Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Because we hate Corvettes and their drivers.
grow up kid.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering...how wide is your white belt?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my 2007 is losing it's cosmolene perfume, does anyone know how I can get it back?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
I am a bit slow, and yes it seems to be high consumption, but let me get this right, you say "adding a quart every 500 miles is just not acceptable on a new modern day car. My point is that had I known this I would have not bought the car, but I was never informed by the salesman or GM that Porsche uses a tremendous amount of oil compared to ANY other new car."

You have to be seriously kidding me. If you had know this you would not have bought the car?

Did you know that you need to do an engine out service in most Ferrari's every 7 - 10k miles. Did that stop you buying a Ferrari. Did you end up in arbitration/mediation with Ferrari North America over that?

Oil consumption seems high here, agree, but just surprised that it was such a serious issue that questioned your very buying proposition to begin with...

No, I am not kidding you. Had I known that I would be purchasing a new $108,000.00 car that needed a quart of oil every 500 miles, I would have politely declined. As far as my 2 Ferrari's go, neither the 360 Spider nor the F430 Spider requires engine out services. That ended with the 355 in 2000.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Yup....

.... friggen feeding frenzy around here anytime someone dares to defy the all might Porsche..... 7+ and running pages of which near half content is vette bashing? Move on folks....

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Who are we preaching to? The OP left this thread a while back.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:34 PM
V.A.G.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by raspritz
To the OP, it is unfortunate that you had a poor car and a poor dealer. Both are unacceptable in such an expensive car. My experiences have been quite the opposite; zero oil usage in just under 4000 miles, a total blast, and great dealer support thus far (though I haven't actually needed much).

I do agree that there seem to be Porsche owners and 'Vette owners, much like there are Democrats and Republicans.

I wish you great success and enjoyment with your new 'Vette.
x2
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I gotta say this... I have owned a few Porsches as well as several other sports car brands. I bought my latest Porsche just two months ago after a three-year hiatus. I felt the itch to get back again. So, I'd have to say I'm in the Porsche camp but have not consumed so much of the coolaid that I'm blind to when Porsche does badly.

You follow Porsche over the years and they make cool cars. The 911 specifically is iconic, it does well in racing, everyone recognizes it and most think think that everyone who drives one is rich (even if their P-car is an old beater). Many also think owners are automatically jerks and have small "appendages" for which they are trying to compensate :-). Those of us who own Porsches know they have certain endearing characteristics we all like that no other brand offers.

That doesn't eliminate the fact that Porsche engineering screws up inexplicably and grossly in almost every series produced. I find this amazing and frustrating. I shouldn't have to worry that my IMS will fail and my engine will self destruct or that I will use a rediculous amount of oil. 993 owners, of which I was one, shouldn't have to worry about their motors having to have top end rebuilds. The forums are rampant with the fixes for the major flaws in every series of Porsche cars.

That isn't to say that other brands don't have their moments too, but as an enthusiast who appreciates all sports cars and has owned at least a couple examples of most brands (but not a Corvette, yet), I can understand how one can be annoyed and frustrated when this stuff happens with modern, brand new cars, especially as prices approach and exceed $100k. It doesn't surprise me that much since Porsche engineering always screws something up royally but those newer to Porsche expect the marketing hype to be true.

So get off the guy's case. He has a point. And it's pretty arrogant of us to put down Vettes all the time. They aren't bad cars, have a long history, and a bunch of real enthusiasts who own them, many who are fantastic people. With every sports car brand I have owned I have met great people, great enthusiasts. The world is better for it.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonnieTheC
No, I am not kidding you. Had I known that I would be purchasing a new $108,000.00 car that needed a quart of oil every 500 miles, I would have politely declined. As far as my 2 Ferrari's go, neither the 360 Spider nor the F430 Spider requires engine out services. That ended with the 355 in 2000.
I wholehearlty agree. But the hit to switch out now for myself is too great...

What i have learned about Porsche is its not a BMW. its not as reliable, and its definitely not as smooth. But with those two tradeoffs, i also have a spunky car that is fast as hell, likes to burn oil like theres no tomorrow, and gets lots of looks. And its fun to drive.

I guess I came to the realization you can't have everythign in life. BMW's m3 wouldn't have been as brash. But i am learning the 911 is an aquired taste. I alsmot sold the car 6 months into the problems. But i have learned to accept the faults and try and see the positives. believe me, its not easy some days, but on that day when the stars align, this is a beast of a car. A true sports car.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jastx
I gotta say this... I have owned a few Porsches as well as several other sports car brands. I bought my latest Porsche just two months ago after a three-year hiatus. I felt the itch to get back again. So, I'd have to say I'm in the Porsche camp but have not consumed so much of the coolaid that I'm blind to when Porsche does badly.

You follow Porsche over the years and they make cool cars. The 911 specifically is iconic, it does well in racing, everyone recognizes it and most think think that everyone who drives one is rich (even if their P-car is an old beater). Many also think owners are automatically jerks and have small "appendages" for which they are trying to compensate :-). Those of us who own Porsches know they have certain endearing characteristics we all like that no other brand offers.

That doesn't eliminate the fact that Porsche engineering screws up inexplicably and grossly in almost every series produced. I find this amazing and frustrating. I shouldn't have to worry that my IMS will fail and my engine will self destruct or that I will use a rediculous amount of oil. 993 owners, of which I was one, shouldn't have to worry about their motors having to have top end rebuilds. The forums are rampant with the fixes for the major flaws in every series of Porsche cars.

That isn't to say that other brands don't have their moments too, but as an enthusiast who appreciates all sports cars and has owned at least a couple examples of most brands (but not a Corvette, yet), I can understand how one can be annoyed and frustrated when this stuff happens with modern, brand new cars, especially as prices approach and exceed $100k. It doesn't surprise me that much since Porsche engineering always screws something up royally but those newer to Porsche expect the marketing hype to be true.

So get off the guy's case. He has a point. And it's pretty arrogant of us to put down Vettes all the time. They aren't bad cars, have a long history, and a bunch of real enthusiasts who own them, many who are fantastic people. With every sports car brand I have owned I have met great people, great enthusiasts. The world is better for it.
really good post and I'm the same way. If corvettes had engines that could self destruct at almost any mileage with very little warning, owners would have GM engineers roasting on spits. The things we put up with sometimes...
Old 03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
really good post and I'm the same way. If corvettes had engines that could self destruct at almost any mileage with very little warning, owners would have GM engineers roasting on spits. The things we put up with sometimes...
I don't believe there is, or ever has been, an engine manufactured
that couldn't theoretically "self destruct" at any mileage.

If anything has two moving parts, eventually, you will have a failure.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx

I have to chime in and comment that nearly ALL production vehicles have their inherent engineering flaws. Cavaliers have control arm bushings that fail every 40,000 mi. Audi's have ABS issues certain years. Many Japanese cars have cages that cover their brake/fuel lines that run under the car and collect salt that result in complete rebuild of the lines. Etc, etc.

I think the Porsche sees engine issues more than anything else because they are typically run harder in this department. I also think that since it's a much smaller community than many other manufacturers that some of the issues are over exaggerated. If you think that any high end manufacturer is without flaw you're off your rocker.

Take the good with the bad and buy the car that gets your crank turning. I strongly believe that one should only spend the kind of money we do on a vehicle if you are truly excited by the car otherwise you'll quickly because annoyed with it's flaws.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by At Law
I don't believe there is, or ever has been, an engine manufactured
that couldn't theoretically "self destruct" at any mileage.

If anything has two moving parts, eventually, you will have a failure.
awesome. However, failure rates of typical engine bearings, wrist pins, cranks, pistons, rods, valves, valve guides, etc etc are pretty well established. Very rarely do these experience unexpected catastrophic failure. If this does occur, its usually the result of improper assembly, bad maintenance or some sort of FOD.

The IMS bearing is simply an engineering/part selection failure.

For example, when a rash of the early 2001 Corvette Z06s experienced signs of excessive oil burning, GM either replaced the engines or replaced the rings. Andy they weren't burning anywhere near 1.6 quarts/650 miles
Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Wow!!! That's a pretty big leap....

Credibility is based on posting count????? He lacks credibility because he's owned several cars?????

I was hoping for a more civilized forum but I guess they're all the same...
Yeah, because if I was going to buy a product from a new brand/line that I'd not owned before, I'd do some research on the issue before hand, and if I had problems, I'd see what the user community had to say. Having such a low post count is indicitive to me that the OP did not do his pre-purchase research, nor look into the user community much about what may have been a lemon.

Its not several cars, he either has a HUGE stable or he owned each car for just under 2 years. Neither of which indicates he really into ownership of the cars, but rather the desire to drive something new and flashy every year or two.

Both indicate to me he may not understand the issues at hand with his car. So I'm not overly concerned about his experience.

It would also help if he didn't start his post BY YELLING AT EVERY SINGLE READER IN THE FORUM!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:31 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Oil wise, in my first 1,800 miles, my "digital" dip stick reads only 1 mark or light below 100% full and this is during break-in! So knock on wood, it doesnt seem to be a burner. The Vette and Porsche are in different leagues and if you love one you dont like the other. A vette is a typical smash mouth american muscle car. I was actually a mustang guy and a highly factoru modified one. I just sold my Roush P51 mustang that came w/ 540 hp and 540 tq out of the box, a completely worked suspension, breaks, etc, etc from the Roush NASACAR team. It's simply a different animal and as soon as I bought the 911, I dumped it like a bad habit. It became crude to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche 911 have over 500 precision welds on their 18 gauge, cathodic primed, steel body with McPherson strut and coil over damper multilink steel and aluminum suspension.

Corvettes are plastic sheet molded compound bodies with plastic leaf spring suspension.

Should we go on?

Corvette Z06? Very Fast car.

Casio G-Shock Waveceptor? Very Accurate watch.

Get the picture?

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE