Sponsored by:

Mezger turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 04:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Don't you have annual emsission and equipment inspections up there? How are you going to pass the CO sniffer and visual test with mufflers or cats bypassed and O2 sensors spaced and at 90 degrees? Are you going to put the stock parts back on once a year? What about if you get pulled over for noise & the cop checks?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Don't you have annual emsission and equipment inspections up there? How are you going to pass the CO sniffer and visual test with mufflers or cats bypassed and O2 sensors spaced and at 90 degrees? Are you going to put the stock parts back on once a year? What about if you get pulled over for noise & the cop checks?
What he said. I'm in Southern California and this is asking for trouble, I can't imagine New York is any better as I know they've adopted our emission standards. It shouldn't be really loud as many folks run the turbos without a muffler and it's aggressive but not deafening. Most usually run a x-over rather than straight out though. I don't claim to understand the physics but I thought the longer pipe was needed for proper draw.

Dumb question, but what is the purpose of the 90 deg bends on the rear O2 sensors? I assume it's to prevent a CEL but what is the mechanism that makes it work?

Good luck, we're all watching this real time experiment intently.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997

Dumb question, but what is the purpose of the 90 deg bends on the rear O2 sensors? I assume it's to prevent a CEL but what is the mechanism that makes it work?

Good luck, we're all watching this real time experiment intently.
The 90 on the O2 sensors and pulling them out of the direct exhaust stream makes them less sensitive so they're less likely to throw a CEL when you run less than a 200 cell cat or no cat at all. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Good hi-flow cats (like HJSs from Fabspeed) really don't restrict flow all that much, especially with a turbo, so I find it's better to upgrade the cat but keep the normal O2 sensor function.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:48 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

The 90 on the O2 sensors and pulling them out of the direct exhaust stream makes them less sensitive so they're less likely to throw a CEL when you run less than a 200 cell cat or no cat at all. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Good hi-flow cats (like HJSs from Fabspeed) really don't restrict flow all that much, especially with a turbo, so I find it's better to upgrade the cat but keep the normal O2 sensor function.
Thanks, makes sense. Agree with your conclusions regarding hi-flow cats as it's also more likely to pass smog inspection unless the tech is really on the ball.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:15 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Lmao

The following users liked this post:
bschurr (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Very cinematic thread. The foggy photos build up an atmosphere of confusion and creeping dread and then that gruesome jump scare out of nowhere.

Last edited by Skwerl; 02-03-2020 at 06:23 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Skwerl:
DanielW (10-14-2020), fftfk (04-21-2023), groovzilla (12-22-2021), jaredomin (01-31-2020), jayhawkai (08-19-2021), Metaphysician (04-17-2023), Steve 911 (02-04-2020), TheTorch (02-06-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:52 PM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts
Default I ❤️ NY

Originally Posted by jaredomin
Lmao

@jaredomin knows...
No one gets pulled over for that crap in NY and if they do their attorney “takes care of it”.

And, if you need an inspection sticker, “I got a guy”.

I ❤️ NY
The following 2 users liked this post by bschurr:
Frank Abe (10-06-2020), jaredomin (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:06 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Lmao
So Jared are you going to fill us in? What happened, saws-all get away from you? Fit of rage? Just don't like mufflers? I get it as I'm looking to pull the muffler off my 997.2 turbo and replace it with the Sharkwerks crossover pipes. The turbos are far too quiet stock for my taste. You could have pulled it and put it on Ebay though.

Dude - We are starting to get a little worried like maybe it's time for an intervention. I know the car has high miles but it's still pretty valuable. Easy does it!
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
DanielW (10-14-2020), maplefrm (02-02-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:13 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by PV997
So Jared are you going to fill us in? What happened, saws-all get away from you? Fit of rage? Just don't like mufflers? I get it as I'm looking to pull the muffler off my 997.2 turbo and replace it with the Sharkwerks crossover pipes. The turbos are far too quiet stock for my taste. You could have pulled it and put it on Ebay though.

Dude - We are starting to get a little worried like maybe it's time for an intervention. I know the car has high miles but it's still pretty valuable. Easy does it!

rusty hardware, tight spaces, doing things i should be doing with the motor out, more rusty hardware 🤬, the dire need to get the motor re-supported.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:49 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 249 Posts

Could have taken it to a shop and they could use a torch on the hardware and most likely got it all freed up quickly without destroying the entire muffler.

DanielW (10-14-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 03:05 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by TheDeckMan
Could have taken it to a shop and they could use a torch on the hardware and most likely got it all freed up quickly without destroying the entire muffler.
not going anywhere with the motor unsupported
Old 02-01-2020, 04:59 PM
jaredomin
Pro

You ever have a good time and a bad time at the same time? 😂

shhhhh.. just keep watching. And if any of you are questioning my tactics, then i would invite you to perform this under the same circumstances exactly and tell me how you'd do it.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And if any of you are questioning my tactics, then i would invite you to perform this under the same circumstances exactly and tell me how you'd do it.
I think maybe that's our point - we wouldn't really attempt to perform this under the same circumstances. We'd rent a lift bay or shop space or take it somewhere, but that's also the reason we also can't look away...

I just hope one of those Noreasters doesn't hit mid-project as the plows aren't likely to be very forgiving - fingers crossed that you're parked on the correct side of the street when it happens
DanielW (10-14-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 01:09 AM
jaredomin
Pro

I think maybe that's our point - we wouldn't really attempt to perform this under the same circumstances. We'd rent a lift bay or shop space or take it somewhere, but that's also the reason we also can't look away...

I just hope one of those Noreasters doesn't hit mid-project as the plows aren't likely to be very forgiving - fingers crossed that you're parked on the correct side of the street when it happens

yea, this isnt how i would have liked things to go if im being honest. This was my first time attempting anything of this magnitude on the car so ive deff learned a few lessons on how the car is put together!
ill just know better for next time. 💪🏼
Old 02-02-2020, 11:11 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

yea, this isnt how i would have liked things to go if im being honest. This was my first time attempting anything of this magnitude on the car so ive deff learned a few lessons on how the car is put together!
ill just know better for next time. 💪🏼
We're pulling for you, hang in there. I'll never forget a long time ago my car broke down and I ended up dropping the fuel tank and replacing the pump on some shabby North Hollywood street thirty miles from my house. I couldn't afford a tow truck back then so I went for it. Had it on jack stands and was draining fuel in some strange neighborhood where I didn't know anyone. Lots of shady people coming and going, there was probably a drug dealer on the street. Someone finally must have called the cops on me but I was nearly done when they came by and they were cool about it. Plus they were LAPD and had bigger fish to fry. Not to mention what I was doing wasn't the smartest thing but I don't think it was illegal.

Long story short everything worked out okay but it's not something I would ever do again. Get this behind you and enjoy the car, the turbo truly is special.
jaredomin (02-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Mezger turbo!