Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009 | 06:19 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Default 1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)

So I was out of town, about 2 hrs away, this weekend for a 24hr-shift for work. I worked until 3p yesterday and took the car out for a nice drive for a good hour and 45min. It was such a beautiful day and since I don't really have a chance to really exploit the full potential of the car in the city, I took advantage of rural country roads.

Anyway, I got into the driver's seat around 6:30 am this morning, the ambient temp was at around 31 F and I was ready for another nice 2 hr drive back home, in time for my daughter's 1st birthday party. I turned the key, but didn't hear the usual morning roar from the back. I tried it again. Nothing. I fiddled with the PDK, nothing. I disconnected the iPod, tried to turn the PCM off, still nothing. Everything worked in the car, but the car just wouldn't start. Not even a click.

I called Porsche roadside assistance and they sent me a guy who was more excited about my car than trying to help start my car. He tried to jump it, but it failed. While on the phone with roadside assistance again, he tells me that he has a State Police call, and took off. So great, now I was stuck in the parking lot of the hotel on a early Sunday morning in the country. I told RS assistance that the jump failed, so they sent another tow company out to put the car on the flatbed to have it transported to the closest Porsche dealer, which is 89 mi away, and 60 mi away from my house.

To make the long story short, I was lucky to have a friend who was on-call with me and took me to the dinky airport to rent a car. I took the Mazda 3 home and made it just in time for the baby's party. Hew!

So what do you guys think is wrong with the car?????
Old 03-22-2009 | 06:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Hi Jack,
Sorry to hear about your woes but glad you made it to your daughter's party.
Was there any juice coming from the battery? Did the RSA guy jump directly to the battery? My mom's targa had the battery run down and for the life of me I could not get it to jump start using current from my 986. Is it possible you left the lights on or something that drained the battery?
Old 03-22-2009 | 07:20 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Dave,

I'm glad that I made it to the party in time too.

There was no juice coming from the battery. It was pretty dry. I turn everything off and I make sure that I do before I lock the car. The only thing I can think of is the iPod. But the iPod has been left connected to the Universal Audio Interface adaptor since I got the car, and nothing has happened until today.

Everything was in working order, i.e. the radio, the sunroof, the spoiler, the lights, that's why I don't think is the battery. We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2009 | 07:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

If the engine was turning... it could be a fuel pump problem. There is a service bulletin on that - or if the dealers did not get it, they will soon - fuel pump part to be changed.
Old 03-22-2009 | 07:22 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
If the engine was turning... it could be a fuel pump problem. There is a service bulletin on that - or if the dealers did not get it, they will soon - fuel pump part to be changed.
Nada. Not even a click. Not even a turn.
Old 03-22-2009 | 08:55 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

It sounds like a completely dead battery. If your car was sitting in a showroom (your avatar?) and the dealer did not disconnect the battery while it was sitting on the floor. After who knows how many times people left the door open or lights on overnight... It is very possible the battery was over drained and damaged the cell(s). Insist your dealer getting you a brand new battery and not recharge it again.

As far as the first tow truck, maybe he could have recharge it longer and get it started. Or maybe the battery was on its last leg already. Who knows but doesn't matter anymore.

Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2009 | 09:01 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by wilfred
It sounds like a completely dead battery. If your car was sitting in a showroom (your avatar?) and the dealer did not disconnect the battery while it was sitting on the floor. After who knows how many times people left the door open or lights on overnight... It is very possible the battery was over drained and damaged the cell(s). Insist your dealer getting you a brand new battery and not recharge it again.

As far as the first tow truck, maybe he could have recharge it longer and get it started. Or maybe the battery was on its last leg already. Who knows but doesn't matter anymore.

Good Luck!
It's really weird that all of sudden it just died. The car ran flawlessly yesterday. I hope it's only a dead battery.
Old 03-22-2009 | 09:23 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

9 out of 10 times battery does not give warning, it just kaput. Even when it does give hints (slow starts), most people won't notice it until few days later... when it kaput. Do let us know what the dealer tells you tomorrow. But like I said, I think its just a dead battery. Btw, it is not just a Porsche thing, many modern cars battery don't last as long as they used to, 2-3 years max. Because there are so many more electronics and computers on cars now but the battery hasn't change much for decades. I remember the old days a battery can easily last 4-5 years!
Old 03-22-2009 | 10:06 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

It does sound like a battery issue. A new battery should fix the issue. The dealer should do a battery draw test to see if something is draining the battery. I had a dead battery issue on my Vette until it was fixed with a reflash of software for the BCM (Body control module).

Sorry for the pain you had. I am sure Chris will stand up to the issue and make it worth your while.
Old 03-23-2009 | 01:05 AM
nyca
Drifting

He tried to jump start the car and the starter still didn't turn, or even click? I don't see how it could be the battery then, it sounds like the security programming in the key is messed up.
Old 03-23-2009 | 03:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

One of the first things I do is to put a multimeter on the car to check voltage of the battery. These cars are battery hogs and if you have a marginally performing battery it will not handle the load.

If jump-starting it you should have gotten something out of it. If the starter did not even crank than I would investigate the heavy gauge wiring harness to the starter. There have been some TSBs on the starter harness but I assumed that those issues would have been sorted out by the PDK cars (MY09).

How many days was it since you last drove the car?
Old 03-23-2009 | 09:16 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Edgy01

He said "yesterday... took the car out for a nice drive for a good hour and 45min." and had the problem at "6:30 am this morning."
Old 03-23-2009 | 09:50 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jack,
Sorry about the car - doesn't sound like the battery - maybe a netural switch. I haven't heard of this with PDK, but it's not so uncommon with auto tranny's. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2009 | 10:29 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
One of the first things I do is to put a multimeter on the car to check voltage of the battery. These cars are battery hogs and if you have a marginally performing battery it will not handle the load.

If jump-starting it you should have gotten something out of it. If the starter did not even crank than I would investigate the heavy gauge wiring harness to the starter. There have been some TSBs on the starter harness but I assumed that those issues would have been sorted out by the PDK cars (MY09).

The car was driven the day before for an hour and 45 min, and it was driven everyday before all of this happened.
Old 03-23-2009 | 10:41 AM
jlinmd
Racer

Update...

The dealer called this morning at 8 and asked, "Sir, can you tell me exactly what happened?" I told him the story and then he says, "I just went out there and started the car." WTH???????????? Of all days, it had to happen on my baby's first birthday. So far the differential diagnosis... 1. bad connection somewhere, 2. neutral switch, 3. Key programming, 4. I'm an idiot

Answer to the mystery shall be revealed later today...Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: 1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)