Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

equally good looks
I have to call shenanigans!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
oh, and Porsche should be absolutely ASHAMED at their oil burning standards. 1.6 quarts in 622 miles is about 1 quart per tank of gas. Most 300,000 mile chevys don't burn that much oil.
My old Chevy pickup burned about 1 qt. of oil to a tank of gas. A tank of gas lasted about 225mi. It was doing that by the time it had 60k mi..

Phil
Old 03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Reads like a long version of a late night General Motors TV commercial with spotlighted naked chicks crawling all over a metallic gold Corvette with abandoned, smoldering Porsches and BMW's in the background.
Yup. Late night TV. That's when your mind starts to shut down. Would be a good time to consider Jeep because it's an excellent performer compared to vette, just think: perfect oil consumption!
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by rvklein
I have to call shenanigans!
call it whatever you want. The porsche looks more classy, the corvette more aggressive. Both are very attractive car. Preference can go one way or the other.
Originally Posted by RollingArt
My old Chevy pickup burned about 1 qt. of oil to a tank of gas. A tank of gas lasted about 225mi. It was doing that by the time it had 60k mi..

Phil
Pretty rare as GM's engines are some of the best in the business, but just more proof than anyone can have a bad experience with anything.

Anecdotes mean nothing.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
rvklein
Racer

vette styling after 1967/68 always struck me as cheesy...
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

I appreciate the supportive comments from most of you and am sincerely happy that most have not had the problems that I have experienced. Having a 109K car for less than 4 months (not 5 months as I had a typo in my original post), driving almost 6000 miles (my daily driver) and adding a quart every 500 miles is just not acceptable on a new modern day car. My point is that had I known this I would have not bought the car, but I was never informed by the salesman or GM that Porsche uses a tremendous amount of oil compared to ANY other new car. I did open a case with Porsche North America, went to mediation and arbritration and got nowhere. Porsche North America told me that on page 288 (or 286) of the owners manual it states that 1.6 quarts every 622 miles is acceptable consumption. I informed them that no one, and I mean no one, is given their 300 page owners manual and told to read it prior to signing their paperwork and taking delivery of a car. Their atitude was "too bad". Even when i had problems with my Ferrari's (very few problems) the dealer bent over backwards to be helpful. The Porsche dealer, from the salesman to the GM to the entire service department constantly hid their heads in the sand when it came to the possibility that their super car from Germany could possibly have problems.

As for those few of you who take the posture that a Porsche is a "PORSCHE" and a Corvette is nothing more than a Chevy, how would you feel if Ferrari folks looked down their noses at Porsche owners saying that it is only a Porsche. I have owned 2 Ferraris and have many friends that are Ferrari owners and none take that attitude. And as far as the Corvette goes...I have owned 9 and the only problem that I ever had is that my clutch went out at 75000 miles on my 92 Vette. I hope most of you can have the same success with your Porsches that I have had with my Corvettes.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its amazing how much of a variance there is for oil use. My 997.1S uses very little to no oil. Even during break-in the car used very little oil. The car now has 20k miles and I burn through maybe 1 qt. between oil changes (every 6k miles).

As for the OP, sorry you had to have such issues. Otherwise you would have enjoyed the car I am sure.

Dave
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 812 Posts

I'd have to beg to differ:

Old 03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'd have to beg to differ:

Corvette has and always will look trashy to me.

Same old ***** with a different skirt and hiheels.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh...., it's a bit much....., how about this?
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
I appreciate the supportive comments from most of you and am sincerely happy that most have not had the problems that I have experienced. Having a 109K car for less than 4 months (not 5 months as I had a typo in my original post), driving almost 6000 miles (my daily driver) and adding a quart every 500 miles is just not acceptable on a new modern day car. My point is that had I known this I would have not bought the car, but I was never informed by the salesman or GM that Porsche uses a tremendous amount of oil compared to ANY other new car. I did open a case with Porsche North America, went to mediation and arbritration and got nowhere. Porsche North America told me that on page 288 (or 286) of the owners manual it states that 1.6 quarts every 622 miles is acceptable consumption. I informed them that no one, and I mean no one, is given their 300 page owners manual and told to read it prior to signing their paperwork and taking delivery of a car. Their atitude was "too bad". Even when i had problems with my Ferrari's (very few problems) the dealer bent over backwards to be helpful. The Porsche dealer, from the salesman to the GM to the entire service department constantly hid their heads in the sand when it came to the possibility that their super car from Germany could possibly have problems.

As for those few of you who take the posture that a Porsche is a "PORSCHE" and a Corvette is nothing more than a Chevy, how would you feel if Ferrari folks looked down their noses at Porsche owners saying that it is only a Porsche. I have owned 2 Ferraris and have many friends that are Ferrari owners and none take that attitude. And as far as the Corvette goes...I have owned 9 and the only problem that I ever had is that my clutch went out at 75000 miles on my 92 Vette. I hope most of you can have the same success with your Porsches that I have had with my Corvettes.
As I said in my earlier post, I actually sympethize with you a bit here. I've also experienced arrogant behaviour from my local dealer and shrug of shoulder when people complained about their car not functioning as expected.

You definitely have an isolated case, as I haven't lost even a quart in my 997.1 in 9 months! But Porsche should do a better job of customer service to ensure new Porsche owners leave happy.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
But I can't. Almost 5 months ago I traded in an 08 Corvette convertible for a new 2009 911 Carrera S Cabrolet...a $109,000.00 car that hs been one of the worst automotive experiences that I can remember. And, in the last 22 years I have owned (one car at a time) 9 Corvettes, 2 Ferraris, a Nissan 300ZX, a Mini Cooper, a Camero and a Viper. The Porsche and the Viper are neck and neck for worst car honors. But I dumped the Porsche today for a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible, which I will have this week. The Porsche, in 5 months and 5900 miles, burned 9 quarts of oil, and constantly stunk to high heaven of a burning rubber smell. The oil consumption was, according to Porsche, acceptable because Porsche says it's OK to use up to 1.6 quarts every 622 miles! That is completely absurd. GM cars have an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1 quart every 2000 miles. And the burning smell is a result of either cosmoline on the engine and a muffler system mounted in such a way as it heats the tires and picks up every piece of road junk and burns it. Furthermore, the entire audio system went out, the heater does not work properly, and the fuel pump went at 4500 miles. Plus, the performance is quite average and the Corvette Grand Sport is quicker, will out handle the Porsche and sounds like a car should sound. Finally, the fact that the 9 Corvettes that I have owned since 1991 have ALL been completely trouble free. On the other hand, neither the Porsche dealer nor Porsche North America made any attempt to try to solve most of my problems except to replace the fuel pump. They told me the oil consumptiion, the burning smell, and the way the heater works is normal. As for the radio, the dealer would not fix it until they had permission from Porsche North America! Then they said the problem is caused because I have an iphone hooked up to bluetooth! I am convinced that the hype over German engineering is just that....total hype. ( and I have owned a Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW, and the only one that was trouble free was the VW GTI!) So it's good riddens Porsche and hello to my 10th Corvette, and I could not be happier!
It's unfortunate that you had a bad Porsche experience, but with 16 cars "one at a time" in 22 years (not counting the apparent second cars), no vehicle seems to have kept your interest for very long, and the Porsche would probably have been gone in a few more months anyway. Among many other cars, I've owned 4 Porsches over a 25 year span and they were all great; not one used oil excessively and none had any meaningful issues. They were each broken in by the book, and then driven hard. Sounds like you had an unusual situation, based on what I know. Good luck with the Corvette.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told by a shop owner that the manufacturers all allow (what we consider to be) excessively large amounts of oil usage. BMW does it as well. My Volvo dealer handed me a Volvo doc that said .7 qt per 1000 miles is completely acceptable. I have 3 Volvos, one burns 1 qt per 1000, the other two much less.
There are many variables that go into the usage factor. I have had my 05 997 since December and haven't as yet seen any usage.
When I challenged the Volvo dealer on excessive oil usage he said 'I've never rebuilt a Volvo engine for oil use'. Which I assumed he was saying, 'and that includes your car'.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

I'm sure you'd get a better response to a post in a Corvette site saying, "whew Guys I'm back where I always belonged"

Good luck with your new car, sorry to hear you had a bad Porsche experience. With any further luck you might get a better resale value out of your Vette, considering the bailout support.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowside67
What kind of attention whoring post is this? You really expect us to believe that you owned a Camaro and yet cant even spell the name? Weak and obvious trolling effort.

It's-- Can't !!!!!!!!

and I suspect your posting was "tongue in cheek"????

I've also owned several trouble free Corvette cars....

I pray that this Porsche is every
thing I want and thought it to be..but it's using oil like crazy and puking oily exhaust spots all over the garage floor...
I've had it in three times already for the PCM unit and have to take it back again as soon as the snow stops to have it replace again.. they shipped me the unit without the satellite module. I complained to service that I couldn't see where the function was on the replacement PCM and they told me that it wasn't part of the original package... I told them I had no problem with that but I wanted the $750. or whatever the cost of the satellite function was back in a check ASAP.
Of course they had a good excuse for the mix up... The techs wife has been sick for the past five years and that was the reason for the mistake.... I swear to God that's what he told me...

Go ahead and call me a troll....The list on the car was $300. shy of 100K and I'm a little concerned that I'll be spending a lot of time in the service dept. at Porsche...I sure as hell hope I'm wrong - I guess only time will tell...

Last edited by jakes dad; 03-23-2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling / deleted word

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE