Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009 | 09:52 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Default SOAP OPERA

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Well guys, I really don't know what to make of it. I was getting ready to leave for work this morning at 6:10, and the same exact thing happened. Since I drove the car home on Monday afternoon from the dealer, I'm thinking it may be the car not recognizing the key?????? But then if this is the case, wouldn't the car not unlock at all if it wasn't the correct key?
This is getting interesting.
Please keep us informed.
Mr. B
Old 03-25-2009 | 11:31 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by jlinmd
Well guys, I really don't know what to make of it. I was getting ready to leave for work this morning at 6:10, and the same exact thing happened. Since I drove the car home on Monday afternoon from the dealer, I'm thinking it may be the car not recognizing the key?????? But then if this is the case, wouldn't the car not unlock at all if it wasn't the correct key?
Jack- I asked Jim my master tech; yes, #1, try key 2. If it does it still; then try this:

Get in the car, put key in ignition- w/o foot on the brake- turn key all the way to the right, put PDK lever in "N" - and try and start it.

I have a suspicion it could be the PDK thinking it's 'still in gear'.
Old 03-25-2009 | 11:42 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I asked Jim my master tech; yes, #1, try key 2. If it does it still; then try this:
Get in the car, put key in ignition- w/o foot on the brake- turn key all the way to the right, put PDK lever in "N" - and try and start it.
I have a suspicion it could be the PDK thinking it's 'still in gear'.
You are an invaluable resource, thanks for asking your Master Tech. Now I know another fix if this should happen to me.
Thank you.
Old 03-25-2009 | 12:48 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by todd.
You are an invaluable resource, thanks for asking your Master Tech. Now I know another fix if this should happen to me.
Thank you.
Jeez mang- thank you!! This is what I do. And me likey!

I just spoke to Jack; this is what I did.

I got in one of our PDK cars. key 'on' and put it in "N". Started up. Then I put it in "D" - wouldn't start- but reproduced what Jack is talking about.

I 'think' the car 'thinks' she's still in gear. What with the PDK being a pretty darn techno-wizardery piece of machinary- and that it's supposed to last the life of the car- me thinks Porsche built in a lot of 'fail safes' to ensure the life of the transmission.

When his car was towed, it was 'moved' and I'm sure there was movement w/in the transmission. Thus placing the sensor in the correct position so she 'thinks' it's in "P" and not in gear.

Just a hunch but going over the whole situation I think that's the answer. I told Jack to go home and rock the car 'back and forth' or put it in "N" and move it backwards a bit and see what happens.
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I 'think' the car 'thinks' she's still in gear. What with the PDK being a pretty darn techno-wizardery piece of machinary- and that it's supposed to last the life of the car- me thinks Porsche built in a lot of 'fail safes' to ensure the life of the transmission.
Also... there's a software update for PDK. It may not yet have been distributed by PCNA, but it will be eventually.
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:11 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by ADias
Also... there's a software update for PDK. It may not yet have been distributed by PCNA, but it will be eventually.
What does the update entail?
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:20 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Jack just called me. No-go. Nothing that I suggested worked. So off to the dealership it goes. wtf....

aggrevating.........poor Jack!
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:39 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Jack, whatcha got there is a common- or garden Porsche Poltergeist.

Happens from time to time.

Go down to you local Catholic church, ask the priest to wander over with some incense and stuff and perform an exorcism. (Gotta be catholic; Porsche Poltergeists only react to Catholic chanting - something about Martin Luther nailing the theses to the wall onceuponatime meant that non-Catholic exorcism doesn't work on German cars. Allegedly.)
Old 03-25-2009 | 03:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
What does the update entail?
Don't know details. Reflash is happening though - already available in Europe.
Old 03-25-2009 | 04:15 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by draxa
Jack, whatcha got there is a common- or garden Porsche Poltergeist.

Happens from time to time.

Go down to you local Catholic church, ask the priest to wander over with some incense and stuff and perform an exorcism. (Gotta be catholic; Porsche Poltergeists only react to Catholic chanting - something about Martin Luther nailing the theses to the wall onceuponatime meant that non-Catholic exorcism doesn't work on German cars. Allegedly.)
Jack was thinking a 'spanking' was in order. Maybe she's being a saucy biotch.
Old 03-25-2009 | 04:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

I got in one of our PDK cars. key 'on' and put it in "N". Started up. Then I put it in "D" - wouldn't start- but reproduced what Jack is talking about.

I 'think' the car 'thinks' she's still in gear.
Um, there is no thinking about it. If you put it in D and then tried to start it then it is in gear.

It could well be the safety interlock on the auto transmission (or the switch to ensure the clutch is depressed on a 6spd).

But given the failure is happening early in the mornings.. I'm thinking it could also be temperature related. If you have the time, and it doesn't start in the morning, can you leave it sitting till the afternoon and then try and start it?

It is certainly NOT a battery problem since all the electronics work and the starter isn't even attempting to turn.
Old 03-25-2009 | 04:41 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Minok
But given the failure is happening early in the mornings.. I'm thinking it could also be temperature related. If you have the time, and it doesn't start in the morning, can you leave it sitting till the afternoon and then try and start it?

It is certainly NOT a battery problem since all the electronics work and the starter isn't even attempting to turn.
Exactly my thinking. Occam's Razor paraphrase - the most simple explanation is almost always the correct explanation and so try the simple explanation first.

Check the STARTER MOTOR circuit and spinning gear.
Old 03-25-2009 | 05:35 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Minok
Um, there is no thinking about it. If you put it in D and then tried to start it then it is in gear.

It could well be the safety interlock on the auto transmission (or the switch to ensure the clutch is depressed on a 6spd).

re-read what I wrote; but to clarify: I meant that putting it into "D" to reproduce the effect, and then put it back in "P".

Regardless my assumption is the car 'thinks' it's still in "D" or "M" rather then "P".

Picking up what I'm throwing down? lol
Old 03-25-2009 | 05:37 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

In other news I think I want a Zebra striped Elephant looking lil-critter. Be cool for a pet.

Carry on.
Old 03-25-2009 | 06:13 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Need to bring it back to the selling dealer and tell them to fix the damn thing or eat it. Oops....sorry...my NY style is showing again.

Chris might have a road trip in the immediate future!

Quick Reply: 1222mi on the new C2S PDK and kaput...(long)