Sponsored by:

When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 04:11 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Yeah as of right now still thinking of selling it, but maybe ill have a change of heart once im sitting behind the wheel of it. It is going to be 100% sorted at this point, but im just emotionally detached from it at the moment.

If i sell it and decide to buy another sports car it might be one of the following: Audi TT-RS, new Toyota Supra or the new Corvette. However if decide with the latter two i might wait for another year, wouldnt really want to buy a first year of a completely new models. These are the couple of models that come to mind as of right but havent really been thinking much about it.
I had a first generation TTRS for 4 years. The last year of ownership overlapped my 911 ownership. I drove the TTRS maybe 3 times once I had the 911. Just didn't have the desire. They are very quick cars and with a few dollars in mods/tuning.. they are silly quick in a straight line. My TTRS got a built engine and APR Stage 2+ tuning. It would walk away from my 997 GTS. But as a sports car.. very disappointing. The dynamics of the car were so underwhelming. I know there is a newer TTRS, but the physics behind what held mine back remain unchanged.. so much weight up front, and an AWD system that is FWD primarily. I understand the newer Haldex systems are predictive.. but predictive AWD that favors the front wheels is still so lame. Great for going quick in a straight line while lacking in soul and character completely. The steering is very numb also. I didn't think much of it until I drove a 997. Just my .1c
Old 02-06-2020, 04:29 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
...I don’t know why the mobile web page keeps rotating this photo sorry.
You ether need to edit and rotate the photo prior to upload or turn the phone sideways when taking a pick. The phone is designed to be held horizontal for pictures.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:38 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
You ether need to edit and rotate the photo prior to upload or turn the phone sideways when taking a pick. The phone is designed to be held horizontal for pictures.

I tried rotating 2 times 90 degrees both ways prior to upload and it still reverts to the wrong orientation. I am left retaking the pic in landscape I guess.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Yeah as of right now still thinking of selling it, but maybe ill have a change of heart once im sitting behind the wheel of it. It is going to be 100% sorted at this point, but im just emotionally detached from it at the moment.

If i sell it and decide to buy another sports car it might be one of the following: Audi TT-RS, new Toyota Supra or the new Corvette. However if decide with the latter two i might wait for another year, wouldnt really want to buy a first year of a completely new models. These are the couple of models that come to mind as of right but havent really been thinking much about it.

How much would any of those cost? I bet the TT-RS may be service-prone.

One of my employees said something to me that made sense. Why not get a Honda S2000 and drive the stink out of it. Had I bought the Acura NSX I almost bought in 2000, I'd be way ahead of the curve today after losing hundreds of thousands on exotics.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Yeah, I’d be thinking Japanese to keep the possibility of major repairs/problems to a minimum.

So that begs the question: is the Supra going to require a lot of maintenance like a German car would, or will it live up to its name and reputation of a Toyota?

Granted, Toyota and Porsche are actually pretty much tied for reliability, but not for repairs/maintenance. That win goes to Toyota.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:56 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't image Porsche is on par with Toyota's reliability. Are there studies to back that up?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:58 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
wait a bit and see how you feel...

That being said I happen to be at the Toyota dealer today waiting for a replacement key to be coded and well, the Supra looks like an awesome car. This one is 57K.

I don’t know why the mobile web page keeps rotating this photo sorry.
correction. Msrp is 57k but these guys have a 5k dealer markup on the 2 floor models.

i am stuck waiting here for my wife’s car. Ask me anything about the Supra.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

imho there is no comparison here. from a design standpoint the toyotas are alot less complex and some of there engine designs are used for about 15 years (i.e the 3.5L v6 that's used in a multitude of lexus/toyota products). they keep tweaking them refining them over time. the engines run relatively cool, and their cooling systems imo are more then enough to ensure minimal heat related internal issues developing over time. not to mention they aren't made with the purpose of squeezing every bit of high performance out of their engines/transmissions.

i am always scratching my head when I read that porsche has stellar reliability from certain magazines and advertising firms that do the ratings - i dont have to even look further then my own friends dealing with headaches with their next to new Porsches.

