Blah blah 997.2 price blah - let's talk about value

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,706 Likes on 4,263 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn

I feel fortunate to drive the crap out of my 997 GTS with a 6MT, RWD, hydro-mechanical steering, mechanical LSD, ratcheting handbrake, N/A engine- coupled with a semi-modern interior: Bose sound system, Adaptive Sport Seats, PDLS headlights, Sat Radio, Bluetooth phone, PASM, PSM and the bulletproof (so far) 9A1 direct injected engine with the X51 power option. While surprised by the recent GTS valuation spike, I have always valued the visceral experience, regardless of shifting market value.
That's a heck of a spec on your car. Congtats. The only thing it's missing is PCCBs to be the pinnacle of a street 997.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:46 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That's a heck of a spec on your car. Congtats. The only thing it's missing is PCCBs to be the pinnacle of a street 997.
Speaking of GTS specs has anyone heard how Mdrums is doing?
Old 02-22-2021, 05:08 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

It is sad to see this thread evolve into a debate on transmission type and a cutting down if anyone who likes the PDK. I’ve driven both and I don’t see either as being superior to the other. It really is up to the individual. I would hate a manual in stop and go traffic but love it on the open road. That’s just me.

That being said, when you look at the used car market for any classic going back to Chevy muscle cars the manual transmission cars will always command a higher price. There is something special about a manual.

When someone buys new they make a choice that best fits their particular need. Sometimes it comes down to satisfying the other half of the family. My wife would never drive a manual because grew up on automatics. She’s completely overwhelmed by the 911 to begin with. Honestly no one needs a 911. To me it’s a toy and I love it. I have other vehicles for DD depending on the immediate need. My 911 has a PDK and I love it. If I want the shift experience I put in manual mode. When stuck in traffic I go auto.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:35 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Yes, it is no fun that the same people constantly feel the need to jam their own personal opinion down everyone’s throat, and insist that their opinion is fact. They'll even try to convince us that the PDK vs manual sales figures don't mean what they in fact do mean. The overwhelming number of buyers prefer PDK to an old manual. Its a fact. Manufacturers build what buyers pay for. Anyway, after a while you just learn to ignore and tune out the manual fan boys and focus on the factual info in the forum. Eventually they'll find something else to cram down our throats, like they used to do with Tesla and iPhones.
The following users liked this post:
william123 (03-09-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 06:45 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't think the point was manuals are "better" than the PDK- they are not. The thread is about valuation, and the price difference on the used market is real. Maybe manual transmission cars are "worse" from the OP's perspective, as they are getting "priced out of the neighborhood" faster than PDKs. But if you worry about there being too much appreciation (I'm not), then you would worry more about 6mt cars.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:17 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Nothing to be sad about and your car isn't worthless. This forum is a treasure trove in terms of good information on the 997 but it's heavily biased towards manuals vs. PDK and not a good representation of the real market imo. Why has Porsche consistently built 80% PDK and 20% manual cars since 2009? Because manuals are in higher demand? The manual market is small but consists of die hards that are fighting till their knuckles bleed over a small number of manual cars which sometimes drives the price of those cars up. Doesn't mean PDK cars are worthless.

Porsche is among the best in the industry when it comes to making money. If the demand for manuals was strong I bet good money they would build more of them. They've had 12 years now to analyze what the market wants, what the dealerships are asking for and the 80% vs. 20% for PDK and manual respectively has held relatively steady by all statistics available. At least the statistics I've been able to find.
Thanks for the support! I’m not really sad and regardless of how much it appreciates/depreciates I don’t plan to sell, my wife/kids can deal with it.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:21 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
The overwhelming number of buyers prefer PDK to an old manual. Its a fact. Manufacturers build what buyers pay for.
The overwhelming number of new buyers prefer PDK to manual. These are not new cars anymore and prices are dictated more by a confluence of rarity and enthusiast preference. Those people who shopped new and overwhelmingly bought a PDK 997 are now in a PDK 991 or 992.

According to this logic, the 6spd Gallardo, a spec ordered so rarely that Lamborghini would eventually start clarifying with the dealer that it wasn't ordered by mistake, would be worth significantly less than the automatic variants. After all, nobody wanted em, right?

This exact scenario has played out across the enthusiast car spectrum, whether it's with BMW M-cars or Ferraris or yes, even Porsches.
Audidude (04-12-2022)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

Guys, it's really not that complicated.
If I were in a jam for cash, then I'll take whatever offer over "CarMax's" offer.
If not, then I'll take what ever offer that would make me forget that my C4S isn't in the garage anymore.
z3mcoupe (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
I mostly agree with sandwedge's opinion expressed above.

But the obvious fact he is not mentioning is this: Porsche has continued to offer a manual transmission option, despite the PDK being "superior" in any objective sense.

Why are the 911R, the 991.2 GTS/RS and 991.2 Speedster available with a new, improved 6MT, when the PDK is "superior" in every measurable way?

Simple: Driving a 911 is not an objective experience. If not on a track striving for best lap times, the cognitive demand requirement of a manual transmission is a positive factor in driver engagement and contributes to operator satisfaction. Manually manipulating a machine well is its own reward.

"Flying" a modern aircraft is essentially monitoring the autopilot/autothrust systems. Turning off the "magic" is actually where the fun of flying begins. Manipulating the thrust levers and actuating the flight controls is a visceral experience, which can be duplicated and often improved by automation, but that requires surrendering control of a machine and becoming a monitor. No one takes pride in a smooth autoland. A manual (hand-flown) approach to a precise touchdown in strong gusty crosswinds, on center line and without any crab into the wind is one of the great satisfactions in aviation.

Devoting a portion of one's brain to heel and toe rev-matching, while also planning/executing gear selection to match power demand is huge part of the driving experience craved/appreciated by "hardcore" or "old school" 911 aficionados.

The TipTronic auto was reviled by most 911 drivers- tolerated, at best. While the PDK is an improvement for anyone tracking, daily driving in traffic, or unable/unwilling to operate a clutch, the valuations do not reflect a preference for it.

Asserting that the 80/20 (PDK favorable) split on 997 builds somehow bestows a desirability factor in today's market is not accurate - that was then and the current market valuation of manual transmissions is today's reality. Manual transmissions are in greater demand, and maybe command a price premium because the heritage, history and soul of the 911 is intrinsically linked to that gearbox. "Progress" has not, at least in the 997.2/991.2/992 GTS/RS, 911R and 991 Speedster, supplanted the manual transmission with a PDK. On the contrary, a 6MT is either an option or a mandatory choice in those enthusiast 911 models.
No need to mention the fact that Porsche still offers a manual option. They know there's still demand for a manual but I think the production numbers speak for themselves. As I've said before, I see the PDK and manual markets as two separate markets. PDK buyers have no interest in a manual anymore and the manual buyers have no interest in a PDK. So the must have a manual guys keep fighting over the small number of manuals available while the huge majority of 997 buyers could care less about their little price wars over cars they don't want.

So why is the 80/20 PDK manual split not accurate in terms of desirability in today's market? You say.... "that was then and the current market valuation of manual transmissions is today's reality. Manual transmissions are in greater demand". As I said in a previous post, Porsche has had 12 years now to figure out which transmission is in greater demand and the 80/20 split in favor of the PDK has held relatively steady over more than a decade. If as you say "Manual transmissions are in greater demand", why have they stayed stubbornly around the 80/20 split?

I would love to hear a good rationale for Porsche ignoring dealership's desperate cries for more manuals if as you say the demand for them either outstrips the demand for PDK's or arent't built in enough numbers. To me at least, it makes no sense for Porsche to keep building cars with the 80/20 split in favor of PDK for over a decade if the marketplace including Porsche dealerships gave them undisputed proof that they were building cars the majority of buyers don't want.

As for your reference to flying an airplane manually as opposed to letting the autopilot do the job, I can relate and I agree with all you said. I flew DC9's and MD-80's for TWA until they finally crapped in CH 11 (second time). Never used the auto pilot below 10,000' regardless of weather. Being cleared below 10,000' was my triggering point to disconnect the auto pilot and I never strayed from it. I drive my PDK car the same way...sort of. In auto mode until the oil is up to temperature and then always in manual, sport plus. It's engaging, you control the inputs but I understand that to some, using your left leg when shifting gears is important. Me, I've moved on to the next generation. A little different but still engaging if you have a desire to make it so. If you sit down in a PDK car and hate it before even discovering what it's capable of then there's no reason to even try it imo.
The following 3 users liked this post by sandwedge:
JAB_997 (08-03-2021), Mitch911 (02-23-2021), william123 (03-09-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 07:05 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

Which engine oil should I use with a PDK? If I shift manually, should I use the same oil as a manual transmission car?
Old 02-23-2021, 10:21 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skwerl
The overwhelming number of new buyers prefer PDK to manual. These are not new cars anymore and prices are dictated more by a confluence of rarity and enthusiast preference. Those people who shopped new and overwhelmingly bought a PDK 997 are now in a PDK 991 or 992.

According to this logic, the 6spd Gallardo, a spec ordered so rarely that Lamborghini would eventually start clarifying with the dealer that it wasn't ordered by mistake, would be worth significantly less than the automatic variants. After all, nobody wanted em, right?

This exact scenario has played out across the enthusiast car spectrum, whether it's with BMW M-cars or Ferraris or yes, even Porsches.

Porsche builds NEW cars to sell to original buyers. Obviously that's how they make their money. No manufacturer builds cars for the second or third or fourth owner, or for some small, specialty niche on a forum. Nor does this forum represent reality. And that's OK, most of us are not here for reality - we are more car nuts and not representative of the larger market. But nobody should think that OUR opinions accurately reflect the market for Porsches or any other brand, because they don't! If our opinions really mattered to Porsche, or Ferrari, or Lamborghini, I promise you, what they build would prove it! And as we've discussed on here so many times, the reason for the pricing on the few manuals that were actually sold is simply supply and demand. You only need 2 buyers for one item to get a bidding war. Right now you have enthusiasts like us, and collectors who will never drive these cars, clamoring to get one of the very few, old school manual transmission cars available. Nothing more than that. It doesn't mean they are better, or worse. It''s simple supply and demand.

Last edited by ThomasCarreraGTS; 02-23-2021 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThomasCarreraGTS:
benznotmercedes (02-25-2021), slimmn (03-06-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:32 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

No need to mention the fact that Porsche still offers a manual option. They know there's still demand for a manual but I think the production numbers speak for themselves. As I've said before, I see the PDK and manual markets as two separate markets. PDK buyers have no interest in a manual anymore and the manual buyers have no interest in a PDK. So the must have a manual guys keep fighting over the small number of manuals available while the huge majority of 997 buyers could care less about their little price wars over cars they don't want.

So why is the 80/20 PDK manual split not accurate in terms of desirability in today's market? You say.... "that was then and the current market valuation of manual transmissions is today's reality. Manual transmissions are in greater demand". As I said in a previous post, Porsche has had 12 years now to figure out which transmission is in greater demand and the 80/20 split in favor of the PDK has held relatively steady over more than a decade. If as you say "Manual transmissions are in greater demand", why have they stayed stubbornly around the 80/20 split?

I would love to hear a good rationale for Porsche ignoring dealership's desperate cries for more manuals if as you say the demand for them either outstrips the demand for PDK's or arent't built in enough numbers. To me at least, it makes no sense for Porsche to keep building cars with the 80/20 split in favor of PDK for over a decade if the marketplace including Porsche dealerships gave them undisputed proof that they were building cars the majority of buyers don't want.

As for your reference to flying an airplane manually as opposed to letting the autopilot do the job, I can relate and I agree with all you said. I flew DC9's and MD-80's for TWA until they finally crapped in CH 11 (second time). Never used the auto pilot below 10,000' regardless of weather. Being cleared below 10,000' was my triggering point to disconnect the auto pilot and I never strayed from it. I drive my PDK car the same way...sort of. In auto mode until the oil is up to temperature and then always in manual, sport plus. It's engaging, you control the inputs but I understand that to some, using your left leg when shifting gears is important. Me, I've moved on to the next generation. A little different but still engaging if you have a desire to make it so. If you sit down in a PDK car and hate it before even discovering what it's capable of then there's no reason to even try it imo.
Yeah, the dealerships are NOT crying for manuals, I can assure you. I worked in dealerships, mostly as General Manager for 16 years. Dealerships have NO romance about cars like we do. They only want what sells. Sadly, the ultimate sports cars and track cars that we dream of on this forum hardly sell at all, and no dealership wants to sit on merchandise with such a limited buyer pool, and run up huge floorpan costs. They need the volume of Cayennes, Macans and now the Taycan. Thats how they pay for everything. If manual transmissions were favored in the 911, they would be ordered that way and Porsche would build them that way. Contrary to what some people think, Porsche does NOT build what it wants without regard to the market, they do in fact build what the market demands. Yes, there are still a small number of purists who favor the nostalgic manual transmission, and so unlike most companies, Porsche actually spends the money designing one and getting it through regulations, which is no easy task, but the market is very small in the scope of things. And for anyone who actually drives these cars on track, as I regularly do, a PDK transmission is vastly superior and faster than any old manual. In fact, no less than Gordon Murray selected paddles only for his new, ultimate track car named after Niki Lauda. Old school manuals are quaint, and there is nostalgia, and yes, I love them, but PDK is technically far superior and manuals will shortly be gone from the market completely.

Last edited by ThomasCarreraGTS; 02-23-2021 at 11:05 AM.
william123 (03-09-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 10:48 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 302 Posts

I don't think any reasonable person is denying, or blaming, Porsche for building more PDK cars than manuals. They're not stupid and they know what sells. Nor is anyone really arguing the manual transmission is objectively "better" than the PDK. I do think, however, that when we talk about a ~10 year old car on the used market, it's hard to deny that an apples to apples 6MT 997.2 isn't worth more than its PDK counterpart to the right buyer (crazy car nuts like us). Supply and demand is certainly a part of it, lower production numbers for 6MT, etc. The fact that there are fewer and fewer manuals are offered in the new cars actually helps drive up the values of the old manual cars, I would think.
Skwerl (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,706 Likes on 4,263 Posts

Porsche certainly understands the enthusiast buyer and their connection to manual transmissions. They learned this lesson the hard way with the introduction of the 991 GT3 that was not offered with a MT option. Based on the uproar, the manual option was brought back for the 991.2 GT3. Also, look at some of the super-expensive specialty offerings that were only offered with a MT. The previous 2 generations of Boxster Spyder, the RS 4.0 that essentially became the Touring, the 991 based speedster, etc. Surely, the normal new Carrera buyer has a preference for PDK, but the specialty model new Porsche buyer who is old enough to be affluent enough to buy a $250k car (speedster) grew up with Manuals and still likes and wants them. The second or third hand 911 buyer still wants manuals and that's where the supply and demand issue stems from - the new buyer ordering PDK and more of the used buyers not wanting it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Petza914:
997.1C2S (12-24-2021), Liste-Renn (02-23-2021), Ripking (03-03-2021), TerrestrialFlyte (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

This is absolutely the case. (And I think the same is true for Coupes vs Cabs.)

Discussion often seems to degenerate down to which is better, worse, advantaged, or disadvantaged. All of that is a waste of neural energy and is utter nonsense.

Buyers target precisely what they want and go for it. Condition and build become the primary differentiators.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Ripking (03-03-2021), ThomasCarreraGTS (02-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Blah blah 997.2 price blah - let's talk about value