Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh , same thing for a freinds' Z06 - self destructed engine at 155 mph.
Give & take, ying & yang potato po- they all have issues....
Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
I wholehearlty agree. But the hit to switch out now for myself is too great...

What i have learned about Porsche is its not a BMW. its not as reliable, and its definitely not as smooth. But with those two tradeoffs, i also have a spunky car that is fast as hell, likes to burn oil like theres no tomorrow, and gets lots of looks. And its fun to drive.

I guess I came to the realization you can't have everythign in life. BMW's m3 wouldn't have been as brash. But i am learning the 911 is an aquired taste. I alsmot sold the car 6 months into the problems. But i have learned to accept the faults and try and see the positives. believe me, its not easy some days, but on that day when the stars align, this is a beast of a car. A true sports car.
It's different for different people - I had driven nothing but BMWs for the last 24 years - and I really enjoyed most of them...and a few I loved. My biggest worry when buying this car - or any car not a BMW - was buyer's remorse; like oh no, what have I done when I wake up in the morning and look in my garage.

There was no acquired taste, or if there was, I had acquired it ages ago and had simply failed to satisfy it. Smooth - no - thank God, reliable - apparently the '07s are, hope mine is too. I sometimes miss the BMW trunk and the Logic7 - that's it - OK, maybe the Roundel too - that's a cool badge. When I look in the garage...I am only embarrassed because I still do it too often and for no good reason.

Speaking of spelling errors - and I'm a crap typist and not an ace speller either (acquired has a c and a q - who knew?) - there's that Google Toolbar with the "ABC Check"...and it burns no oil and does not soot up my keyboard.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM
jk335
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
It's different for different people - I had driven nothing but BMWs for the last 24 years - and I really enjoyed most of them...and a few I loved. My biggest worry when buying this car - or any car not a BMW - was buyer's remorse; like oh no, what have I done when I wake up in the morning and look in my garage.

There was no acquired taste, or if there was, I had acquired it ages ago and had simply failed to satisfy it. Smooth - no - thank God, reliable - apparently the '07s are, hope mine is too. I sometimes miss the BMW trunk and the Logic7 - that's it - OK, maybe the Roundel too - that's a cool badge. When I look in the garage...I am only embarrassed because I still do it too often and for no good reason.

Speaking of spelling errors - and I'm a crap typist and not an ace speller either (acquired has a c and a q - who knew?) - there's that Google Toolbar with the "ABC Check"...and it burns no oil and does not soot up my keyboard.
I think many people will find faults with a lot of cars. Luckily you do not have the oil burning issue. After fighting with corp, and realizing its like fighting city hall, I think the OP felt like he had no other choice than to trade. I felt at one point like doign the same thing. Instead I am trying to make the best of it.

Porsche is a great, fast car. But I still feel the real innovations in cars are happening at other car makes. Thing I liked about the 911 is it was mostly old school. With the exception of PDK, and the interface, you are basically driving a car thats been around for years!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Porsche 911 have over 500 precision welds on their 18 gauge, cathodic primed, steel body with McPherson strut and coil over damper multilink steel and aluminum suspension.

Corvettes are plastic sheet molded compound bodies with plastic leaf spring suspension.

Should we go on?

Corvette Z06? Very Fast car.

Casio G-Shock Waveceptor? Very Accurate watch.

Get the picture?
OOOOO, not 500 welds!!!! With precision even!!!!

A base corvette costs less than HALF as much of a base 997. It delivers significantly higher performance in almost every category. Of course its going to be cheaper in certain areas.

However, considering we are talking about what are, or at least used to be, pure sports cars, its hard to argue with a corvette.

Your watch analogy is a good one. A casio G-shock will be more accurate than even a $300,000 Patek Phillipe, will last as long, will need fewer repairs, and has far more functionality. Most people who buy high end cars or watches realize that a large part of why you buy it is the name, the prestige, and the "jewelry" aspect to it.

A base corvette is a higher performing car than even a Carrera S. You can prefer the 911, but to talk trash about a corvette is entirely foolish.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
OOOOO, not 500 welds!!!! With precision even!!!!

A base corvette costs less than HALF as much of a base 997. It delivers significantly higher performance in almost every category. Of course its going to be cheaper in certain areas.

However, considering we are talking about what are, or at least used to be, pure sports cars, its hard to argue with a corvette.

Your watch analogy is a good one. A casio G-shock will be more accurate than even a $300,000 Patek Phillipe, will last as long, will need fewer repairs, and has far more functionality. Most people who buy high end cars or watches realize that a large part of why you buy it is the name, the prestige, and the "jewelry" aspect to it.

A base corvette is a higher performing car than even a Carrera S. You can prefer the 911, but to talk trash about a corvette is entirely foolish.
Quadcammer. You got it right. These kind of threads do not bring out the best in our community of car enthusiasts. Shame on me but I like both Vettes and Porsches.

Mark
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

To the OP :

I feel your pain and there is no doubt if I bought a $ 109k car and it burned a quart of oil every 500 miles that I would also get rid of it and never buy that brand again. I walked into 10 offices at my firm and asked 10 different people who drive high end cars and each one said they would do the same thing.

Enough said.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
These kind of threads do not bring out the best in our community of car enthusiasts.
Almost embarrassing isn't it?

Ronnie, good luck with the new 'vette.

I hear ya. Oil consumption like you've been seeing would spoil the ownership experience for me too. That damn car is thirsty.

Some poor guy is gonna buy that car CPO and then HIS Porsche dream is going to start crumbling.

Maybe the only humane thing to do is to total that bitch and put out of all our misery.

Phil
Old 03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Quadcammer. You got it right. These kind of threads do not bring out the best in our community of car enthusiasts. Shame on me but I like both Vettes and Porsches.

Mark
no shame. I'm thinking about getting a z06 and modding it for the track.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM
lig
Racer

I'm thinking that in a few years a used C6 GS or Z06 would be a really good track ****. I like that car (if I can say that without having my Porsche ownership revoked )
Old 03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

I vote let the post die. sorry about your P-car bad luck, good luck on the Vette.

have a great summer, that's it. done.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No comment necessary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO56-smgxI
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Bottom line is that all cars can and will have problems. Case in point, my buddy bought his wife a BMW 335i, less than a year old now and the paint is peeing off the hood and roof like the old Chrysler K cars. They have had a multitude of electronic glitches, car won't start, windows won't roll back up, etc. They are very disappointed. I don't think all BMW's are bad though.

I had a couple of C5 Z06 vettes too. Awesome cars, lot' of fun, but I'll never forget showing off my 405 hp 03 engine to a die hard Euro car friend. Had the hood up showing him my recently detailed engine, when out of nowhere, a screw came loose and tinked, tinkled, tinked all the way down to the garage floor. I was so embarassed. He didn't say a word but I've never forgotten the smug look on his face. That was my last vette. I don't think all vettes are bad though.

I'm on my 3rd Porsche now, a Cayman S, Carrera S, and now a 10 GT3. Nary a problem, never used any oil in any of them either. If it's luck I'll take it, but I think there is something else going on. Consistent quality across 3 models/model years. I don't think that all Porsches are perfect though.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chopperzz
I vote let the post die. sorry about your P-car bad luck, good luck on the Vette.

have a great summer, that's it. done.
I agree.... I've got one of the cars in question and I assume that if it's a problem then Porsche will do the right thing and life will go on...
I waited a long time for this car and I'm getting getting physically ill following this thread....
Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....i also have a 2009 C2S cab, and have experienced the high oil consumption, burning smell, HPFP failure, and PDK control module replacement. Still happy with it, though. Something about it made me put up with its faults.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Bottom line is that all cars can and will have problems. Case in point, my buddy bought his wife a BMW 335i, less than a year old now and the paint is peeing off the hood and roof like the old Chrysler K cars. They have had a multitude of electronic glitches, car won't start, windows won't roll back up, etc. They are very disappointed. I don't think all BMW's are bad though.
From the described symptoms, it sounds every bit like this car has been or is being exposed to some adverse environmental conditions, either now in ownership, during the build, or during transit/life between factory and you. All of those symptoms could be explained by environmental contaminants attacking the electrical wiring and paint surfaces. You don't live downwind of a chemical plant do you?

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE