Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 05:03 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by byroncheung
So I'm looking at the flow chart for error P1871 and P17F0. For P1871 (data record for shift rod compensation is invalid), flow chart action is to recalibrate, which makes sense given distance sensor was replaced and we haven't been able to done a successful recalibration.

P17F0's flow chart is a bit weird (I have attached here) - going by the flow chart SF4, since we don't have P172D or P0711, it immediately flow to "Contact the importer/TCC" (which isn't particularly helpful...)? And looking at the whole 2 pages of flow chart, in no where it mentions replacing the temp sensor itself - given the temp sensor is available for sale from Porsche, shouldn't somewhere of the flow chart cover the case of bad temp sensor and point to an action item of replacing the sensor?

The whole sequence of event is just so weird - the overheat code wasn't there in the 1st place when I have the distance sensor error, it wasn't there after we put in the t-desgin distance sensor, but now we got it after replaced t-design with XeMODeX's. Another thought is, I saw P17F0 being mentioned as consequential fault companying speed sensor or pressor sensor error, maybe there is a possibility that those sensors problem is causing P17F0? @PV997 mentioned overtemp error could come from a "calculated temp" using speed sensor ( https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16737299 ), which could makes sense here because the sensor readout temp is normal while we're getting overheat error? And since the speed sensor connect to the same harness as the distance sensor, I guess there is a possibility that speed sensor is not connected properly, or damaged by the soldering heat etc in the process of putting in the distance sensor? Although, I do also see in a post from @notfastenough about a case they saw of overheat error as a result of bad speed sensor, there was a gear ratio error (i guess wrong speed -> wrong gear ratio calc - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18619629 ), but here we are not getting an error that is more directly related to the speed sensor...

You really shouldn't trust any faults seen after failed calibrations. As I've personally seen (including in a 991 we just finished), the calibrations can sometimes become a black art of attempting different methods, adaptions, programming and using different testers etc. All while cycling the key, locking/unlocking vehicle, resetting battery and all of the other tricks dealer techs use to reset things. So unless you have an inherent issue internally caused by sensor replacement, a lot of these faults are symptoms of a failed calibration, and not the cause itself.
There are plenty of times they go through without an issue, and plenty of others where a car ends up being pushed back outside, and then appears hours later being driven back into our shop after I've spent hours "playing with it" through different means listed above to get the calibration to finally go through successfully while not tying one of my techs down with the process.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:14 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptech1
You really shouldn't trust any faults seen after failed calibrations. As I've personally seen (including in a 991 we just finished), the calibrations can sometimes become a black art of attempting different methods, adaptions, programming and using different testers etc. All while cycling the key, locking/unlocking vehicle, resetting battery and all of the other tricks dealer techs use to reset things. So unless you have an inherent issue internally caused by sensor replacement, a lot of these faults are symptoms of a failed calibration, and not the cause itself.
There are plenty of times they go through without an issue, and plenty of others where a car ends up being pushed back outside, and then appears hours later being driven back into our shop after I've spent hours "playing with it" through different means listed above to get the calibration to finally go through successfully while not tying one of my techs down with the process.
Ok I hear you, thanks for your input and sharing of your experience. I just thought it might be a reasonable hypothesis that something had happened to the speed sensor during installation of distance sensor, which would explain the code and temp readout we are seeing quite well...
Old 08-26-2023, 11:03 AM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamicp
Hey All.. So in the middle of fixing my PDK ZF.. I have it all done for one slight peice.. How do you close it. I see tons of threads on how to open with custom tool. Well, what are the thread size at the end of each shaft??

i guess you figured it out meanwhile .
it is M24x1.5 and M22x1.5

Best regards
Old 08-26-2023, 11:22 AM
Pinkawa
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calibration issue P1870

Originally Posted by porschafan
tried, still doing the same
Were you able to resolve your issue ?
After replacing the distance sensor my calibration or short rod teach in stops at 58%

-> shift rod teach in issue. All steps of the teach-in process appear to be completed.

PIWIS shows Failure code P1870 / calibration interrupted

Background :
- distance sensor was changed due to low 5volt sensor signal which could be traced back to the distance sensor / speed sensor plug

after replacement sensor sensor voltage is back to 5volt

the shift rods move 16-17.6mm

i thought maybe wiring issue that I mixed 2 cables but that is not the case according to my pictures

- I did multiple bleed cycles / oil fill cycles
- only the rear case was open on my 981 (never the hydraulic block removed nor the PDK oil pan removed nor pdk oil changed since 10000 miles ago)

My next step is to re-Program the tcu (not the re-programming step done at the ginning of the calibration with parts replacement).

Please chime in and advise if you have experienced the p1870 after repair during calibration .

thank you !
Old 08-26-2023, 11:55 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinkawa
i guess you figured it out meanwhile .
it is M24x1.5 and M22x1.5

Best regards
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18775681
Old 08-26-2023, 02:58 PM
dak996
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you for your show all this infor. ... thanks
The following users liked this post:
stjoh (08-26-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 09:05 AM
ss109
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss109
I actually ended up grabbing a spare from @stjoh but I did find Porsche ATL had it in stock and my local dealer (Suncoast) could easily order it. I think the other use cases, the sensor is externally replaceable but they are internal on the PDK- hence the hesitation of Porsche recommending their replacement.

As another update, I just mated the PDK to the engine. Pretty easy- just required a lot of clever wiggling/jiggling/movement and there is always that satisfying "pop" when everything aligns and it slides together. Once it was aligned, the six screws could easily be hand-threaded.

