Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agreed Value insurance? What are people doing for their 997s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 08:28 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 304 Posts

$90k on my 997.2 for agreed value via Hagerty. Comes out to about $900 every six months. Unlimited driving.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:42 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
$90k on my 997.2 for agreed value via Hagerty. Comes out to about $900 every six months. Unlimited driving.
yikes. That’s way high. My agreed value is 75k with 2k miles per year for about 250 for 6 months.

maybe the AVG is the big cost driver?
Old 12-27-2023, 09:53 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,343 Likes on 610 Posts

I have USAA on my 997 6MT Coupe GTS in excellent condition, 26K and some not inexpensive mods, but all reversible and OEM parts in hand.

If they use KBB, I am underinsured by quite a bit.

My premiums are low, so I am electing to self insure that $15-20K.
Car is stored and driven quite hard (it seems to thrive being whipped for hours at high RPM in canyons) an average of 4 one week long road trip/ mountain rally sessions per year.

A bit disconcerting to read all the roadblocks to paying for a valuation if it can be documented by BaT sales data.
I don't see the scam risk to the insurer.

Glad you guys are trading info.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 12-27-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:11 PM
texass4
Racer

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I have USAA on my 997 6MT Coupe GTS in excellent condition, 26K and some not inexpensive mods, but all reversible and OEM parts in hand.

If they use KBB, I am underinsured by quite a bit.

My premiums are low, so I am electing to self insure that $15-20K.
Car is stored and driven quite hard (it seems to thrive being whipped for hours at high RPM in canyons) an average of 4 one week long road trip/ mountain rally sessions per year.

A bit disconcerting to read all the roadblocks to paying for a valuation if it can be documented by BaT sales data.
I don't see the scam risk to the insurer.

Glad you guys are trading info.
What do you mean, exactly? Are you talking about documenting/establishing replacement costs with BaT data in the event that you have a total loss? After speaking to them about that, they demurred and pointed me to their option to be covered for 20% over KBB. Still seems like a tough negotiation. I thought my premiums were low from USAA too, so I also quoted my DD and my wife's car. Both, with equivalent coverage from a few others were within rounding error difference. The problem was with my 911. Wildly expensive compared to Hagerty, Porsche and others who specialize in insuring cars like this. Amica even went so far as to say they didn't want to write a policy for it. Go figure.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:20 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
yikes. That’s way high. My agreed value is 75k with 2k miles per year for about 250 for 6 months.

maybe the AVG is the big cost driver?
with whom are you insured? My 997 policy with Geico was as much and it wasn’t agreed value, so the hagerty quote felt fine
Old 12-28-2023, 11:48 AM
texass4
Racer

Originally Posted by hexagone
with whom are you insured? My 997 policy with Geico was as much and it wasn’t agreed value, so the hagerty quote felt fine
that number was for Porsche insurance.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:38 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texass4
What do you mean, exactly? Are you talking about documenting/establishing replacement costs with BaT data in the event that you have a total loss? After speaking to them about that, they demurred and pointed me to their option to be covered for 20% over KBB. Still seems like a tough negotiation. I thought my premiums were low from USAA too, so I also quoted my DD and my wife's car. Both, with equivalent coverage from a few others were within rounding error difference. The problem was with my 911. Wildly expensive compared to Hagerty, Porsche and others who specialize in insuring cars like this. Amica even went so far as to say they didn't want to write a policy for it. Go figure.
I'm not sure what I mean!
I will call USAA and discuss the issue.

My policy is ACV (actual cash value) in case of total loss or theft. Which is a
KBB number that doesn't reflect what our rides would fetch on BaT.

Every dealer visit I make a SA offers to buy my GTS. They will not resell it at KBB, right?

Have not even heard of the USAA KBB + 20% option. Thanks for that info.

Been with them for 50 years, but today's USAA is not the reasonable/personable outfit they used to be.

My overriding thing is the loss I suffer from being "underinsured" in value will not break the bank like a house would.
So, "self" insuring is just me accepting a loss will be both the car and the lower than present market value payoff.

I'm here to learn and will share any info I glean from USAA.

Cheers to a new year.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:32 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

I just started new home, auto, and umbrella policies with Erie. The cost was less than half than what I was paying with Allstate, like for like. Included are two agreed value policies for both Porsches. The 997 GTS is valued at $100k and stored 6 months/year. $302/year. The 991 is valued at $109 and is currently listed as stored 0 months/year for $658. Not all the bells and whistles that Hagerty offers that I'll never use, but the cost for both comes in at less than half than what Hagerty quoted me for the 997.

I was shocked at the rate they charged and was one of the reasons I switched everything to Erie. We cut our insurance costs substantially by switching from Allstate plus added AV policies. Win/win

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 03-10-2024 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:36 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,104 Posts

Porsche Auto Insurance stopped renewing in Ohio. My friend got a letter in the mail. Curious what my Hagerty renewal will be in a couple of months.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:55 PM
idylldon
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, Allstate has raised my rates on all my cars a significant amount so I'm searching around. I got a good quote on my '06 C2S from Hagerty but I'm a bit wary because of some of the reviews I've read Porsche isn't writing policies in CA and I don't imagine they will start to do so soon since they've been out of commission in CA for a few years now.

Anyone have good/bad experiences with Hagerty?

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 03-11-2024, 11:39 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

From their website today:

"Porsche Auto Insurance is currently available in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. We will be expanding to more states in the near future. To find out when we are launching in your state, please provide your information below and we will stay in touch."
Old 03-12-2024, 12:10 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 411 Posts

I received a letter from Porsche Insurance notifying me that they have been reinstated in Oregon. But still, the covered states are very limited at the moment. I highly recommend using PI if/when they become available in your state.

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
From their website today:

"Porsche Auto Insurance is currently available in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, and Texas. We will be expanding to more states in the near future. To find out when we are launching in your state, please provide your information below and we will stay in touch."
Old 03-12-2024, 10:17 AM
alaris
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 52 Posts

I’ve got a small garage and my air cooled car gets the only spot. That car is insured with Hagerty. Does anyone know of any company that will do AV on a car kept in a driveway? Hagerty and all of the above listed companies require garaging.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by alaris
I’ve got a small garage and my air cooled car gets the only spot. That car is insured with Hagerty. Does anyone know of any company that will do AV on a car kept in a driveway? Hagerty and all of the above listed companies require garaging.
Grundy will, but might have to be classified as a regular use car. Three of my AV cars with them are parked outside - GMC pickup, Audi Q5 my daughter has at college, and my son's 944 S2.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:52 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Grundy will, but might have to be classified as a regular use car. Three of my AV cars with them are parked outside - GMC pickup, Audi Q5 my daughter has at college, and my son's 944 S2.

I'm not sure about that. When I looked into AV policies, Grundy was by far, the most restrictive. They were a complete non-starter. Told me that only driving allowed was to and from car shows etc. If I stopped for ice cream on the way back, it would not be covered. It was so unbelievable, I called back and spoke to another rep who basically told me the same thing. I wonder if Grundy gives you preferred rated and use because you basically have fleet insurance or are grandfathered in somehow?

Quick Reply: Agreed Value insurance? What are people doing for their 997s?