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
I can't image Porsche is on par with Toyota's reliability. Are there studies to back that up?

not sure about the supra, as it's a joint venture with bmw. anyone know where the car is actually made?

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Yeah, I’d be thinking Japanese to keep the possibility of major repairs/problems to a minimum.

So that begs the question: is the Supra going to require a lot of maintenance like a German car would, or will it live up to its name and reputation of a Toyota?

Granted, Toyota and Porsche are actually pretty much tied for reliability, but not for repairs/maintenance. That win goes to Toyota.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:05 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
not sure about the supra, as it's a joint venture with bmw. anyone know where the car is actually made?
The Supra is a BMW. It's jointly designed with BMW but BMW is the manufacturer.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:50 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Dont really mean to resurrect this depressing thread but i though it was fitting. So last night my only other car's (Toyota 4Runner) alternator went out. So now im car-less in general LOL! I promise, things will get better

Bronz....just step away from the cars for a while....I think it's time for a honda scooter and a giant helmet.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:08 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mujeriega
The Supra is a BMW. It's jointly designed with BMW but BMW is the manufacturer.

Of course. It's NOTHING Toyota. Yes, the interior and bits are Toyota, and they tweaked the chassis, but it's a BMW at the end of the day....for good or bad. You want Japanese or Korean dependability, they have to be made there. And I would not count Nissan in that group anymore. My good friend just lemon-lawed her Infinity.

I think that waiting six months may help with the pain of what happened. When I lost the PDK on my 2015 GTS w/ 10k miles I was SO mad....especially at how Porsche and the dealer handled it. You guys saw my posts. I busted a nut. Now I'm la-de-da. In love again. That's how the brain protects us.

I shudder to say this, but a WRX looks like a ton-o-fun. And they don't seem to depreciate much AT ALL. The problem is you may have to wear a baseball cap backwards and adapt a Folgers coffee can as an exhaust

Another choice...and I mentioned this in another forum....the Alfa Romeo Giulia QV. You can get a $79k 2017 buyback w/ 8,000 miles and factory warranty for $42k. Get 3 more years of warranty for a total of 4 years for $2060. I'd buy a lemon law in a second IF I knew why it was bought back. Most of them were because at launch they could not figure out a software problem, now solved. SUPER dependable due to a Ferrari-designed engine and the amazingly dependable, bulletproof, and fast ZF 8HP transmission. THRILLING. It held the Nurburgring record for sedans until the $250k Jag beat it.

But as I said, the pain seemed to go away for me. Hope it does for you.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
Kinda.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...content=topbar

I’m not one to put too much stake into these ‘studies,’ any more than studies that show coffee is good for you, then bad for you, then good for you, etc.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:03 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Kinda.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...content=topbar

I’m not one to put too much stake into these ‘studies,’ any more than studies that show coffee is good for you, then bad for you, then good for you, etc.

Porsche 911's are weekend cars the vast majority of the time. Average maybe 3k miles a year while other cars get at least 4 times the use. I wouldn't trust that study for a moment. They also list the Mini Cooper as most dependable in its class but every owner knows they fall apart. The other thing is Porsche owners often time give Porsche a pass they sometimes don't deserve because they are so in love with them. Like a bat-**** crazy girlfriend that's super hot. The proof is in the forums....especially in the "Sticky" section.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 03:11 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

This streak of bad luck just can't go on. Most everything luck related averages out with time. I would like to think you've reached the bottom of the curve by now. You say you're emotionally detached from the 997 at the moment which is easily understandable. But have you thought about the possibility of a renewed attachment to it once it's gone if you go that route? Maybe it's been too much at this point but I would at least give it a few minutes to consider the possibility that you'll miss it if you sell it.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:48 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

BEFORE you sell it PLEASE drive the FFFFFF out of it. At least one time. After break-in of course. By reputation, Raby’s 4.0s are invincible, am I right? Take it on the Tail of The Dragon or to a track day and just tear up some asphalt.

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK