Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 04:57 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,539 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by stjoh
Not sure about the "amazing" part but I was able to do the repair on a 997 with the transmission installed. I captured DIY instructions here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-997/...l#post19004433

As stated in that thread it is very doable. While access is a bit more limited than the other platform it's not that bad. As a matter of fact, gaining access to the transmission case is easier than the on mid-engine cars. I had to modify the pull/press tools a bit to work on the 911 transmission but in the end these are pretty simple tools that any shop could easily make.
Thanks for posting this @stjoh. Unfortunately it probably won't get a lot of engagement over in the DIY section unless people go looking for it. I'll ask the mods if we can get some text and a link inserted into the main post.

So I have to ask, why are shops charging around $4k (or more) to do this work? stjoh has shown it's about an eight hour job tops, particularly if one has a lift. The guy @jjrichar mentioned up in comment 1357 says his distance sensor "fitment service" is 6750 pounds ($8500 US), marked down from the normal price of 13,500 pounds. Absurd.

Look at what @stjoh demonstrated:
  • The PDK does not have to be removed from the car
  • The coolant does not have to be drained and refilled
  • The PDK clutch fluid does't have to be drained aside from the small amount lost disconnecting the heat exchanger (gear oil does but that's a simple drain/refill)
  • There is minimal ancillary components/hardware that needs to be removed for access

So why are shops charging four grand? Eight hours at $150/hour is $1200, at $200/hour is $1600. Again, why four grand? Please don't tell me it's from overhead as those $150-200/hour rates are burdened, they include overhead. The mechanics aren't getting $150-200/hour as that would equate to $300k to $400k a year.

It seems to me the prices aren't being set by the actual labor involved, but by what people are willing to pay compared to a new transmission. That's fine if that's the case but then let's be honest and tell people the actual labor rate is closer to $500/hour.

Last edited by PV997; 09-11-2023 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo
The following 4 users liked this post by PV997:
997ajk (09-15-2023), Fullyield (09-11-2023), Honda (09-11-2023), stjoh (09-11-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 12:33 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Thanks for posting this @stjoh. Unfortunately it probably won't get a lot of engagement over in the DIY section unless people go looking for it.
It’s a great post, but I agree that a lot of folks won’t spot it in the DIY section.

I'll ask the mods if we can get some text and a link inserted into the main post.
I can do that for you. Just shoot me the draft text, and the location in your top post, and I’ll pop it in tomorrow evening.

Karl.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:03 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 368 Posts

So why are shops charging four grand? Eight hours at $150/hour is $1200, at $200/hour is $1600. Again, why four grand? Please don't tell me it's from overhead as those $150-200/hour rates are burdened, they include overhead. The mechanics aren't getting $150-200/hour as that would equate to $300k to $400k a year.

It seems to me the prices aren't being set by the actual labor involved, but by what people are willing to pay compared to a new transmission. That's fine if that's the case but then let's be honest and tell people the actual labor rate is closer to $500/hour.
I think a majority is what you said.. "the Porsche Tax". Lots of examples of that are around..

If people know that it could be almost 20k repair, to hear it could be done for "only" 8 is a relief.

Old 09-12-2023, 11:20 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Trying to compare DIY pricing to shop pricing is highly misleading. A DIY’er might get lucky and get away with a bunch of shortcuts and it works out, but 9 times out of 10 there are other issues and thats why shops need to charge accordingly - you're paying for experience and expertise to fix those issues. I cant begin to tell you how many calls I get from car owners and other shops (including overseas) begging for help because they tried to do a sensor replacement and bricked a TCU or had another issue that they cannot resolve. Calibration issues are frequent and without a dealer level PIWIS there are cars that cannot be calibrated properly.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

The following users liked this post:
t-design (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 08:31 AM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Update by my side:

Porsche tell that is not the harness or the valve body as sd before,. Yesterday they tell me that they want to try to change TCU, but by their experience the problem will not be solved, so i must change entire PDK (12/13K€) They offer also to me the possibility of buy an used pdk (searching by myself) and they will assemble it on my car (1400/1500€ only porsche work + an used pdk 3/4k€). Otherwise t-design workshop in italy ask me 8k for entire work on my car.

@PV997 @jjrichar My question for you are:

My gearbox (981 gts without limited slip) might be 9G230001125,
- the last two numbers (25) are only revision index? Can I assemble a PDK with different last two numbers?
- can i assemble a pdk with limited slip diff? (9G2300021xx)?

Thanks so much

Last edited by Mirko Coletti; 09-14-2023 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 02:43 PM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

An other question:

If i change distance sensor DIY, it is ever required to calibrate it? Or in some cases is not necessary?
what is the price of sensor? and who sell it? I know only T design.

Thanks
Mirko
Old 09-16-2023, 03:14 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes calibration needs to be done. We have T-Design sensors in stock. Happy to quote for you - send PM with your email.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:04 AM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirko Coletti
An other question:

If i change distance sensor DIY, it is ever required to calibrate it? Or in some cases is not necessary?
what is the price of sensor? and who sell it? I know only T design.

Thanks
Mirko
It can sometimes work without a cal, but personally I'd recommend always completing the cal without part replacement so the distance sensor outputs are accurate. Otherwise I think there is the risk transmission damage if there is an incorrect gear engagement that isn't picked up by the TCU due to inaccurate distance sensor numbers.