Through all this effort, I have inadvertently cracked the plastic pan- but I have an aluminum version on the shelf I will install!
Just as a follow-up and closure. 991 PDK was reinstalled and everything is sorted; I finished this the end of last month. The service manual is so good and detailed, it really made this much easier. Obviously, reinstall was easier than removal because I learned a lot along the way.
stjoh (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 12:16 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by berlinettaeng
Deleted, because they need to be a RL Sponsor to advertise commercial services.
Thank you for commenting but please edit your post to remove copying the entire main post. The comment thread is already unwieldy with over 1300 comments and this makes it even more difficult to follow. Use the edit button when logged in at the bottom of your comment.

All - please don't reply to the main post using "quote". And if you do so inadvertently please go in a and fix it right away so I don't have to bug the moderators to clean up the comment. Thanks.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 08-31-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:05 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

After replacing the distance sensor my calibration or short rod teach in stops at 58%

-> shift rod teach in issue. All steps of the teach-in process appear to be completed.

Background :
- distance sensor was changed due to low 5volt sensor signal which could be traced back to the distance sensor / speed sensor plug

i thought maybe wiring issue that I mixed 2 cables but that is not the case according to my pictures

- only the rear case was open on my 981 (never the hydraulic block removed nor the PDK oil pan removed nor pdk oil changed since 10000 miles ago)

My next step is to re-Program the tcu (not the re-programming step done at the ginning of the calibration with parts replacement).

Please chime in and advise if you have experienced the p1870 after repair during calibration .

thank you !
@Pinkawa any luck with re-programing the tcu?
Old 08-29-2023, 07:14 PM
porschafan
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background :

thank you !
No, Still dealing with this. car have been sat on the shop for over 7 months have tried different PIWIS, Autel, Nothing will calibrate. always stop at the same point. I removed the Speed and distance sensors to see if there was a cable or connection issue and all good. I changed the connector and still comes with the same error.

I tried yesterday and now Im getting the P1870 and P0731 code and still stops and the same %
Old 08-29-2023, 07:54 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Originally Posted by porschafan
No, Still dealing with this. car have been sat on the shop for over 7 months have tried different PIWIS, Autel, Nothing will calibrate. always stop at the same point. I removed the Speed and distance sensors to see if there was a cable or connection issue and all good. I changed the connector and still comes with the same error.

I tried yesterday and now Im getting the P1870 and P0731 code and still stops and the same %
@porschafan I feel your pain and I'm worrying about mine too (stuck with P1871 and P17F0 at calibration after distance sensor replacement)... I feel that we are extremely unlucky - had the distance sensor in the first place, and then got stuck with calibration issue after replacement... or maybe both of these problems are more common than I thought?
Old 08-30-2023, 04:51 AM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by berlinettaeng
Deleted, because they need to be a RL Sponsor to advertise commercial services.
Snip from your website below. Is the cost of the 'DS/SS service' inclusive of the sensors or is this just the labour cost? From the wording it seems to suggest this is the cost of just fitting the sensors.

Your original prices that have been slashed seem a little odd. Standard price for a T-design speed sensor is about US1500, about 1200 pound. A T-design distance sensor US$1950, about 1500 pound at today's exchange rate. Even your discount prices are far higher than what is charged in the US. Is this a misprint on your website?

Cost of the 'fitment service' is about US$8500., discounted from US$17,500. Again, is this a misprint?

Neither a Boxster/Cayman or 911 needs the transmission removed to do the job and is about a single days work for a single tech. Can you clarify this for us please?

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 08-31-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:26 PM
FFurtadoCoelho
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Porsche Boxster 981 2013 PDK failure

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experience: I have a 2013 Boxster with PDK (bought it brand new) with all services made at a Porsche shop.
Last month, the car presented a transmission failure on the dashboard and I sent it to Porsche shop. They calibrated the transmission forks and for a couple of days it was ok. On the third day the same dreaded message appeared and it got stuck in 5th gear.
Now Porsche says the only solution is change the whole PDK and is asking for 12.5K Euros.
As I live in Portugal, I do not know of any mechanics that could at least look at the problem and give me a second opinion.
Nevertheless, I found a US company (Beck's European) that sells both speed and distance sensors for 4.4k USD plus taxes and shipment.
Even if I got the sensors, I would have trouble finding someone to change them (it would need to unmount PDK).
I think this is something that leaves us, Porsche customers, with no options but to pay whatever Porsche wants, when the problem could be a simple sensor malfunction.

Fernando.

Old 08-31-2023, 12:34 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 300 Likes on 193 Posts

Fernando,
Please send us a line we can hook you up with PDK repair shops in Portugal.

-Vlad
T-Design9.com
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 08-31-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Pedro Lopes (09-10-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 04:39 PM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 981 gts 15 p1706

Hello all,

I've P1706 fault (5v low limit exceeded) , gear lock on 1st ,2nd or neutral, dependig each time of i take off battery. I don't have any other fault code.. which problem might be? I check the ohm value of tempersture and pression sensor and they seems fine.

Might be the TCU? This morning i left the car at porsche workshop, hope that they don't tell me that i must change entire pdk..

I would like to add a m question for all that has a problem with pdk:

Do you have changed lamps with led type in your car? My 981 has pdls+ but i have replaced additional high beam lamp (H7) with one led type, and before that i had the pdk problem i have done a lot of km with high beam on. i also have changed side marker, with new porsche led type.

i knew that for some car led type bulbs have given problems to various control unit in the car.

Last edited by Mirko Coletti; 08-31-2023 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission