Sponsored by:

Mezger turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 10:59 AM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielW
When I first started working as a IT consultant we did multi million dollar projects for large companies like Caterpillar Inc, Wyeth-Ayerst, Tandy, Quaker Oats, Motorola, Inland Steel etc etc. We always tried to break new systems dev. down into subsystems that needed to be designed and built(coded) kinda like breaking a big problem into more digestible chunks, and to rapidly show value to the customers by managing each component successfully. We did a lot of large fixed price projects, with tight change control procedures and process to deliver on time and budget it takes some discipline.

The project managers would say to us the 5 P’s of any project, **** Poor Planning leads to Poor Performance. Something to think about and apply to every rather complex effort. If you allow yourself the time to think through the problem domain carefully and do some things serially vs in parallel it can help reduce risk of failures.
How do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time.
Serial is not always the best approach with vehicle projects IMHO but is the easiest approach.

Now...... More content and less thread jacking.
The following users liked this post:
jaredomin (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

When I first started working as a IT consultant we did multi million dollar projects for large companies like Caterpillar Inc, Wyeth-Ayerst, Tandy, Quaker Oats, Motorola, Inland Steel etc etc. We always tried to break new systems dev. down into subsystems that needed to be designed and built(coded) kinda like breaking a big problem into more digestible chunks, and to rapidly show value to the customers by managing each component successfully. We did a lot of large fixed price projects, with tight change control procedures and process to deliver on time and budget it takes some discipline.

The project managers would say to us the 5 P’s of any project, **** Poor Planning leads to Poor Performance. Something to think about and apply to every rather complex effort. If you allow yourself the time to think through the problem domain carefully and do some things serially vs in parallel it can help reduce risk of failures.
How do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time.
Something tells me Jared isn't following the best practices of billion dollar multinational corporations.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
DanielW (11-03-2020), jaredomin (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:16 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

This thread reminds me of the early days when we (my brother and I and a couple friends) built street rods. Not much planning, more than a few mistakes and a lot of long hours. But, we always got them done. The irony is that once we got a car finished, we lost interest in it. Building was a lot more fun than driving. But, I am curious about one thing in this project. The car has over 100K miles. With all of the work going into this build, wouldn't an engine rebuild be prudent?
jaredomin (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
This thread reminds me of the early days when we (my brother and I and a couple friends) built street rods. Not much planning, more than a few mistakes and a lot of long hours. But, we always got them done. The irony is that once we got a car finished, we lost interest in it. Building was a lot more fun than driving. But, I am curious about one thing in this project. The car has over 100K miles. With all of the work going into this build, wouldn't an engine rebuild be prudent?
building it is half the fun!!
Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by ejabour
Now...... More content and less thread jacking.
BIG +1

Everyone wana drive the boat 🙄
Old 10-17-2020, 12:51 PM
ky13
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredomin
LOL , na na i sold the e90 to feed the porsche
I don't think you understood where I was headed with that line of questioning. nm
Old 10-17-2020, 04:46 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by PV997
Something tells me Jared isn't following the best practices of billion dollar multinational corporations.

You’d be wrong in your assumption
Old 10-17-2020, 04:47 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Originally Posted by ky13
I don't think you understood where I was headed with that line of questioning. nm
So where were you headed?
Old 11-03-2020, 07:15 AM
0-60Motorsports
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking forward to better pics on this thread instead of updates on the car lol.
DanielW (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 09:12 AM
DanielW
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
The following 2 users liked this post by DanielW:
AitchUK (12-31-2020), jaredomin (11-27-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 02:56 PM
DanielW
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Any updates on the build?
Old 01-01-2021, 04:45 PM
jaredomin
Pro

Any updates on the build?
not really, I've been trying to get a nice plastic window for the car for a while now with no luck. I'm weighing options right now though. progress is in the works regardless. this car is gonna be sweet!!
Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 PM
jaredomin
Pro

alright! Here's an update. nothing too interesting today but one small step for man will be explained bc I'm bored and its snowy and im excited ab my car.

So after many many months or years however long its been, I have finally came to my final deliberation (for now). This one small detail and one stubborn builder has snagged this build for quite some time. Let me elaborate. So some time ago I had gotten my carbon roof installed by bradan coachworks. after I had received the car back I had a few issues. one I had broken my windshield when I was removing it for the body work. **** happens. next I had caught a case of shiny car part syndrome yet again. and so the lusting began. I was in search of a plexi rear wind screen. bc racecar and I DESPise the heater lines in the window of literally every 997 made. wackkkk. so there I was. unhappy with what I had yet again. so what did I do. well first I tried buying a new oe plexi rs wind screen. and so I waited and waited and waited. one never became available growing tired of waiting I tried buying glass used and that ended up wasting a massive amount of time aswell. still feeling stubborn I continued to wait for a solution. and then one day it hit me. I said holy **** there's no way in bloody hell that I am going to tint an rs window and risk it coming out like **** and ruining it. that would be my luck. bc im not going to go fishbowl. the tints look sick with the slate grey! so there I was some 7 months later realizing how much time ive wasted by not thinking ab the tints. bc honestly I really wanted to get the oe glass. after having bought a cup car window and seeing how flexible and thin it was I wanted the oe rs even more because I heard it was more suited for road use in more ways than one. so there I am not willing to tint oe glass, needing a wind shield and really tired of waiting. I turned to plastics for performance based in the uk. a new oe front windshield from Porsche was nearly 1100 from the dealer, lame. so what did I do instead!!! I went all in bb. plexi front and Rear windshield in addition to the side and quarter window being plexi aswell. not to mention that I was able to order everything already tinted from factory. except the front windshield I wanted to keep that fishbowl. all in all I am going to be losing massive weight from this slicktop conversion project. lets hope these pieces arrive safely and are up to my standards. if not the im saying fck this and its just gonna be Ferrari time baby.
near future plans for the car include the following. pccb, esmotor vtg upgrade, cgt buckets, tune, ics, rs front fenders, wheels.

pce out

Last edited by jaredomin; 02-08-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

If you think the Porsche OE windshield is expensive, you should check the prices on one from Ferrari.
jaredomin (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 06:14 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 305 Posts

Sounds all like a fantastical waste of money and trainwreck that I enjoy living through vicariously.
The following 2 users liked this post by hexagone:
DanielW (08-19-2021), jaredomin (02-08-2021)

Quick Reply: Mezger turbo!