Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreed Value insurance? What are people doing for their 997s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 10:59 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I'm not sure about that. When I looked into AV policies, Grundy was by far, the most restrictive. They were a complete non-starter. Told me that only driving allowed was to and from car shows etc. If I stopped for ice cream on the way back, it would not be covered. It was so unbelievable, I called back and spoke to another rep who basically told me the same thing. I wonder if Grundy gives you preferred rated and use because you basically have fleet insurance or are grandfathered in somehow?
Not sure. They have 3 classifications - exotic, classic, and regular use. I had to do the Cayenne as regular use even though it's the least used car because we take it on vacations where it sits outside at hotels and places and for classic or exotic status, has to be garaged.

Maybe they won't do a single classic car as regular use. 2 of my drivers are teenagers and they can't drive the classics or exotic until they're 25, but can drive their cars and the pickup.

Grundy fixed my daughter's BMW x5 once when she was hit by an uninsured motorist then paid out agreed value on it when she was hit again and it was totalled - both not at fault accidents, so my experience with them has been great.

They will only insure clean title cars though - no salvage titles etc.

Established my policy in 2018 and just been adding vehicles to it since then, so maybe something has changed.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:21 AM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I'm not sure about that. When I looked into AV policies, Grundy was by far, the most restrictive. They were a complete non-starter. Told me that only driving allowed was to and from car shows etc. If I stopped for ice cream on the way back, it would not be covered. It was so unbelievable, I called back and spoke to another rep who basically told me the same thing. I wonder if Grundy gives you preferred rated and use because you basically have fleet insurance or are grandfathered in somehow?
I recently had a similar experience with Hagerty. I've had an AV policy with them for years on my 911 that I set up through my Allstate agent. I recently got another car I wanted to add with an AV policy so I called Hagerty directly. They really grilled me on how I'd be using the car, AND would not explain to me if they had different categories of use. They explicitly told me that they do not share that information. It was basically: tell us how you plan on using it, we'll tell you if we'll insure it but be totally opaque about how we calculate your rate based on whatever you told us. And yes, I agree, that if I said: I might stop at the market on my way home from a car show, they'd be like: "no insurance for you!" It really turned me off of them, and I ended up adding that other car to my Allstate policy. Driving the car 1/week to work and/or parking anywhere but a private garage were non-starters for them.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:30 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think someone on Facebook just moved to Erie Insurance from Hagerty and the policy was 1/2 or 1/3 the cost. Maybe try them.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:59 PM
idylldon
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

N.B. -- Just checked and Erie isn't available in CA. Seems they're focused in the Midwest.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 03-13-2024, 12:17 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Porsche Insurance

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
I received a letter from Porsche Insurance notifying me that they have been reinstated in Oregon. But still, the covered states are very limited at the moment. I highly recommend using PI if/when they become available in your state.
Porsche Insurance is available in my state. I feel like my current carrier is ripping me off. No claims. No accidents. No tickets. Doesn't matter to them. Rates are skyrocketing. Time to move on.

What are you guys thoughts that have Porsche Insurance? Happy? Will they do Agreed Value?

I am a high deductible person just looking to get the most competitive rate to cover a total loss. I'm not looking to ever nickel and dime my insurance company (and never have).

Thanks.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:18 AM
alaris
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 52 Posts

Update for anyone who stores in a driveway: if you’ll accept $50k as a stated value maximum, Hagerty will insure a non garage kept car.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:20 AM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by alaris
Update for anyone who stores in a driveway: if you’ll accept $50k as a stated value maximum, Hagerty will insure a non garage kept car.
Interesting, that wasn't my experience. I was asking for $20k for an e30 touring and non-garage kept was a non-starter for them.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:29 AM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
Porsche Insurance is available in my state. I feel like my current carrier is ripping me off. No claims. No accidents. No tickets. Doesn't matter to them. Rates are skyrocketing. Time to move on.

What are you guys thoughts that have Porsche Insurance? Happy? Will they do Agreed Value?

I am a high deductible person just looking to get the most competitive rate to cover a total loss. I'm not looking to ever nickel and dime my insurance company (and never have).

Thanks.
I called last October and they were not writing in Texas.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:18 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
I called last October and they were not writing in Texas.
I enrolled in December. You should inquire again.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:33 PM
B453D
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My previous car had an AV policy with Safeco. Eight years, zero late / missed payments, zero claims. I requested a quote for the 997, same use and limits as the other car, but it felt like they didn't want to insure it. The agent, who is otherwise very responsive, dragged his feet really badly. It's a wild time for insurers.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:25 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

Porsche Insurance has been fantastic to work with. There are no driving restrictions, they will cover mods, and they use OE parts if needed for repairs. They were also very liberal with agreed value for my car. The premiums are based on miles driven. You estimate how many miles you intend on driving every 6 months and they establish your premium. At the end of the period, you report your miles by sending a photo of your odometer. Your account is trued up based on actual miles driven and you either get a credit or are charged (about 6-7 cents per mile) depending on your risk profile. Easy peasy. Based on their site, they are currently insuring in these states: Arizona, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. And just recently reinstated in Oregon.

Originally Posted by SB27

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
ATX_Native (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 05:38 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by B453D
I enrolled in December. You should inquire again.
Same here. Enrolled in December for Texas coverage. Agreed value, no mileage caps. All of it.
The following users liked this post:
B453D (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 03:40 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

To add some data points, I recently renewed with Porsche Insurance for 10 cents per mile, no mileage limits/driving restrictions, $90K AV, OE parts replacement, modifications are covered, and the following levels of coverage (below). My car has approx 90K miles on the odo and a ****-ton of mods. I expect to drive about 10K miles over the next year so my expected premium will be about $1000 for one year. Rates have increased since I started using PI because inflation. When I first started with PI a couple years ago, the cost per mile was about 7 cents. I live in Oregon, male, late 50s with a clean driving record, and FICO in the 800s. For comparison, I paid almost $2000/yr with Hagerty with numerous mileage and driving restrictions. If you can get PI as an insurer, I highly recommend doing so. They are great to work with and relatively affordable.

Bodily Injury 250,000/500,000
Property Damage 100,000
Comprehensive 500
Collision 1000
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury 250,000/500,000
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage 50,000
Personal Injury Protection 50,000
Rental Reimbursement 125/3750
Glass YES
Old 03-14-2024, 03:44 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Better question still - anyone here had experience filing a claim with them? Love the good coverage for competitive prices without restrictions that are common with others, but would love to hear some real world experiences when you actually have to use the insurance.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's the Problem with Porsche Insurance - they'll arbitrarily send you a non-renewal notice or suspend coverage in certain states, and if you leave your current provider, there's no guarantee they'll take you back. It looks like they've had at least 2 different underwriting companies so far.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...icy-in-az.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...n-renewal.html

I also can't find a single reference to a claim experience with them, so that's a bit of a crap-shoot at this point as well.

I do like the basis for the policy though in that rates are reasonable since they're based on the mileage driven. A few of my cars are lucky to see 2,000 miles/year but I'm paying normal prices on them. I'm probably not willing to risk the inability to insure them so likely won't shop it around as I have good setup with Grundy currently including AV on all 9 cars (7 Porsches) with 2 teenage drivers in the household.

Quick Reply: Agreed Value insurance? What are people doing for their 997s?