every corner in town.
thats funny. I've heard some Ferrari owners say similar things about Porsches.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I have an ’05 C2 with about 33k on it. It’s a daily driver. I use it and service it like most of my other cars-nothing special just normal use & care. The car has been a blast. Absolutely no oil consumption between services. Everyone I know that owns a Porsche loves their car. Sounds like the OP just got a bad car. That’s unfortunate. What he chooses to get next, whether it be a Corvette or Prius, is his choice.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dariof...ND v USC

...I was there too. This was in 2003...son now older still a little traitor. Accepted 3 years ago at ND/USC for engineering he decided Harvey Mudd.
abe
Attached Images   
Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. I am on my fourth Porsche and knock wood have been lucky they all have been great and I have had none of the known problems like RMS, oil consumption etc.

I love the platform and the brand.

I will not defend Porsche's stance on many things like oil consumption, if you put a muffler by pass on we will not cover your RMS leak, if you take your car to the track we may void your warranty etc.

Maybe it's the economy or a sign of the times we live in but I think they were better with their customers years ago and not so much anymore.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
...I was there too. This was in 2003...son now older still a little traitor. Accepted 3 years ago at ND/USC for engineering he decided Harvey Mudd.
abe
Great Pics from the game. When I get home, I'll have to scan my game tickets and post them.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
I do agree that there seem to be Porsche owners and 'Vette owners, much like there are Democrats and Republicans.
OK, no need for rude name calling - we're cars guys and don't deserve such characterizations - no matter what we drive.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by At Law
I'm sure he'll be complaining about the rattling plastic interior
pieces, the creaky body, and the horrible fit and finish of the Porvette
in a couple of months.

At least he'll be able to pick up a few big haired blond, tight jean wearing,
cowboy loving skanks in the process.

BEST POST EVER!!! ROFLOL!!!
-Lee
Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by gray911
Thank goodness you sold your car. There will be less Porsche on the road. Unlike your Corvette, which I see in every corner in town.
comments like this are just childish.

Its not like porsche is a niche manufacturer these days.

The guy had a 911 with issues. He got rid of it for a vette and now he's happy. Why not just congratulate him without these snide remarks.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Why not just congratulate him without these snide remarks.
Because we hate Corvettes and their drivers.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
Given that you only have 26 posts to your credit, I wonder how much research you even did about the brand and particular model care BEFORE you purchased the car, as given the issues you have had, you must have spent the other 25 posts on threads about the broken audio system, smelly engine, horrible handling, bad performance, etc.

Its hard to give a lot of value to a post form someone who didn't seem to know what they were getting, what they wanted, and seems to have had exceptionally bad luck in their purchase as well (which can happen, lemons exist in all brands).

Given that you have owned 15 cars in 22 years doesn't add credibility to your complaint either, as it indicates you really don't get involved in your cars beyond just 'its a ride that goes fast'.
Wow!!! That's a pretty big leap....

Credibility is based on posting count????? He lacks credibility because he's owned several cars?????

I was hoping for a more civilized forum but I guess they're all the same...
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who are we preaching to? The OP left this thread a while back.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
But I can't. Almost 5 months ago I traded in an 08 Corvette convertible for a new 2009 911 Carrera S Cabrolet...a $109,000.00 car that hs been one of the worst automotive experiences that I can remember. And, in the last 22 years I have owned (one car at a time) 9 Corvettes, 2 Ferraris, a Nissan 300ZX, a Mini Cooper, a Camero and a Viper. The Porsche and the Viper are neck and neck for worst car honors. But I dumped the Porsche today for a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible, which I will have this week. The Porsche, in 5 months and 5900 miles, burned 9 quarts of oil, and constantly stunk to high heaven of a burning rubber smell. The oil consumption was, according to Porsche, acceptable because Porsche says it's OK to use up to 1.6 quarts every 622 miles! That is completely absurd. GM cars have an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1 quart every 2000 miles. And the burning smell is a result of either cosmoline on the engine and a muffler system mounted in such a way as it heats the tires and picks up every piece of road junk and burns it. Furthermore, the entire audio system went out, the heater does not work properly, and the fuel pump went at 4500 miles. Plus, the performance is quite average and the Corvette Grand Sport is quicker, will out handle the Porsche and sounds like a car should sound. Finally, the fact that the 9 Corvettes that I have owned since 1991 have ALL been completely trouble free. On the other hand, neither the Porsche dealer nor Porsche North America made any attempt to try to solve most of my problems except to replace the fuel pump. They told me the oil consumptiion, the burning smell, and the way the heater works is normal. As for the radio, the dealer would not fix it until they had permission from Porsche North America! Then they said the problem is caused because I have an iphone hooked up to bluetooth! I am convinced that the hype over German engineering is just that....total hype. ( and I have owned a Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW, and the only one that was trouble free was the VW GTI!) So it's good riddens Porsche and hello to my 10th Corvette, and I could not be happier!
So to sum it up:
  • You don't like the smell of cosmoline.
  • You had a bad experience with the dealer.
  • Your (is it aftermarket or factory?) iPhone and bluetooth integration may have caused issues with the MOST loop in the PCM
  • Your car burns more oil than you'd like
  • Fuel pump went bad very early

The first is subjective. I personally love the smell of hot 911 bits after a hard drive. My wife even bought me a cologne called "Garage" that has a similar smell as a joke (I don't wear cologne).

Re: the second bullet, it sounds like you had an adversarial relationship with your service department. It's unfortunate that this happened at a Porsche dealership, but as someone who worked in car sales many moons ago I can tell you it happens everywhere, no matter how much you spend (and sometimes because of how much you spend).

Ignore the ad-hominem attacks from the posters here, your grammar and choice in cars have nothing to do with the problems you experienced. Understand that they're coming from people who love the brand, love their cars and are enthusiasts just like you. A Corvette is a true sports car, I've driven a few and can acknowledge that. On a car forum dedicated to one brand, it's hard to find fans of another.

Your car was most certainly not a "lemon" as some suggest here, at least not by a statutory test. Hopefully your new Vette will be trouble-free, but if it's not and your dealer serves up a bad attitude you should vote with your wallet and go elsewhere. Talk to the manufacturer if you feel like you're being treated unfairly. This is a step that could have been taken if you were still in a Porsche, so hopefully it's a lesson learned.

The DFI oil consumption and soot issues have been raised by members of this forum and others, so you're not alone. Hopefully we'll see Porsche step up and address this, or perhaps as the '09 problem cars mature they will return to "normal" consumption. Either way all we have here is anecdotal evidence.

Best of luck to you in your new car.

M.

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE