Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ha....funny thread. I'm just sayin'....porsche and Vette are opposite ends of the spectrum, and I find it hard that someone that likes vettes would want a porsche and vice versa. yes, porsche's are a pain in the **** sometimes, but if you like them all the same, with and without their problems, you likely would not even consider a vette. For me, Vette's certainly look amazing on the exterior....they've done a great job with the styling. However, all I need to do is open the door and look inside...or better yet, sit in their "rocking chair of a seat" and I walk away.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 591 Posts

Your oil usage sounds excessive. I have almost 3000 miles on my 2009 and have not added any? You must have had a lemon (bad luck). My 2004 40th anni also did not use much oil.

I think Corvettes look OK - but I have have no desire to have one - except maybe a Z06. The Porsche just does something for me - cant explain it. On my 4th one now. The 997.2 S may not quite have the same power as the Grandsport but mine is quick enough for me. I think the 385 HP is conservative and its 0-60 and quarter mile times are strong. When a ZR1 and GT2 were compared, there was alomost 100HP difference and yet they performed almost identically. Porsche gets a lot out of their HP and they handle beautifully.

Good luck with your new vette.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Corvette has and always will look trashy to me.

Same old ***** with a different skirt and hiheels.
And a 911 is a beatle with some different body panels. We can play this game all day.

Originally Posted by LlBr
Eh...., it's a bit much....., how about this?
I like both so you're preaching to the choir. Some people prefer the understated 911 look, others prefer the more aggressive vette look.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Ronnie,

It sounds like you simply got a bad apple. Always some in every make and model. Porsche just shot to the top of JD Power's dependabilty ranks for models from 07' to date. http://www.cnbc.com/id/35917078
Chevy did not even make the top 6.
As far as the reference to what a car is supposed to sound like, that is lame. First off, you can't compare the sound of an 8 to a 6 and the Porsche has it's own unmistakable signature sound. You could confuse a Vette sound w/ other 8s out there. I have been in many vettes as recent as a 750hp heavily modified one and feel they are gaudy and poorly made and are not even close to the league of a 911, but to each his own.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'd have to beg to differ:

I definitely like the black one with tinted windows the best.
I mean you can't see the late 50's dude behind the wheel with a mustache, mullet, and Yosemite Sam faux leather jacket.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Project 951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It's all for the best. The OP might have had bad luck but what he wanted all along was a Vette.
+1

this article by MT might sum the situation up best http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...rsy/index.html
Old 03-23-2010, 03:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Guys... as much as the OP is a Vette lover, and I agree that you're either a Porsche or Corvette guy, we should also look at the bigger picture.

He's a potential long-term Porsche owner who's been turned off the brand, mostly due to POOR DEALER customer service! Any car has the potential to have issues, and the way those issues are addressed makes one happy/unhappy about a car. Look at Toyota, with all of the bad press, over-hyped acceleration problem, they treat their customers incredibly well, hence not as big of a drop in their sales as one might have expected!

Look at Feb. sale numbers, dismal! I think Porsche should really pay attention to their dealer network and how they treat customers, not to lose potential long-term owners. I've had a few encounters with my local dealer and if it wasn't for my love of German cars and Porsche, I WOULD HAVE NEVER bought a car from them (which I didn't... bought from a private dealer).
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I think Porsche should really pay attention to their dealer network and how they treat customers, not to lose potential long-term owners.
+1
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Project 951
Instructor

And from Automobile Magazine..

A rivalry played out on Instant Messenger

Jason_Cammisa: Hey Ez, I heard you prefer the Vette? Not surprised . . . I talked to your wife a few months back, and a couple of things she said proved what I've thought all along about guys who like Corvettes.

Ezra_Dyer: Next you'll be making insinuations about the anatomical implications of my monster truck. Besides, when it comes to overcompensation, I think the 911 and the Corvette are pretty much even. Except that the 911 is aimed at people who want to spend twice the money for less performance, because that's how much they hate America.

Jason_Cammisa: LOL. Right, that's it: I'm a communist because I like engineering over brute force. Funny you brought up your monster truck - doesn't it have a pushrod engine and a leaf-spring suspension, just like the Corvette? My lawn mower has an overhead cam, and it'll probably have direct injection before a Corvette does.

Ezra_Dyer: And if your lawn mower had the 911's weight distribution, you wouldn't have any toes. You depict the Corvette as this looming, crude ogre, but those leaf springs can be dampened by the same Magnetic Selective Ride Control system used by the Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano. Unlike Porsche, Chevrolet sticks with certain technologies not out of nostalgia but because they actually work.

Jason_Cammisa: Oh, please, that suspension is straight out of Fred Flintstone's ride. I think you've gotten high off the fumes from the Fisher-Price plastics inside the Vette: it's Chevy that sticks with old tech out of nostalgia. *cough* heavy fiberglass bodywork *cough*

Ezra_Dyer: Sorry, what were you saying? I was just looking at the Porsche Web site and wondering if $1010 is a fair price for "air vent slats painted in exterior color." If I were to spend six figures on a Vette, I'd have to look at boring unpainted vent slats while I was lapping the Nürburgring faster than any production Porsche ever. In any case, I think the price-versus-performance disparity makes this less of a true rivalry than a philosophical discussion - if we had, say, seventy grand, obviously I'd get a Z06, you'd get a 911, and everyone with a Nissan GT-R would wonder what either of us was thinking.

Jason_Cammisa: Ha. Let's not even go there . . .
Old 03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
tejoe
Advanced

"GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE "

To RonnieC:

I think you meant 'GOODBYE' , but regardless, unlike some of the other posters I fully understand what you are saying after you took the $40,000 hit to get rid of the Porsche. I too went through this with a 2005 M3; I had a friendly service guy but they could not get the problems fixed (he admitted this) and most frustrating the management/owner (Indianapolis) and area rep both made only the most cursory attempt to rectify the situation. After 9 months I traded it for an 05 vette, which still runs fine.

From here our stories diverge. First, I've thought for years that a vette is the best quasi sports car for the money: not a "real" sports car, but capable of anything that 99.5% of us can handle. Second, my wife drove a used BMW for 3 years (07-09) with no problems and loved it; of course we NEVER had it serviced at the BMW dealership. Third, my C2S has been a joy, not perfect, but truly fun.

My bottom line: the 2010 vette base car is a great buy at less than 50 grand, the Z06 is really good for 75k and the ZR1 at $105+ is superlative. I truly feel badly that your P-car was a lemon and that you were treated so poorly by your dealer (which very unfortunately is an all too common report from many owners). However, just as we picked up a decent used Bimmer 545, perhaps someday you will again think that Porsche is a hell of a car.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

to the OP, no comment except that the customer service you got from Porsche was **** poor. Thats unacceptable for such a "premium" brand.

Project 95, that is SUPERB!

Tejoe, you are a gentleman.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a lot of money to get wrapped up into something that doesn't work properly - I'd be hating life if my car did that to me. Bottom line though is that sort of bad luck can happen with any product - and forums are where you tend to hear the worst side of things. I have had 24 years of BMWs - all were very good cars - a few of them great cars. 2 Lexus SUVs have been good to us, and my 911 is a dream car - a bit oil thirsty, but I reckon that's just how they run - seems to not be an issue with it other than needing to keep a few spare quarts in the frunk. The driving pleasure outweighs it all for me though - after 10mos, it just gets better each time I drive it.

I think you had some bad luck and a lack of dealer support - and that's too bad. For a car like this, one needs to feel that the quality is concept, engineering, sales, and ownership - end to end superlative. Somewhere for you there was a disconnect and that's a shame.

I hope your new Vette makes you happy and works well.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil consumption as previously stated is bothersome, however the cosmoline smell is like a fine wine and adds character to the car... sometimes at the end of the day I peek in the garage, and actually enjoy that burnt cosmoline smell as it reminds me I got to drive my 911 earlier in the day!

Best of luck with your new car.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by cole328
ha....funny thread. I'm just sayin'....porsche and Vette are opposite ends of the spectrum, and I find it hard that someone that likes vettes would want a porsche and vice versa. yes, porsche's are a pain in the **** sometimes, but if you like them all the same, with and without their problems, you likely would not even consider a vette. For me, Vette's certainly look amazing on the exterior....they've done a great job with the styling. However, all I need to do is open the door and look inside...or better yet, sit in their "rocking chair of a seat" and I walk away.
honestly, the interior of a c2 911 without full leather is kinda bland in comparison to the Audi mid engine...
Old 03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my first Porsche would have been anything like the OP stated I would not be looking at another Pcar.
For any car that cost anywhere near the cost of a 911 the car should have been made right. If I owned that dealership it would be right or I would make right or buy the car back simple where is the integrity of the dealer.

I know in my rinky dink business I have made things right many times enough to keep the reputation intact. IMHO

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE