Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

f4 plt - it was nice to meet you at PSDS! My 4S DFI has been trouble free for 12,000 miles. No oil added between changes. No unscheduled visits to the dealer except for the logo falling off my ignition key
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
sssinc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience - I think we all have had these experiences with one car or another over the years. I too had a terrible experience quite a long time ago with a new 944 Turbo, however I came back to Porsche last year and also bought a new 2009 911S whch now has 12,000 miles on it and no problems. I had the same oil consumption and smell for the first 5,000 miles approximately then everything settled to normal usage and the smell disapated. I can only assume your experience with your dealer was not good and that says it all, when you spend that much money for a car you certainely don't need the headaches! I can tell you this is the second 911 I have owned and the quality has been certainely as good or better then any car I have had (and I've had most of them), so I would not let your experience completely sour you on the brand - but I certainely do understand being aggravated with the problems.

Best of luck.

Last edited by sssinc; 03-23-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I hope to see the DME report of the car... that probably will explain a lot of things. Wink!
You might be surprised. Mines drank 14 quarts of oil in the last 10,000 miles. They ran all those tests and I am not a heavy foot...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry that you had a bad experience in the Porsche, but lord oh lord, a Chevrolet is your final pick?? weak
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
ljm301
Advanced

Originally Posted by At Law
+1.
+2 - Mine has been a dream since purchase..
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Jakeman
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

--Wish I had an excuse to trade up?!

I would love to see the distributions of defects for 911s and other cars in its class, too. Those 6 Sigma folk know what I'm talking about. Odds are, there are going to be cars that have multiple defects; we're talking >30K 911s per year, right?

My own N of 1 study has been fine. A squeaky spoiler (fixed with lubrication), the recently discovered dreaded spider in the taillight, and the plastic covers on the lower seat pivot points digging into the seats (fixed by the dealer).
Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 AM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
But I can't. Almost 5 months ago I traded in an 08 Corvette convertible for a new 2009 911 Carrera S Cabrolet...a $109,000.00 car that hs been one of the worst automotive experiences that I can remember. And, in the last 22 years I have owned (one car at a time) 9 Corvettes, 2 Ferraris, a Nissan 300ZX, a Mini Cooper, a Camero and a Viper. The Porsche and the Viper are neck and neck for worst car honors. But I dumped the Porsche today for a 2010 Corvette Grand Sport convertible, which I will have this week. The Porsche, in 5 months and 5900 miles, burned 9 quarts of oil, and constantly stunk to high heaven of a burning rubber smell. The oil consumption was, according to Porsche, acceptable because Porsche says it's OK to use up to 1.6 quarts every 622 miles! That is completely absurd. GM cars have an acceptable oil consumption rate of 1 quart every 2000 miles. And the burning smell is a result of either cosmoline on the engine and a muffler system mounted in such a way as it heats the tires and picks up every piece of road junk and burns it. Furthermore, the entire audio system went out, the heater does not work properly, and the fuel pump went at 4500 miles. Plus, the performance is quite average and the Corvette Grand Sport is quicker, will out handle the Porsche and sounds like a car should sound. Finally, the fact that the 9 Corvettes that I have owned since 1991 have ALL been completely trouble free. On the other hand, neither the Porsche dealer nor Porsche North America made any attempt to try to solve most of my problems except to replace the fuel pump. They told me the oil consumptiion, the burning smell, and the way the heater works is normal. As for the radio, the dealer would not fix it until they had permission from Porsche North America! Then they said the problem is caused because I have an iphone hooked up to bluetooth! I am convinced that the hype over German engineering is just that....total hype. ( and I have owned a Mercedes, Audi, BMW and VW, and the only one that was trouble free was the VW GTI!) So it's good riddens Porsche and hello to my 10th Corvette, and I could not be happier!
Wait. What? Your VW GTI was trouble free???
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
CC911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life is short; no time for regrets. Do whatever makes you happy
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Sorry that you had a bad experience in the Porsche, but lord oh lord, a Chevrolet is your final pick?? weak
I'm sure he'll be complaining about the rattling plastic interior
pieces, the creaky body, and the horrible fit and finish of the Porvette
in a couple of months.

At least he'll be able to pick up a few big haired blond, tight jean wearing,
cowboy loving skanks in the process.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

great story bro. please tell it again.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
rvklein
Racer

trouble free was the VW GTI
This right here proves the post is fake!

Regard oil my 997.1 doesn't burn much at all... It's been about 6000 miles since my last service and the meter still reads full.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
great story bro. please tell it again.
Fake or not - it is interesting how some DFI engines do not burn more oil at all compared to old 997.1 cars and some just eat it up like a gas.

Something definitely smells fishy there and dealers do not seem to know what to do about it at all. I just hope they will find a fix for that stuff sooner or later.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Although I agree with most of you about the OP complaint, and that he's probably a Corvette guy to begin with, not belonging much here; the biggest complaint I heard is how Porsche dealer and PCNA has dealt with specific issues on his car (excessive oil consumption).

This is something I have seen locally, and I believe many people have also experienced. Some Porsche dealers are quite arrogant and treat their customers like a bank machine. If you didn't buy your car from the same dealer and you take it for service, you usually get subpar service, and from what I've seen unless you have connections/prior relationship at a dealer they treat you like sh*t. Simiarly PCNA looks for every possible way to deny warranty claims and is not much better than subpar dealers.

I know delaer relationship is critical with any brand, however, I've felt Porsche dealers are the worst of the bunch when it comes to customer service if you're not going to just drop off the keys and sign a check! I remember when I asked my dealer WHY Oil change is $600, he looked at me like I don't deserve to own a 100K car, and said "because Porsche oil service costs this much"!

So, to be fair, Porsche has to take some blame on how they deal with their customers, specially the new ones. Most expect a $100K service from a $100K car company!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Yup, a car that has significantly more power and a HUGE amount more torque, better grip, and equally good looks at half the price is weak.

We all love Porsches, but lets not be so blind to the fact that the performance per dollar is not terribly strong. We put up with some stuff that american car owners would be appalled at, just like Ferrari owners put up with some stuff that porsche guys laugh at.

He had a lemon. It happens. Don't think that porsche is exempt from that.

oh, and Porsche should be absolutely ASHAMED at their oil burning standards. 1.6 quarts in 622 miles is about 1 quart per tank of gas. Most 300,000 mile chevys don't burn that much oil.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I do my 300-400 mile sunny day drives on the weekend, I see maybe 12-15 Corvettes. But only 1 or 2 other Porsches. I like it that way. A little more exclusive, rare, less common.

Good luck with your new car, RonnieTheC!

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE