Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 11:12 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 185 Posts

Also in your 2/5 post above you had 1.3% fuel dilution..... and now this time it's so low it's just a trace (that's what "TR" means). Did you replace your HPFP or injectors?
Old 04-10-2022, 05:10 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^ no to both still on OEM. I suspect a poor batch of fuel. At least until there is some consistency in the numbers.

As for the viscosity, from the previous values and the virgin sample provided (TY!) that could be a bad reading. Wonder why the BS range is higher?

Or the fanboy response is the oil is so dang good the viscosity improves with use! lol.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:03 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by tapcon
^^^ no to both still on OEM. I suspect a poor batch of fuel. At least until there is some consistency in the numbers.

As for the viscosity, from the previous values and the virgin sample provided (TY!) that could be a bad reading. Wonder why the BS range is higher?

Or the fanboy response is the oil is so dang good the viscosity improves with use! lol.
Blackstone's testing leaves much to be desired. Case in point, I had a shop owner from Chicago send in a customer's used DT40 oil sample and it came back saying it had 0 ppm of Moly which is impossible.

With regards to the reported fuel dilution percentage, Blackstone does not use a separate FTIR test like Speediagnostix does, so it's more or less an estimate based off flashpoint of the oil.

Last edited by Charles Navarro; 04-11-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:16 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Blackstone's testing leaves much to be desired. Case in point, I had a shop owner from Chicago send in a customer's used DT40 oil sample and it came back saying it had 0 ppm of Moly which is impossible.

With regards to the reported fuel dilution percentage, Blackstone does not use a separate FTIR test like Speediagnostix does, so it's more or less an estimate based off flashpoint of the oil.
I agree Charles.....but $69.99 a test is....well....ouch! Suggest to Lake that maybe they might wish to try marketing a 6 pack with standard turnaround and 6 prepaid postage mailers at around $275 as I think it would sell to the enthusiast market who do prefer more accurate testing. The current 6 pack with standard turnaround offered for $249 only has two prepaid mailers which means you must submit three samples at a time. Great for commercial customers but not ideal for the enthusiast. Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:23 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I agree Charles.....but $69.99 a test is....well....ouch! Suggest to Lake that maybe they might wish to try marketing a 6 pack with standard turnaround and 6 prepaid postage mailers at around $275 as I think it would sell to the enthusiast market who do prefer more accurate testing. The current 6 pack with standard turnaround offered for $249 only has two prepaid mailers which means you must submit three samples at a time. Great for commercial customers but not ideal for the enthusiast. Just a thought.
Agreed. Between free shipping to the customer (paid by LN) and the prepaid label, then all the extra tests done as part of the standard used oil testing package, price does get up there.

I'll see what I can do on our end with the ecommerce software to provide a discount on additional single kits if purchased at the same time. Good suggestion.
The following 3 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
RABjr (05-24-2022), TerrestrialFlyte (04-12-2022), Wayne Smith (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 03:44 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Would love to use speediasgnostix for my cars but its just too expensive at more than 2x the competition.
Old 04-14-2022, 05:39 PM
Kineticdg
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

Another test - my goal was to do the lesser of 3,000 miles or 12 months (and I'm thinking I should shorten that interval), but life got crazy and I missed both limits (13 months). Numbers seem good though, at least to the accuracy of Blackstone:

Last edited by Kineticdg; 04-14-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:12 AM
nydog
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 82 Posts

Actually 3700 miles on the oil

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
997 OilReports 4-22.pdf (55.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by nydog; 04-23-2022 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:26 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tapcon

To follow up on this I got my latest UOA yesterday and I saw almost the same viscosity as you (14.3 cSt), which is higher than the virgin sample as I noted above. I responded and asked Lake how the viscosity could be higher than the virgin sample. This was the response (he used to work for Driven so knows the product):
There is a spec range on every blend, so DI40 could be 14.5 cSt down to 13.5 cSt with the target viscosity being 14.0 cSt.

I also noticed much better oxidation and fuel dilution numbers now that I have been running DI40 for tens of thousands of miles compared to my first UOA right after I changed oils. Both OCIs were same mileage for similar intervals at almost the same time of year (both during winter blend fuel season). I am thinking about it more and further testing will answer this but I'm thinking that as the cross contamination wound down and was completely eliminated you can see improvements in these values. Lake also mentioned that DI40 holds less fuel in suspension than most oils, which is consistent with my understanding as well.
The following users liked this post:
tapcon (05-10-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:39 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

If anyone is looking for oil LN is running a 20% off sale now and I was surprised to see that it even applies to oil. I picked up another 12 pack of Driven DI40 (they shipped it within 30 minutes and it arrives tomorrow). I also saw:
Prices are going up a minimum of 7% across the board for all Driven products.

I figured that was coming so no surprise or complaints there..... but you can store oil for 2-3 years (maybe more) in controlled conditions without worry about additive separation. So if you need oil I don't have a crystal ball but there's probably not going to be a better time than now to stock up in the near future.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:45 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
If anyone is looking for oil LN is running a 20% off sale now and I was surprised to see that it even applies to oil. I picked up another 12 pack of Driven DI40 (they shipped it within 30 minutes and it arrives tomorrow). I also saw:
Prices are going up a minimum of 7% across the board for all Driven products.

I figured that was coming so no surprise or complaints there..... but you can store oil for 2-3 years (maybe more) in controlled conditions without worry about additive separation. So if you need oil I don't have a crystal ball but there's probably not going to be a better time than now to stock up in the near future.
You lucked out there. We had a problem with the sale rules which we corrected after you got your order in. We lost money on that one :-)

But yes, oil just keeps going up. There was a similar increase in Feb of this year on oil and with how things are going, it is only going to keep going up from here. Oil can be stored safely for years as long as it isn't opened.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:54 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Oh no, sorry about that. I thought it was such a fantastic deal I wanted everyone to know Feel free to cancel my order! LOL, I was very surprised, so surprised I almost ordered 5 12-packs including some for my dad but decided to just chill haha
Old 05-24-2022, 01:58 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Oh no, sorry about that. I thought it was such a fantastic deal I wanted everyone to know Feel free to cancel my order! LOL, I was very surprised, so surprised I almost ordered 5 12-packs including some for my dad but decided to just chill haha
Not a problem. It was my mistake. I guess early bird gets the worm!
Old 05-25-2022, 11:15 PM
emmed1
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Blackstone results on mine

2006 997.1 C4. Blackstone for some reason says 3.8L, but mine is 3.6L as it's a non-S if I'm correct. Also, I messed up with the intervals. Last oil change was actually 2 years ago and 6,000 miles. And, the last oil used may have been Mobil 1 or it could have been Liquimoly. Long story.....life, but now taking absolutely great care of it, would love any input. Just changed to Driven Racing BR30 before going to Driven Racing DT40.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by emmed1
2006 997.1 C4. Blackstone for some reason says 3.8L, but mine is 3.6L as it's a non-S if I'm correct. Also, I messed up with the intervals. Last oil change was actually 2 years ago and 6,000 miles. And, the last oil used may have been Mobil 1 or it could have been Liquimoly. Long story.....life, but now taking absolutely great care of it, would love any input. Just changed to Driven Racing BR30 before going to Driven Racing DT40.
I'm sorry, but those iron and copper wear numbers are high for only 4,000 miles. Should both be single digits at 5,000 miles with a good oil and your iron is almost double what I see at 1,000 miles fewer than my 5k mile change interval. I'd expect with the BR30 flush you've done and moving to DT40 that your next report will be considerably better and the one after that better yet again. If not, you have an engine bearing issue (not IMS bearing). With the low Zinc & Phosphorous numbers, this looks like Mobil 1 to me and glad you've moved to something better.
The following users liked this post:
Wayne Smith (05-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Another oil analysis