Sponsored by:

Mezger turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 06:56 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredomin
...i have an insatiable urge to modify the crap out of everything i get my hands on, so the mods usually dont stop until the car is getting sold 😂...

When I read this post by Jared, I laughed so hard that I almost hurt myself...this quote sums up this entire thread in a clean little nut shell.

Jared, your "Car Guy" status has been questioned by some on this forum but let me say this without any uncertainties...Jared, YOU ARE UNDOUBTEDLY A TRUE CAR GUY!!! The definition of a car guy, IMHO, is broad...some simply like to talk about or read about cars (they know about and appreciate all types of fine cars), others like to work on/modify cars (this is Jared), some hate to work on cars but love to drive/track great cars (I fall into this category), some like to...whatever the case may be, let me assure everyone, Jared IS a car guy. Anyone willing to lay on their back on a cold NY street in the middle of Winter in an attempt to improve the performance of their already epic car, is a true car guy in my book.

Personally, I would have left the 997TT alone and enjoyed the epic ride but, hey, that's just me. The fact that Jared looked at this awesome 997TT and said "let's modify this bitch", makes me think that he may actually be MORE of a car guy than me.

BTW, I concur with those of you that said that many of the photos here fired up their OCD...OTOH, go Jared!
The following 7 users liked this post by DreamCarrera:
hoofdpijn (08-20-2021), jaredomin (08-23-2021), JohnCA58 (08-21-2021), peladex (08-25-2021), PowderJunkie (08-25-2021), Snakebit (08-20-2021), work_truck (09-20-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-20-2021, 09:02 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
When I read this post by Jared, I laughed so hard that I almost hurt myself...this quote sums up this entire thread in a clean little nut shell.

Jared, your "Car Guy" status has been questioned by some on this forum but let me say this without any uncertainties...Jared, YOU ARE UNDOUBTEDLY A TRUE CAR GUY!!! The definition of a car guy, IMHO, is broad...some simply like to talk about or read about cars (they know about and appreciate all types of fine cars), others like to work on/modify cars (this is Jared), some hate to work on cars but love to drive/track great cars (I fall into this category), some like to...whatever the case may be, let me assure everyone, Jared IS a car guy. Anyone willing to lay on their back on a cold NY street in the middle of Winter in an attempt to improve the performance of their already epic car, is a true car guy in my book.

Personally, I would have left the 997TT alone and enjoyed the epic ride but, hey, that's just me. The fact that Jared looked at this awesome 997TT and said "let's modify this bitch", makes me think that he may actually be MORE of a car guy than me.

BTW, I concur with those of you that said that many of the photos here fired up their OCD...OTOH, go Jared!
Good point. I agree that OP is a car guy that likes to mod. The problem that some people have is that he is just not showing the proper respect towards the 997 Turbo. Some of the things that he has done to the 997 Turbo is like what a broke college kid would do to a beater Honda Civic. I think that's what pissed off some of the people on the forums.
The following 2 users liked this post by J.Tan:
997Troy (11-08-2021), DanielW (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 11:27 AM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Consider someone actually get pi**ed off about....... Well, what someone is doing to their own car.

It's the internet though. People look at their phones and tablets to find something to get pi**ed regardless. We are a funny species.
The following users liked this post:
hoofdpijn (08-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:42 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Tan
Good point. I agree that OP is a car guy that likes to mod. The problem that some people have is that he is just not showing the proper respect towards the 997 Turbo. Some of the things that he has done to the 997 Turbo is like what a broke college kid would do to a beater Honda Civic. I think that's what pissed off some of the people on the forums.
Most water cooled porsche are glorified volkswagens. So the whole respect thing is kind of out the window for me. And as far as broke college civic mods. The carbon roof came out like crap, which will soon be remedied. And RS cars come with plastic windows so i guess those are civics too. Other than that i've used pretty much all porsche genuine parts. Just keep watching. Past year and a half has been ROUGH for me. Things are turning around though and so will this build. Quality builds dont happen over night. its a learning experience that should also be FUN
maekwl (08-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 03:46 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
love to drive/track great cars (I fall into this category), some like to...whatever the case may be,
i aspire to be the “drives the car” car guy one day

and that day has come muckaluckas

uber eats anyone? 😂😭
PowderJunkie (08-25-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:01 PM
jaredomin
Pro

And since rennlist doesnt do sht for me for all the views i get heres a shameless plug

Do you enjoy this build thread? Are you looking to buy a home? Then look no further.

https://emortgagecapital.com/officers/jared-domin/

Last edited by jaredomin; 08-20-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 464 Likes on 296 Posts

Hang in there kid. You could be doing worse things. But I gotta say - stay focused on you Porsche. Messing with all that other stuff/cars is distracting you and hurting our eyes and brains.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sporty:
997Troy (11-08-2021), jaredomin (08-23-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 04:24 PM
DanielW
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO you also have to look at the economic impacts on your wallet and market place acceptance of mods. This comes in the costs:
  • De-value of your original investment. It may be hard to find a buyer whose inclination to either like your modifications or willing to live with them. You need to find a buyer that has the wallet to re-do or fix irregularities did not turn out that well when unmolested cars are readily available for the same money or just slightly more. Mods which affect electronic components can be hard to track down and mysterious once you take a turn out of the stock realm. I think we have all seen dash's with random wires hanging whether it was a bad PCM install or even worse removed the whole dash and it never went back in the way things were, missing retainers, fasteners yielding strange sounds/noises/rattles when driving.
  • Breaking things while trying to get to the part you really want to replace. This adds unnecessary costs. You can call it an educational experience if you want and your paying bit by bit to learn how to not break expensive components. Just trashing your way into exhaust systems, dashboards, rear ends by cutting your way in, smashing whatever is in the way is going to lower the car's value, make it near impossible for the next owner to sort things out and impact your wallet.
  • "Oh ****" moments. Count them. Nothing good ever comes from that, the mod was not what you expected as an outcome, your not happy with it, you paid for the part that was replaced-- a perfectly good part so in a way you paid twice for the same thing. Sure you can call that smart and intelligent all day long but is that really the truth or based in reality?
  • One thing is certain almost anyone can take something apart. But the real challenge is putting it all back together nicer or improved on the factory which is really a whole different thing. That said you can call taking things apart, breaking them en-route an education if you want to. But in a way that more or less a rationalization. Humans can rationalize almost anything. I have seen real mechanics/automotive enthusiasts meticulously label and bag each part for re-assembly down to the last screw, bolt, fastener and write down the location. Generally speaking, those are the guys that come back with a well crafted, well thought out final product one could be proud of their efforts.
  • At the end of the day you need to understand your own willingness to spend money, the real value proposition of the modifications not only to yourself but also to the next buyer because at the end of the day the reality is most of us don't have the cars we originally bought. Example. I had a 69 Camaro, 2 of the 260Z, one 300 ZX etc and I don't own them any more for whatever reasons, I sold them down the road and the "value" in the market place affected my wallet more or less. Sure I know stuff about 69 Camaro's and 260 Z's not that this knowledge is totally useful on a daily basis. And yes I know stuff about Porsche 997's but I also know if I want to get my money back out of this 911, I need to to be careful not to impact the sale-ability and appeal of the car by implementing projects that could significantly decrease the value even if I think they are so "cool" who wouldn't want that? Answer plenty of people might not want something that was jacked around unless the price is so low they figure at least I got some parts I can use. At this point the reality is unless the project will increase the car's value by way of performance, handling, looks etc I am definitely not doing it and it has to be consistent with the Porsche market place as best I can tell. e.g I don't see any value in replacing a perfectly good metal hood, to try to scale down 40lbs unless you plan to track the car. Tracking a car is a completely different equation. When I see a car for sale, a 928, 924, 911 etc I look to see just how molested it is, what was done to it. When it was well kept, well maintained, lower miles, maintenance records and generally unmolested, to me that means less maintenance nightmares, more opportunities to actually drive the car as often as I want to and less mysterious noises, sounds, leaks, performance issues etc. Then you are down to regular wear and more predictable maintenance schedules and services whether you do it yourself or have a Porsche shop do it.
  • For this set of mods, to me it seems like there was never enough time to do it right and always enough time to re-do it, break it ,pay double and replace broken parts, lost screws, nuts,bolts and fasteners and just leave it off and disassembled leaving issues for the next owner to enjoy to their immense thrill until they pass it off to someone else. To me, this seems to be more of an economic education, and less of a mechanical education.
Old 08-20-2021, 05:15 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 145 Posts

Most water cooled porsche are glorified volkswagens. So the whole respect thing is kind of out the window for me. And as far as broke college civic mods. The carbon roof came out like crap, which will soon be remedied. And RS cars come with plastic windows so i guess those are civics too. Other than that i've used pretty much all porsche genuine parts. Just keep watching. Past year and a half has been ROUGH for me. Things are turning around though and so will this build. Quality builds dont happen over night. its a learning experience that should also be FUN
No I wasn't referring to the parts you were getting. I actually like the mods you are doing. I was talking about the things you did to the car. For example, cutting and breaking things on the car out of frustration, leaving the car out in the weather when it is not finished, doing mods while the car itself isn't running right. Quality builds can't be achieved if you just go straight in and hope things will work out. They require research, planning, experience, time and patience.
DanielW (08-20-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 11:11 PM
ky13
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you using an open rear diff or LSD? Are you willing to expose the internals of that box from 9FF? I'd be curious to see the circuitry.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Liamm
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Please keep posting. It's the only interesting thread on this entire forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Liamm:
ejabour (08-26-2021), jaredomin (09-07-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 04:38 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by ky13
Are you using an open rear diff or LSD? Are you willing to expose the internals of that box from 9FF? I'd be curious to see the circuitry.

im pretty sure the tip is an electro open horse crap diff or atleast thats what it feels like. idk, tip is AWEsome when working properly for the very very few situations it was intended for. So i dont want to knock the tip by anymeans. The tip plus the awd imo is the true everyday supercar. i could drive that car alllllll day long no complaints, and then once the sun got low i could line it up with just about anything brake boost it and shoot off into the darkness with my brake lights glaring into your face. As far as the circuitry comment. The box is sealed and i plan on selling the unit so im going to leave it as is. Im pretty sure this is the EXACT reason why 9ff doesnt want their parts coming to the USA, and why it was a total B¡tch to get any of there stuff here. I literally had to trick them to get this piece 😂. That being said who buys an automatic 911 like cmon. Maybe if you have like 3 other 911s.

Last edited by jaredomin; 08-25-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 04:42 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by Liamm
Thank you. i have a ton of crap i still have left to do before i can even think of selling or keeping so plenty more stuff to come.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:47 PM
jaredomin
Pro

tried seeing if the cup car mount would fit…..
it did not. first off the outputshaft* was hitting the mount. So i tried trimming a little off the top to clear it. It cleared but then the 4 mounting bolts were a little too long and then i would have had to source another long bolt for the center piece. And then there was like a hair line crack in the cup car mount i had so i just said fck it and put it all back to stock. An interesting exercise nonetheless. Would deff work on gt3 and gt2 tho.

Last edited by jaredomin; 09-02-2021 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:16 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,520 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Liamm
Lol. What you don't appreciate all the pointless bore scoring threads and the never-ending handwringing? How about the endless search for "peace of mind" by purchasing the best aftermarket warranty? For a car that can do 190 mph and take curves at three times the posted limits, there sure are an awful lot of owners with a near-zero risk tolerance.

Keep it up Jared, your posts are always entertaining and remind me of my own misspent youth. Sooner or later it will be time to get serious so enjoy it while you can. Make sure you put some cash away now though as compound interest is an amazing thing.
The following 8 users liked this post by PV997:
coaldrag413 (08-27-2021), DanielW (09-02-2021), DocR (08-26-2021), ejabour (08-26-2021), jaredomin (08-26-2021), Liamm (08-26-2021), maekwl (08-26-2021), PowderJunkie (08-26-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Mezger turbo!