Sponsored by:

Mezger turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 05:13 AM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Lol. What you don't appreciate all the pointless bore scoring threads and the never-ending handwringing? How about the endless search for "peace of mind" by purchasing the best aftermarket warranty? For a car that can do 190 mph and take curves at three times the posted limits, there sure are an awful lot of owners with a near-zero risk tolerance.

Keep it up Jared, your posts are always entertaining and remind me of my own misspent youth. Sooner or later it will be time to get serious so enjoy it while you can. Make sure you put some cash away now though as compound interest is an amazing thing.
Agreed. Also an honorable mention for new buyers that are dying to have a 997 because Porsche is suddenly, "in" asking about IMS bearings and replacements for 997 06 and up lol..

Keep wrenching kid, don't overdue yourself or get into debt over this stuff, and enjoy all this while you can
The following 3 users liked this post by Vince Vincent:
coaldrag413 (08-27-2021), jaredomin (09-07-2021), PowderJunkie (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 06:44 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

for the love of god please don't try this at home.

Found one water leak, Then the car decided to start leaking water in an entirely different section of the car (i think it was from me picking at the window seals)
(DONT PICK)

i couldnt help it. they were soooo done 😂

i collected this car with about 1000000 problems (about 1/2 i wasnt told about) and literally couldnt believe i drove it straight home from Florida. German cars fuggin rock. Theyre needy, but they will take care of you til their very last breathe. i was originally going to keep it and s54 swap it but then i started day dreaming about aprilias 😵‍💫🤤 one thing lead to another and now i have a deposit on a rsv mille R (DOH) The guy has been sooooooo kool about me just jerking his chain for about 3 weeks now while i rush to fix this desolate piece of garbage. i really wish this car was just marginally less ****ty so i could've posted it already. As i absolutely refuse to sell anyone something ****ty. I tell people “it dont cost me nothin”which is an absolute lie as its been costing me my sanity. Its all my fault tho so i cant complain. 😂

Still a decent amount of work left. Wish me luck. I need to get this car tf out of here b4 i lose it. 🤪

Old 08-27-2021, 01:25 AM
jaredomin
Pro

ohhhh mannnn ebay

giving me all types of ideas 😂
Old 08-27-2021, 09:33 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I love this thread like I love lamp. Please keep posting and updating!
Old 08-27-2021, 06:01 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredomin
im pretty sure the tip is an electro open horse crap diff or atleast thats what it feels like. idk, tip is AWEsome when working properly for the very very few situations it was intended for. So i dont want to knock the tip by anymeans. The tip plus the awd imo is the true everyday supercar. i could drive that car alllllll day long no complaints, and then once the sun got low i could line it up with just about anything brake boost it and shoot off into the darkness with my brake lights glaring into your face. As far as the circuitry comment. The box is sealed and i plan on selling the unit so im going to leave it as is. Im pretty sure this is the EXACT reason why 9ff doesnt want their parts coming to the USA, and why it was a total B¡tch to get any of there stuff here. I literally had to trick them to get this piece 😂. That being said who buys an automatic 911 like cmon. Maybe if you have like 3 other 911s.
Let me know if you convert it to a manual, I will buy the tip trans and put it in my wife’s ls1 996. The gear ratio will help a bit
Old 08-27-2021, 07:05 PM
TexRedC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Love the thread! Shows me you can take these cars apart, fix, upgrade, and personalize. Can’t believe what jaredomin has done. But the best part is, you can do the work outside, in front of the house and in the weather! I don’t need to overthink the work, just need to chase the dream and dive in. Very cool!

give us an update!
The following users liked this post:
jaredomin (09-07-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:42 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Let me know if you convert it to a manual, I will buy the tip trans and put it in my wife’s ls1 996. The gear ratio will help a bit

how about you buy it and ill make it manual 😂
Old 08-29-2021, 07:46 PM
jaredomin
Pro

i wouldnt wish water leaks on my worst enemy
Old 08-29-2021, 07:57 PM
jaredomin
Pro

a jalopy 911 and some aprilias will surely lessen the sting of the thought of putting this all back tg

Last edited by jaredomin; 09-02-2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:04 AM
jaredomin
Pro

After an insurmountable amount of man hours delving deep into the case of the water leak mystery, im left with this. If you don't want water in your car don't leave it out in the rain.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:13 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Old 09-02-2021, 02:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

None of my 997s leak when left out in the rain or driven through very heavy rain. This leak that now exists was not present from the factory. Best way to find a water leak is with an intake smoke machine. put it in the cabin with everything closed up and watch to see where the smoke emanates from - there's the path to your water leak. I'm guessing yours is a result from the rear window or roof change - not sure coating it with sealing spray is the right solution.
DanielW (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 04:53 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by Petza914
None of my 997s leak when left out in the rain or driven through very heavy rain. This leak that now exists was not present from the factory. Best way to find a water leak is with an intake smoke machine. put it in the cabin with everything closed up and watch to see where the smoke emanates from - there's the path to your water leak. I'm guessing yours is a result from the rear window or roof change - not sure coating it with sealing spray is the right solution.

Wouldnt be the first bmw design that could be improved on. Secondly water always wins. Furthermore did you not see how far i took this investigation? I tore just about the ENTIRE car apart.
for a water leak. all just to find a stupid design. STUPUID.

Last edited by jaredomin; 09-02-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,472 Likes on 4,122 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredomin
Wouldnt be the first bmw design that could be improved on. Secondly water always wins. Furthermore did you not see how far i took this investigation? I tore just about the ENTIRE car apart.
for a water leak. all just to find a stupid design. STUPUID.
I didn't realize this was in the BMW and not the 997 project. My bad. I can tell you where it comes from in the BMW though as the X5 I got my daughter flooded the rear seat floor every time it rained. So if you look at the way the windows fit into the doors, the window doesn't have an outer seal like most cars do. The water is actually designed to run into and then out of the bottom of the door - dumbest design - like you say.

What happens is there is a moisture barrier inside the door and each door panel clip has a seal around it that's supposed to keep the water in the door and not let it migrate in, but at the rear of the door it finds a path into the car above the threshold piece on the back angle then flows down into the floor and floods it. If you take the doors apart and use new seals on those panel clips and reseal the inner door panel with either silicone or butyl ribbon sealer so the water then goes where it's supposed to, it won't leak anymore - at least her car hasn't for 2 years since I fixed it and it stays outside all the time.
DanielW (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:22 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Youre a smart man petza

little more bmw progress. Every step is a step closer to V60 🤤

Quick Reply: Mezger turbo!