Sponsored by:

Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 04:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by edz968s
Beginning to think so, cheap camera, though no screen activates in reverse.
unless it states AHD - they are all standard def cameras.

I believe if an ahd cam is plugged into the pccm+ via AHD mode - there will be an error signal msg (this was how it was for my android 8 pcm)
Old 02-09-2023, 04:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by svandamme
Go under the cowl if you want something better than the PCCM shelf
or remove the blower vents , to gain access to the area behind it, as others have pointed out.
the opposite side of the oem factory location close to the upper suspension works well as well - it is very easy to route the cable thru the front firewall
Old 02-09-2023, 05:38 PM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 65 Posts

Installed the new PCCM+ today. Other than having trouble taking the old unit out, everything seemed to go smoothly. The only odd thing is that when I turned the car on after the install, I noticed my headlights were on. The switch was set to "Home" so the lights shouldn't have been on. When I turn the switch as if to turn the lights on, the gauges in the car light up like they should but the headlights/tail lights stay on regardless of the setting. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Old 02-09-2023, 06:14 PM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by milazzo_997tt
Installed the new PCCM+ today. Other than having trouble taking the old unit out, everything seemed to go smoothly. The only odd thing is that when I turned the car on after the install, I noticed my headlights were on. The switch was set to "Home" so the lights shouldn't have been on. When I turn the switch as if to turn the lights on, the gauges in the car light up like they should but the headlights/tail lights stay on regardless of the setting. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
Never mind, I figured it out. There's a setting in the PCCM where you can configure "day time running lights." Seems the default setting is to have that selected which keeps your exterior lights on all the time. I deselected this and everything is working as it should.
The following 2 users liked this post by milazzo_997tt:
dlascoskie (02-09-2023), myw (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 06:36 PM
Carrera01
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Has anyone with Bose confirmed if the ”fm converter box” bypass is necessary? It’s step 4 of the guide.
Definitely, the radio quality suffers if you do not install the FM bypass.
The following 3 users liked this post by Carrera01:
Alfnado (02-09-2023), dlascoskie (02-09-2023), MaxPoodling (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 07:57 PM
lip-
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Does pin 8 (camera power) have power all the time?

Originally Posted by myw
if using oem 6 pin harness camera harness

pin 8 - yellow ---> to be connected to reverse camera power (this is switched camera power as per standard android radio spec)
pin 6 - will have to have a wire attached + crimped into the pin slot so that the black + blue reverse trigger splice (this is the 2ndary backup reverse trigger input as per standard android spec)

as for the camera pwrGND, the pccm+ 955 diagram doesn't one there on the 6 pin camera harness ... so that leads me to believe the oem cayenne backup camera GND piggy backs one of the rear lights.

to keep all the camera connections in the front of the car, it may be possible to crimp another pwrGND cable into the video signal (pin10). or piggyback GND from the main pcm harness (thick brown wire).

for those who hate that idea of splicing into the oem harness - you can add a reliable ground ourselves via a bolt close to the fusebox. years ago i installed a switched DC outlet to charge my phone and learned via the dashCam install threads https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18409679 that there is a bolt close to the fuse box that makes a perfect GND connection ... i dont have time to find the thread but search dashCam install 997/987 and there will be instructions somewhere showing exactly which bolt to attach a ground cable to. it is very easy.

based on everything else above (switched power + an adequate ground for the camera) - if someone tests pin6 with a 12v+ confirming that it will flip the pccm+ into reverse camera mode .... then reverse camera for manual cars on the 997 pccm+ is solved.

one last thing - i saw a video on YT re going into the pccm+ bios where there is 'reverse camera on' setting. by default it should be on (on normal android radios this setting is called 'prohibit reverse')... but sometimes it's not on the right setting... it needs to be ON so that it is pin6 is actually AWAKE to receive a reverse trigger signal. i dont own a 997 pccm+, so im not sure if the autoConfig may adjust that setting or not, but keep that in mind as a final potential trouble shooting step.