Don't know about the revision numbers on the transmission part number. I can't see there being an issue if you use a transmission from another 981 that is the same variant. I can't find any part lists for the GTS, but the part number you quote is for the CG2.25 transmission, which is the non LS version that is also on the Cayman/Boxster S. So you would need to find one that is the same variant, that being a CG 2.25. A transmission from a base Cayman/Boxster is a CG2.05 and won't work as the gearing is different. I suspect you could happily install the transmission with the LSD, but then would need to program with PIWS that the LSD is installed.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:27 AM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

Originally Posted by jjrichar
It can sometimes work without a cal, but personally I'd recommend always completing the cal without part replacement so the distance sensor outputs are accurate. Otherwise I think there is the risk transmission damage if there is an incorrect gear engagement that isn't picked up by the TCU due to inaccurate distance sensor numbers.

Don't know about the revision numbers on the transmission part number. I can't see there being an issue if you use a transmission from another 981 that is the same variant. I can't find any part lists for the GTS, but the part number you quote is for the CG2.25 transmission, which is the non LS version that is also on the Cayman/Boxster S. So you would need to find one that is the same variant, that being a CG 2.25. A transmission from a base Cayman/Boxster is a CG2.05 and won't work as the gearing is different. I suspect you could happily install the transmission with the LSD, but then would need to program with PIWS that the LSD is installed.
Thanks againg Richard,

I'm seeing your piwis video and installing on VM, which interface should i buy?
i see on chinese site various interface at 70$, i don't know if i can post the link, are them ok for pdk calibration?
there are various version, 5054A, 6154 both usb or bluetooth or wifi, and there are written various release 1.6.6 ,1.8.4 i'm a little bit confused, i also read on some site (maybe T-design) that piwis 2 is better than 3 for this procedure
Old 09-17-2023, 07:14 PM
jjrichar
Instructor

Thanks againg Richard,

I'm seeing your piwis video and installing on VM, which interface should i buy?
i see on chinese site various interface at 70$, i don't know if i can post the link, are them ok for pdk calibration?
there are various version, 5054A, 6154 both usb or bluetooth or wifi, and there are written various release 1.6.6 ,1.8.4 i'm a little bit confused, i also read on some site (maybe T-design) that piwis 2 is better than 3 for this procedure
Link here for the interface I bought. Whilst the interface works well, when I was having a few issues I attempted through various means to contact them. I couldn't get any response and they fully stone walled me. For this reason I would avoid them, as you are going to be on your own if problems arise.

http://www.obd2store.com/original-sa...te-p-1984.html

I had purchase previously another interface that consequently failed, was fixed, failed again etc. Internally it was different to the one I currently use. It was also less expensive. Whilst this seller would get back to me promptly, it was clear the interface design was not as good.

So I don't have a recommendation unfortunately. There might be others here who have had a good experience with a vendor and can provide a solid recommendation.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:05 AM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

Link here for the interface I bought. Whilst the interface works well, when I was having a few issues I attempted through various means to contact them. I couldn't get any response and they fully stone walled me. For this reason I would avoid them, as you are going to be on your own if problems arise.

http://www.obd2store.com/original-sa...te-p-1984.html

I had purchase previously another interface that consequently failed, was fixed, failed again etc. Internally it was different to the one I currently use. It was also less expensive. Whilst this seller would get back to me promptly, it was clear the interface design was not as good.

So I don't have a recommendation unfortunately. There might be others here who have had a good experience with a vendor and can provide a solid recommendation.
I've tried to download your piwis file from google drive 4 times, by different PC/mobile but at some point it will stop and never restart, am i going wrong?
Old 09-18-2023, 04:47 AM
jjrichar
Instructor

I've tried to download your piwis file from google drive 4 times, by different PC/mobile but at some point it will stop and never restart, am i going wrong?
It tends to do that. I don't know why. Might be a google drive thing due to it being a large file. I think the best chance of success is downloading during an off peak time.
Old 09-18-2023, 05:20 PM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

It tends to do that. I don't know why. Might be a google drive thing due to it being a large file. I think the best chance of success is downloading during an off peak time.
I try again other 2/3 times, but ever at same point appar "authorization denied".

anyway today i taked back my car from porsche, they asked me 375€ only for diagnosis. In the morning they tell me at telephone that it will be 160€, when i ask them why is there that difference they can't answer me...
There is also a scratch in rear bumper that isn't there before, and they returned the car to me with the battery completely low.
Tomorrow they will hear from me!

Back on topic, once at home i've done some test, DC VOLT from pin 19 and pin 4 (TCU) is 4.2V if connected and 5.0 if i remove wire 19 from connector, so i really think that the problem is distance sensor, tomorrow i will order it..
Old 10-07-2023, 01:13 PM
Mirko Coletti
Track Day

I have replaced distance sensor and all was good, i put the car in rolling test mode and all gear was working well R included.
after that i have performed calibration and it fail at 58% "65008 - unexpected routine result for service teach_in_shaltstangen_requestroutineresults"

I now have a red warning and gear locked in P

Tha only fault in memory is p1870 and the distance sensor is reading -0.328 0.441 0.488 -0.746

What can i do?

Old 10-08-2023, 01:28 AM
FOBioPatel
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I took delivery of my 981 in November 2013, so I had a gen1 PDK. My PDK failed in January (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...nsmission.html), and was replaced with a re-manufactured PDK. I am curious if the build quality on the PDK will be improved over the gen1 PDK which died, or is it a like-for-like change, with the same risk of failure?

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission