Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Not to be a downer, but I have a friend with pancreas and liver cancer. She’s 41 and dying, leaving a husband and young kids behind.

As bad as bad luck for a car can be, one disastrous and unlucky car problem costing upwards of $50k, at least there can be some relief knowing you can rid yourself of the problem just be writing a big, fat, check.

Baz, if it wasn’t for bad luck, you’d have no luck at all.

I hope this experience builds character and health for years to come, along with pain-free transportation (just don’t fly Spirit Airlines).
The following 6 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
Alex Koutin (06-01-2020), alexb76 (01-30-2020), Big Swole (02-09-2020), Kodiak535 (01-29-2020), myw (01-29-2020), Sylverlee (01-30-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:09 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you all for the kind words, i appreaciate it. This is great community and ill be sad to leave it behind for some time, but i think it will be for the better. I know its not the end of the world, but it has definitely left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I was ok footing the bill for the engine rebuild, but having PDK go right after has knocked me down. Sometimes the line has to be drawn somewhere. I know some of you have asked for the expenses list, and i will be posting that in my for sale ad whenever im ready to post the car for sale. I need to gather all the documentation, get the car prepped for a photoshoot and go from there.

If any of you know anybody that may possibly be interested in the car, send them my way. The car is currently at LN Engineering so they may possibly be willing to do a PPI for a potential buyer (havent asked them).

@Mike Murphy i agree, health is everything. Ive been kind of sick for the last couple weeks and theres nothing better in the world when youre healthy and at your 100%. Money doesnt matter when youre ill, you feel like you would give it all away just to feel healthy again.
The following 6 users liked this post by bronz:
Alex Koutin (06-01-2020), andy2 (02-05-2020), Big Swole (02-09-2020), myw (01-29-2020), qikqbn (01-30-2020), SFZ GT3 (02-11-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:27 PM
Kodiak535
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Probably $24K on the engine and $16K on the transmission.

Yves
Ah, so about the same cost as an afternoon’s worth of fuel for your Wally. 😉
The following users liked this post:
yvesvidal (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:31 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Bronz - so sorry to hear about your terrible luck. That 1-2 punch is tough to swallow. I definitely understand the feeling of the need to move on. Best of luck to you and here's to hoping your next car is nothing but smile-filled trouble-free motoring.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:41 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Thank you all for the kind words, i appreaciate it. This is great community and ill be sad to leave it behind for some time, but i think it will be for the better. I know its not the end of the world, but it has definitely left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I was ok footing the bill for the engine rebuild, but having PDK go right after has knocked me down. Sometimes the line has to be drawn somewhere. I know some of you have asked for the expenses list, and i will be posting that in my for sale ad whenever im ready to post the car for sale. I need to gather all the documentation, get the car prepped for a photoshoot and go from there.

If any of you know anybody that may possibly be interested in the car, send them my way. The car is currently at LN Engineering so they may possibly be willing to do a PPI for a potential buyer (havent asked them).

@Mike Murphy i agree, health is everything. Ive been kind of sick for the last couple weeks and theres nothing better in the world when youre healthy and at your 100%. Money doesnt matter when youre ill, you feel like you would give it all away just to feel healthy again.
It sucks to go through what you're going through. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Before you do decide, take some time away and especially if this was your daily driver, test drive what your replacement would be and see if you'd be happy with that for the next decade. If you see yourself right back here in a few months, you'll be kicking yourself then for getting rid of your car and trying to find anything as well sorted out then.

Along the same lines, if you decide to sell, see if you can sell to a RL (or someone else) who would sell it back to you at a pre-determined price/timeline. This could allow you to let go, let someone else enjoy it and then choose to get back in if you realize that you only needed a break, not a full divorce.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:52 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Totally understand the desire to move on, and the person getting this car will get the most sorted 997.2 in the Western Hemisphere.
Maybe that lucky person should be you
The following 2 users liked this post by roadie13:
anewman (01-29-2020), SFZ GT3 (02-11-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 03:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Wow, I can't believe this. I feel so bad for you.

Are you sure there's not a way to jump start that transmission again maybe with a current dealer PIWIS. I would certainly talk to Mike and Tom and TPC Racing and Tony Callas to see if they think there's any hope.

I don't know what's involved with a PDK to MT swap, but that might be worth looking into. Let's yiu get the car back on the road for less money with a good salvage Aisin trans and let's you enjoy all the other work and expense you have in it.

There's not much else like a 997 with a rear seat that has a similar driving experience but I bet a c8 Corvette with a warranty is probably looking pretty good to you right now, and wouldn't blame you. A Mustang GT350 / GT350R isn't any better from a powertrian reliability standpoint.

If you do decide to go through with the sale, sorry to see you go.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:34 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

You have what must be the most famous 997.2 in the world, and most of these reasons are negatives-turned-to-positives. I doubt that there is any more scrutinized or carefully put together Raby engine in the world -- a big, big plus. There is value just in all of us following the ongoing saga of that car, and I suspect the the Big Three (Charles, Jake, and Baz) will remain keenly interested. Don't sell out too cheaply!

My solution to my own scoring/rebuild has been to amortize the unreasonable expenses by keeping it forever, but I truly and personally know the feelings you are experiencing. There are more important things in this world . . .
Old 01-29-2020, 09:07 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 542 Posts

This sounds like a good crowdfunding story. This is a hard luck story if I ever heard one. I also followed along in real time to his original thread and feel badly for Bronz. After all that, that's a real kick in the nuts.

Hate to see you go after all that. Maybe with enough publicity we can get a sponser with some crowdsourcing get you back in the game. Just a thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
bronz (02-03-2020), TheTorch (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 09:38 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

After all you have been through to have this happen so soon after getting back up and running is a real gut punch. No two ways about that. Engines break, it happens. Fix it and move on. To experience this kind of grief and financial heartache over repairing a dang tranny is ridiculous. On this score, Porsche owns it and they are greedy sockcuckers for it.

I hope you enjoy the kind of good health that gains perspective from adversity. I'm guessing your married and if she is hanging in there with you through all this, I would love to meet her cause I have never met a living saint before.

Maybe give it a few days before deciding what's next. Best of luck in the future.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:22 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Sleep on it a bit before you decide to let it go you might change you mind. Hell you basically have replaced anything that could ever go wrong.

While I would never second guess someone's opinion and I respect his wishes I agree with you. The major sh*t already went down. Sometimes it simply takes the fun out and it's difficult to re-frame it mentally.

I've been there.

So sorry Bronz

Old 01-30-2020, 10:26 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Bronz, Oh man, I hate to see this happen to you, or any other "friend" in the forums. This is so painful.

Makes us sad to see a fellow P-Car enthusiast like yourself take such set backs. We were all rooting for you when you took the 4.0 engine plunge and hoping that it would bring you joy and make it all worth it. You got major respect for trying to salvage one bad situation, but Now this... Ugh!

Honestly, something like this would take the wind out of most of our sails. I joke with my wife every once in awhile about selling everything and moving to a small beach hut in Thailand for $1000 bucks a month and all I have to worry about is wearing sun screen... Sometimes the up keep and maintenance of things that are suppose to bring us joy in life, and I am not just talking about cars, just gets overwhelming and a simpler life is very tempting. I can totally sympathize with how you are feeling after this.

Keep us all posted on how it all turns out. We absolutely wish you the best outcome for this tough situation. We would hate to see ya go, but we understand, and thanks for always sharing your journey with us.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Maybe Porsche would do something to help Baz out.
Kodiak535 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

That sucks.

Of course, at this point, you've paid for the two most expensive components in the car. Even feeling burned by the car, you're sitting on what is essentially a new vehicle--and I assume the new PDK has a warranty.

Maybe drive the car and squeeze some enjoyment out of it before you sell it?
Ironman88 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 12:40 PM
UnoMas
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is like a funeral...
I am new to Porsches, but long into boats and there is nothing like a boat to put expenses in perspective. More boats get sold for cheap after the owner has just sunk big money into it to have most of the big issues fixed. Sometimes you cannot get past the past.
If you have the ability to give it some time you might look at this differently in 6 months. If not, I agree with the others that your car would fetch a premium here based on the audience.
TheTorch (02-03-2020)

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK