Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Let's see if this is a PDK issue. I've indeed heard about a few niggles like this in the PDK that totally disable the car. This does not give me a lot of confidence to take a car like this into the open road hundreds of miles away from a knowledgeable Porsche dealer.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Car's back in the shop. We'll wait and see what comes of it...

Stay tuned...

Now back to regular programming, "Days of Our Lives, with Porsches"
You have me really worried now... I just cracked 1,000 miles today on a 186-mile roundtrip for work, and I'm planning on driving cross-country in August to attend the Monterey Historics.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 PM
PT Doc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far the differential diagnosis...
At least someone is thinking.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Gee...if I was 5 days into trying to get an issue like this resolved on a new $90K....I would be off the wall....I would have thought that Porsche would be have all over your problem and have solved it or at least provide and interesting, perhaps believable, maybe even true story...it would be very scary if this is a problem....since they car was likely introduced in Europe some time ago....and they should have nailed this issue....
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by hikejohn
Gee...if I was 5 days into trying to get an issue like this resolved on a new $90K....I would be off the wall....I would have thought that Porsche would be have all over your problem and have solved it or at least provide and interesting, perhaps believable, maybe even true story...it would be very scary if this is a problem....since they car was likely introduced in Europe some time ago....and they should have nailed this issue....
It is frustrating not being able to drive my first new P-car. I wish they have some answers, but they don't. The first dealer ran some diagnostic tests and found no fault codes. They started the car right up first thing in the morning, and I drove it home.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
You have me really worried now... I just cracked 1,000 miles today on a 186-mile roundtrip for work, and I'm planning on driving cross-country in August to attend the Monterey Historics.
Chris,

I'm just unlucky. I don't think other PDK owners have had similar problems. You drive 186mi RT for work?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I agree with you. I know from good source that there are flash updates for PDK. There's also a service bulletin re the high pressure fuel pump, which it can fail suddenly, totally disabling the car. These fixes have already been incorporated in the current production. The US dealers should have them by now, but I'm told they don't...

We do not know if this is a PDK fault... but it surely sounds like it as it is similar to failure reports I read from European PDK owners. Indeed it does not instill much confidence.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:18 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

Whatever the problem....Porsche should have made sure that a new owner of a new model was "taken care"....particularly if they were aware that folks here were chatting about it...reminds me when I had a new 308GT4...I noticed it ran rough....Ferrari was on it...it was some of the charcoal fuel recyling canisters broke up...they knew about, they acknowledged the problem...gave me a 308 loaner...while they replaced the canister and cleaned and reset to factory spec the down draft webbers which never had to be touched again in about 90K miles of driving....both the dealer and the factory office in PA made sure they knew about the problem, seemed to care and took care of it...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Whatever the problem....Porsche should have made sure that a new owner of a new model was "taken care"....particularly if they were aware that folks here were chatting about it...reminds me when I had a new 308GT4...I noticed it ran rough....Ferrari was on it...it was some of the charcoal fuel recyling canisters broke up...they knew about, they acknowledged the problem...gave me a 308 loaner...while they replaced the canister and cleaned and reset to factory spec the down draft webbers which never had to be touched again in about 90K miles of driving....both the dealer and the factory office in PA made sure they knew about the problem, seemed to care and took care of it...
I fully agree with you. These issues should raise alarm bells and PCNA should bend their backs backward to address it and reassure the market. I can tell you that I am having second thoughts about ordering PDK.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Probably some software issue with the PDK. Some BMW M3 owners have had software issues with the old SMG transmissions in the e46 M3, and now in the new DCT 7 speed double clutch transmission in the new V8 M3. BMW has already had at least one software update, and I think another one is on the way. Seems like there are not many hardware issues, just annoying software glitches.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Update...

So the car didn't start at the dealership....good! At least they know that it doesn't start and it's documented. They couldn't find the root of the problem, so they're contacting Porsche. I already know what the answer they're gonna get. "nope, haven't heard of such problem." If PCNA can't solve the problem, then they're going to contact Porsche International? Maybe the headquarter to see if they can find the answer.

This is starting to sound like one of those mystery illnesses where tests after tests are done and nothing prevails.

They will call me tomorrow to give me another update.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chris,

I'm just unlucky. I don't think other PDK owners have had similar problems. You drive 186mi RT for work?
Nope - I had to go to a test site... At least I was out of the office!!

We still need to link up.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Update...

So the car didn't start at the dealership....good! At least they know that it doesn't start and it's documented. They couldn't find the root of the problem, so they're contacting Porsche. I already know what the answer they're gonna get. "nope, haven't heard of such problem." If PCNA can't solve the problem, then they're going to contact Porsche International? Maybe the headquarter to see if they can find the answer.

This is starting to sound like one of those mystery illnesses where tests after tests are done and nothing prevails.

I would give the dealership some time to sort out the problem. If the days out of service mount up, I would insist on a new replacement and begin lemon law. A problem you face in lemon law is that the law is State by State. Not sure if need to go to Ohio to deal with this issue. YOu should check with Chris about this.

I was about to finalize my purchase today on a C2S and just decided to wait out the resolution of your issue. I am really concerned that Porsche NA got some teething issues with the 997.2 and the PDK and I prefer the teething not be at the expense of my rear end.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Update...

Tell your dealer that there is a software update for PDK. Yes, he will say there is not, but you know better - tell PCNA to call Stuttgart, they have it. Ask also about the high-pressure fuel pump field mods, since your car is already there - sooner or later the pump will fail without those. Trust me - these are real needed upgrades.

Make sure they tell you exactly what's going on and what was the fix - we, the Porsche community, need to know.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by ADias
Tell your dealer that there is a software update for PDK. Yes, he will say there is not, but you know better - tell PCNA to call Stuttgart, they have it. Ask also about the high-pressure fuel pump field mods, since your car is already there - sooner or later the pump will fail without those. Trust me - these are real needed upgrades.

Make sure they tell you exactly what's going on and what was the fix - we, the Porsche community, need to know.
Let's all save our breaths for a moment, shall we?

Yesterday I posted this issue on the pcnasource.com forums (internal Porsche employee forum) for 'after sales/tech questions'

You guys think we make this stuff up; but I 'sh*t' you not. So far I recieved two responses.

1) "is he pressing the brake down?" - to which I replied "You're kidding me with that bright idea, right?"

2) "does 909 campaign apply?" - I'll ask what that is tomorrow. Since I'm not a service advisor I have no idea what that speak is. LOL

Worse yet, there's a topic on "Service intervals" Some of the dealerships are using service intervals based on 993's!! What the?!! I had no idea- but this would explain what some of you are experiencing at certain dealerships.

Porsche recommends that it's 10k one day, the next is 12k, the next 15k , the next 12k.
You guys think WE'RE the ones with it bad? LOL apparently PCNA wants us to make it up as we go. - Personally I say do an oil change once a year and call it a day.

Quick Reply: 1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)