Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreed Value insurance? What are people doing for their 997s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 12:59 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by B453D
I enrolled in December. You should inquire again.
Just got a quote and signed up, saved me around $1,500 per year on both of our cars, stated value policy and 500 CSL.

Awesome!

The following users liked this post:
Busta Rib (03-20-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:27 AM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm waiting on underwriting from Grundy, fingers crossed
Old 03-21-2024, 05:42 PM
carguy999
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 72 Posts

Heads up, denied from Grundy for these reasons:
1. Each household operator must have their own daily driven vehicle2. Operators cannot share a daily driven vehicle

3. Does not meet underwriter requirements

Not sure what is meant by point three, but my wife and I share a vehicle.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:52 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,104 Posts

For those of you insuring for agreed value, how are you pricing your car? Are you pricing it near the top of the market if it's clean? Or are you keeping it more middle of the range?
I see pros and cons to each. Pricing higher means a larger payout if your vehicle is a total loss, but the downside there is it will be harder to total out.
For those of us that would rather have a replaced car vs a repaired car, this becomes tricky to make sure you're getting enough value out of it, without making it too hard to total.

The main reason I'm using an agreed value speciality insurer is because of OEM parts replacement, not just for the agreed value aspect.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:47 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

If you are concerned about the totalling scenario, get an agreed value (current or anticipated future market value) that is the lowest you are comfortable with if your car was totalled and you needed the payout to replace with a similar car. It may not make you completely whole but if it gets you close enough and you would be happy, that is your number. On the risk spectrum, you are more likely to exercise a claim for repair vs total in the future. The calculus to determine whether to total a car also comes into play. Find out what percentage of the value of the car triggers totalling. Some trigger as low as 30% while others require 50%. For 997s, it doesn't take much to get a $15-20K repair bill.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
For those of you insuring for agreed value, how are you pricing your car? Are you pricing it near the top of the market if it's clean? Or are you keeping it more middle of the range?
I see pros and cons to each. Pricing higher means a larger payout if your vehicle is a total loss, but the downside there is it will be harder to total out.
For those of us that would rather have a replaced car vs a repaired car, this becomes tricky to make sure you're getting enough value out of it, without making it too hard to total.

The main reason I'm using an agreed value speciality insurer is because of OEM parts replacement, not just for the agreed value aspect.

The following users liked this post:
Omnigeek (04-23-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 02:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

I have a cost spreadsheet on each of my cars. They're insured for every $ I've spent on maintenance and mods plus my $5k deductible. That should get me a decent replacement should the unthinkable happen.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:35 PM
cvalue13
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just got an AV policy through Porsche Auto Insurance.

in the process, I played around with the AV. It seems that the AV to premium value isn’t linear, but instead weighted towards some background view of the eg KBB like value of the car. So it’s not merely about tag your AV and pay a proportionate premium, but for example that the more your AV deviates from some background assumption the more costly your premium may become.

For example, with (lowest deductible, highest coverage) an AV set to $55K (probably nearer an eg KBB value) my 6mo premium was $250, while an AV set at $65K was $330/6mo. So 15% higher AV resulted in a 25% higher premium.

suspect that if I keyed AV to say $75K, the premium would have risen just as exponentially.

Just a back-of napkin observation, but I think factors in to an individual’s optimum strategy.

note also that a person’s quoted premium will be based on a credit check. Have your CCs paid down and reflected in your transition etc for the best rates.

Old 04-13-2024, 06:07 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

I just signed with Hagerty on my 09 C4S. Grundy no play in Cali. Saved $700 per year and it's agreed value. I valued at about replacement cost. Repair is not a problem for me and she's got 105k on her now so I can replace with a like ride or upgrade for small additional cost. They were careful to ask about commuter cars for each member of the household. They also frowned on taking it on vacation. That was surprising given their motto is "Lets hit the road!" It turns out I can take it on vacation, but they don't want to see long distance drives like intra-state travel or cross country. My wife's joints wouldn't take that long of a trip anyway.

Quick Reply: Agreed Value insurance? What are people doing for their 997s?