Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 01:03 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Oh man, this is pailful to read. As others have pointed out, you're essentially driving a new(ish) car now. However, I can understand how you would feel jaded regarding the entire Porsche ownership experience at this point.

Not knowing your personal/financial situation, I know I would be looking to off-load the car to recoup some of my losses. Not to mention the "It's me or the car!" lecture I would be receiving from my wife if I had to explain not one, but two repair bills that were well into the five-figure range for a car I don't need.

We'd love to see you stick around and find enjoyment in your car, despite what you've gone through. When/if you do decide to sell, I hope you receive top dollar for it.

Best of luck.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Bummer..... nothing to be said.

I should never have given Porsche my business again after two engine failures.... those experiences changed my view of them. It went from reverence to something just above my feelings about GM. Seriously. They are not some highfalutin group of engineering priests building purity. They are a mass-production, consumer product company who has a team of genius marketing folks. That is it and it is no more. I do enjoy their product and brand very much, but I don't revere them.

Sometime lighting will strike the same place twice... or more.

Thanx for your posts.... sad to see you go.... but very understandable.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Interesting to see the parallels with Boeing, another company that put profits ahead of engineering.

Sorry - perhaps a bit off topic. To the OP, sorry for your misfortune.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:17 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 389 Posts

Bronz I've passed this info along to my friend as per your and my conversation. This would be a fantastic car to purchase. I would love to be the new owner.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:53 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
Interesting to see the parallels with Boeing, another company that put profits ahead of engineering.

Sorry - perhaps a bit off topic. To the OP, sorry for your misfortune.
Certainly is off topic - however the major distinction with Boeing is that their failure (specific to the 737 Max) resulted in the deaths of 346 people.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:35 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

Dont really mean to resurrect this depressing thread but i though it was fitting. So last night my only other car's (Toyota 4Runner) alternator went out. So now im car-less in general LOL! I promise, things will get better
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (02-09-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:56 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Sounds like Uber is you (bestest) friend!
bronz (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Dont really mean to resurrect this depressing thread but i though it was fitting. So last night my only other car's (Toyota 4Runner) alternator went out. So now im car-less in general LOL! I promise, things will get better
Damn! Can't catch a break. But that alternator is super easy to change. 45 min job.

Cw
bronz (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 11:17 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

mine is a V8 model so its all the way on the bottom sandwiched between the block and power steering pump. Already started working on it yesterday and almost have it out. Should be able to finish it tonight!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Current thread title: “When it rains, it pours...”
Suggested edit: “My 100-yr flood”
Old 02-06-2020, 11:30 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

mine is a V8 model so its all the way on the bottom sandwiched between the block and power steering pump. Already started working on it yesterday and almost have it out. Should be able to finish it tonight!
Have you decided to stick with your decision to sell he 911? Any ideas on what you would replace it with or the budget you would allocate to it?
Old 02-06-2020, 11:58 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Yeah as of right now still thinking of selling it, but maybe ill have a change of heart once im sitting behind the wheel of it. It is going to be 100% sorted at this point, but im just emotionally detached from it at the moment.

If i sell it and decide to buy another sports car it might be one of the following: Audi TT-RS, new Toyota Supra or the new Corvette. However if decide with the latter two i might wait for another year, wouldnt really want to buy a first year of a completely new models. These are the couple of models that come to mind as of right but havent really been thinking much about it.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Yeah as of right now still thinking of selling it, but maybe ill have a change of heart once im sitting behind the wheel of it. It is going to be 100% sorted at this point, but im just emotionally detached from it at the moment.

If i sell it and decide to buy another sports car it might be one of the following: Audi TT-RS, new Toyota Supra or the new Corvette. However if decide with the latter two i might wait for another year, wouldnt really want to buy a first year of a completely new models. These are the couple of models that come to mind as of right but havent really been thinking much about it.
I bet I'd you kept the 997 for that 1 year waiting period on the others you're considering, you'd be in love all over again and would end up keeping it. Just saying - at this point make the decision mostly with your head and not with your temporarily broken heart.
linderpat (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 03:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Oh man, this is pailful to read. As others have pointed out, you're essentially driving a new(ish) car now. However, I can understand how you would feel jaded regarding the entire Porsche ownership experience at this point.
Not knowing your personal/financial situation, I know I would be looking to off-load the car to recoup some of my losses. Not to mention the "It's me or the car!" lecture I would be receiving from my wife if I had to explain not one, but two repair bills that were well into the five-figure range for a car I don't need.
We'd love to see you stick around and find enjoyment in your car, despite what you've gone through. When/if you do decide to sell, I hope you receive top dollar for it.
Best of luck.
Regarding explaining to the wife---> When dealing with my wife of 26 years, when it comes to car costs/repair costs/etc I have always used the 2/3rd's rule, In some cases the 50% rule, and in rare cases the 30% rule.
In Bronz's situation I would have used the 30% rule resulting in my wife being much more calm and understanding.
So hopefully Bronz used the 30% rule in his situation which should result in a better overall outcome.
All the best Bronz!

Last edited by groovzilla; 02-06-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:36 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I think dependability for all of those other replacements would be worse than your car.... even with a 2nd year model. Personally, I like the Supra if getting that, would just wait for the BMW depreciation to hit the Z4 and get one used in 3-5 yrs at a significant drop to MSRP... as my other car.

I don't think depreciation on the C8 will be the same so if you're really looking there, I would probably just get it new... like you said, in the 2nd model yr or later.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:37 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

wait a bit and see how you feel...

That being said I happen to be at the Toyota dealer today waiting for a replacement key to be coded and well, the Supra looks like an awesome car. This one is 57K.

I don’t know why the mobile web page keeps rotating this photo sorry.

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours - replacing the PDK