Ive confirmed with @maxw via a voltmeter that pin6 does not output current - so that gives me more confidence that it is indeed the reverse trigger input as per 955 pccm pin chart. the 955 + 997 rear circuity should be identical as all the basic pcm tech, wiring, harnesses etc are shared.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:09 PM
tangledweb
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfnado
Has anyone with Bose confirmed if the ”fm converter box” bypass is necessary? It’s step 4 of the guide.
US market car. Have Bose. Tested unit before installing the FM controller bypass. Had no FM signal at all. Installed bypass. Have good FM reception. I'd say it's necessary in a US market car with Bose.
The following 2 users liked this post by tangledweb:
Alfnado (02-09-2023), MaxPoodling (02-10-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 09:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lip-
Does pin 8 (camera power) have power all the time?
no - from my understanding it’s not supposed to

it only turns on when the reverse trigger is activated…. When

1) reverse trigger (canBus) is detected
2) 2ndary reverse trigger - pin6 is sent a 12v+
3) in traditional android world…The Fcam firmware app (when selected) will actually turns on the camera power and allow access to both front + rear video cam feeds
Old 02-10-2023, 04:26 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by milazzo_997tt
Never mind, I figured it out. There's a setting in the PCCM where you can configure "day time running lights." Seems the default setting is to have that selected which keeps your exterior lights on all the time. I deselected this and everything is working as it should.
See on mine , that does not work at all.
Can't get the settings to work properly, the DRL is no goo, door locker, somehow managed to turn on, but now won't turn off.

Very odd because all the other canbus works, temp , speed, radio on off..

I read somewhere that connectos sometimes don't seat well, , will try reseating it this afternoon
Old 02-10-2023, 04:35 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tangledweb
US market car. Have Bose. Tested unit before installing the FM controller bypass. Had no FM signal at all. Installed bypass. Have good FM reception. I'd say it's necessary in a US market car with Bose.
Indeed, and the first entry of the Troubleshooting FAQ literally points that out...

Old 02-10-2023, 11:12 AM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Just got word from Rob, he'll move the install guide to the DIY section and make me part of that group , so I will be able to update it again
The following 5 users liked this post by svandamme:
babylonboots (02-11-2023), fritzcurtis (02-10-2023), MaxPoodling (02-10-2023), maxw (02-10-2023), tangledweb (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:39 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tangledweb
I would not bet on it. I can't think of a dealer installed accessory from any brand even for new cars that involves running a new wiring harness the length of the car. If you were Porsche, would you want to warranty the parts and labor for an accessory that requires the installing dealer to pry up 20 bits of aged trim and clip them back in?

Aftermarket can do what it wants but dealer installed accessories generally plug into existing wiring, or they tell you it's not compatible with your vehicle. Of course normal brands don't usually put out new accessories for vehicles they manufactured 15 to 50 year ago so maybe normal rules don't apply.

Anything is possible, but once somebody puts up a solid how to I'll put an aftermarket camera in mine. I wouldn't hang around waiting for something that might happen one day.
having thought about what I learned from the 955 pccm+ forums … I believe you’re right.

Looking at the pin-outs for the camera section - I think the cam support was made to accommodate oem cayenne backup camera only.

the reason why the reverse screen shows up on the tipteonic 997 via the canBus is because the feature wasn’t turned off in the main bios - and being a same generation vehicle sharing most of the same wiring harnesses / general circuitry / canBus protocols / pccm+ backend …. Flipped the reverse cam settings in the 997.

but I believe the feature wasn’t specifically made ‘as an option’ for our cars at all… and I don’t think it will be supported by porsche for 997 in any official capacity
The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
maxw (02-10-2023), tangledweb (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:45 AM
dlascoskie
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

So, in theory, if you could get your hands on a cayenne backup camera & wiring....

My PCCM+ arrives Monday. Can't wait to dig in and see what kind of trouble I run into, lol.

Last edited by dlascoskie; 02-10-2023 at 11:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dlascoskie:
fritzcurtis (02-10-2023), MaxPoodling (02-10-2023), tangledweb (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dlascoskie
So, in theory, if you could get your hands on a cayenne backup camera & wiring....
no need - it’s been figured out based on the 955 pin diagram. It’s in this thread.

someone just needs to test pin6 with a 12v to flip the unit into reverse mode. It’s already been confirmed via multimeter that no current comes out of it.

Pin8 HAS to be switched camera power based on the harness design - which would turn on the oem cayenne cam.

Last edited by myw; 02-10-2023 at 01:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dlascoskie (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:26 PM
svandamme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
no need - it’s been figured out based on the 955 pin diagram

someone just needs to test pin6 with a 12v to flip the unit into reverse mode. It’s already been confirmed via multimeter that no current comes out of it. Pin8 HAS to be switched camera power based on the harness design.

my fakra f to RCA, hopefully arrives tomorrow.. its been a pain in the hole to get one
1st supplier said next day delivery and then next day changed it to 20 days
Other one should arrive tomorrow and should be fairly quick to test with just camera jerry rigged to seperate 12 volt for a test signal and then triggering the pin 6 for display

If that works, i'll write it up in the install guide

Last edited by svandamme; 02-10-2023 at 01:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dlascoskie (02-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Note to Porsche classic - 997 PCCM plus request