Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:40 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Texas
How much does each different repair cost?
Between $6500-$18000 depending on the scope of work. If you'd like a quote I'd be happy to provide one. You can PM with your email and VIN, thanks.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 03-03-2023, 08:09 AM
Atlantis2013
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
First of all, thank you to pv997 and all the others who thanks to this discussion allowed me to embark on my project.
It's a swap of pdk 997.2 in an old beetle with ez30 engine.
Thanks to this discussion I learned how it works
I created an electronic board to manage the valves and also use all the original sensors.
I still have an obstacle, not having a full 997.2, I could not extract the data on the gearshift sequence (mv1 mv2 eds5 and eds6).
I tried to contact HTG but he is clearly ignoring me 😅 forcing me to buy a box at 2000 dollars (beam + TCU + board for pdk)
PS sorry for my poor english 🙏
Old 03-03-2023, 09:55 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Are you swapping the PDK or PDK/engine?

This is an interesting project - was always wondering if a PDK could be adapted for an LS swap.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:30 AM
Atlantis2013
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Are you swapping the PDK or PDK/engine?

This is an interesting project - was always wondering if a PDK could be adapted for an LS swap.
Only pdk, for engine, i use subaru ez30 😁
Cheaper and very good for turbo application or supercharged
The following users liked this post:
toddlamb (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 03:21 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

So my shop just finished install of the LN Engineering kit (I've been on this journey for nearly 1.5 years now, but that's beside the point). Apparently it's unable to complete the calibration process, so the car is undrivable. They've gone through all the steps that LN/the supplier is telling them, but still no luck. Anyone else had this issue? I Realize most people are using T-Design, but we went down the LN route way before this really started coming to light.

Appreciate any help from the group.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:41 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by steve0827
So my shop just finished install of the LN Engineering kit (I've been on this journey for nearly 1.5 years now, but that's beside the point). Apparently it's unable to complete the calibration process, so the car is undrivable. They've gone through all the steps that LN/the supplier is telling them, but still no luck. Anyone else had this issue? I Realize most people are using T-Design, but we went down the LN route way before this really started coming to light.

I remember reading some posts about calibration errors when using PIWIS3 instead of PIWIS2 - do you know which PIWIS the shop is using?
Old 03-07-2023, 03:51 PM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by byroncheung
I remember reading some posts about calibration errors when using PIWIS3 instead of PIWIS2 - do you know which PIWIS the shop is using?
I do not. But I texted them shortly after I posted about using PIWIS 2 instead of PIWIS 3 after digging through some more posts on here. Thank you for the response, though.
Old 03-07-2023, 03:55 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I do not. But I texted them shortly after I posted about using PIWIS 2 instead of PIWIS 3 after digging through some more posts on here. Thank you for the response, though.
Let us know if the 2 v.s. 3 was an issue I will be curious to know...
Old 03-07-2023, 04:27 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

For the most part we have found this not to be the case, although I'm sure there's some situations it's true.

We have had several that were very difficult to calibrate, but it didn't matter if we used our PIWIS 2 or 3. There are some very specific steps and procedures that need to be done to get the difficult ones to calibrate. Sometimes we even need to pull the TCU and bench program/calibrate. Right now we even have one that we need to pull the valve body on due to a calibration error. This is becoming more of an art every day, and less of a plug and play affair.

Originally Posted by byroncheung
Let us know if the 2 v.s. 3 was an issue I will be curious to know...
Old 03-07-2023, 05:20 PM
jjrichar
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm assuming the sensor you have installed is the one from Xemodex. Looking at the LN engineering website it looks the same. Is this the case?

The calibration process is in two parts, shift fork cal followed by clutch cal. The shift fork (distance sensor) cal takes a few minutes and it goes through all the gear positions to measure the sensor response for each and store these. If any of these is out of parameters it will fail the cal and not continue onto the clutch cal. It can fail the cal on either the shift fork or clutch cal. Can you confirm that it's failing on the shift fork cal and not the clutch cal?

If failing on the shift fork cal then there is something out of limits within the response from the sensor assuming all is well elsewhere in the transmission. The Xemodex sensor uses end mounted vertical hall effect sensors for detection if the photos on their website are an accurate indication of their design. This is the same as what we used in our first prototype, and have since moved away from this. The problem with this design is that getting a sensor response that is within parameters can difficult due to the magnetic flux angle incidence at the sensor as well as interference from other magnets when other gears are pre-selected.

The only way to really see what is happening with the sensor output is to disassemble the transmission and manually move through all gears and directly measure the duty factor output from each sensor for each gear selection, including all possible pre-selections. Clearly this is a last resort. Much easier on a Cayman/Boxster as you can remove the rear casing with the transmission in the car. 911 this is much harder. Don't know what type of car you have.

The only thing I can suggest is to run the car through the gears in rolling test mode and look at the distance sensor output in 'actual values' in PIWIS. It will most likely give errors and put into limp mode, which will need to be reset and start again. You want to see if the distance sensor output for any gets beyond 11.0mm, as this is where the limit seems to be. The problem is when testing like this is the tcm is very quick to change to the next gear if it detects a selection error, so it's hard to see the distance that is creating the problem. The 11.0mm distance seems to be a duty factor of beyond a 12-88% range. I would suggest taking some video of this and posting so we can take a look.

Best way of testing in rolling test mode I've found is to use manual mode, put a stick on the throttle to get about 2k RPM and then deliberately select each consequent gear and check output. When you get to 7th, take the stick off the throttle to slow. Don't downshift with the RPM raised as it will rev match and rev the hell out of the engine for no good reason. Also, from what I have experienced, you will get leakage from the driveshaft CV joints at the transmission output flanges due to the angle of the driveshaft, so excessive running like this is something that you want to avoid, especially at high speed.
The following 3 users liked this post by jjrichar:
festina-lente (03-08-2023), Honda (07-19-2023), PV997 (03-14-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 04:52 PM
GainesvilleGuy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZF White Paper

Originally Posted by PV997
...An excellent technical white paper from the manufacturer (ZF) can be found here:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03225047

Unfortunately it looks like this paper is now pay-walled. I found a copy of it in the wild and can forward to those interested.
PV997 - An incredible amount of work went into putting this together.- thank you SO much! I would very much like to get a copy of that ZF White Paper you mentioned; please let me know how to get it. Also, do you happen to know of a write up specific to Macan PDKs? Mine is a '17 Turbo. Thanks again!

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 03-08-2023 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Trimmed it down for readability.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:42 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by GainesvilleGuy
PV997 - An incredible amount of work went into putting this together.- thank you SO much! I would very much like to get a copy of that ZF White Paper you mentioned; please let me know how to get it. Also, do you happen to know of a write up specific to Macan PDKs? Mine is a '17 Turbo. Thanks again!

Would you mind editing your post so we don't have to drive through the whole body of the original post to get here? Don't need the whole post rehashed so you can ask a question. Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
cbredesen (03-09-2023), irnnr (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 07:18 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
Would you mind editing your post so we don't have to drive through the whole body of the original post to get here? Don't need the whole post rehashed so you can ask a question. Thanks
I trimmed it down for him.

Karl.
The following 3 users liked this post by wjk_glynn:
byroncheung (03-13-2023), cbredesen (03-09-2023), irnnr (03-08-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:43 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,523 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by GainesvilleGuy
You should be able to find it here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...-pdk-paper.pdf

Nothing on the Macan unfortunately as it's significantly different from the 911/Cayman/Boxster PDK.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:09 AM
floatingfish
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Greetings everyone,
So I'm on an epic road trip in my 2011 911TTS in remote Big Bend National Park, far West Texas by the Mexican border, car is running like a top, I park it on the side of a mountain to go on a hike, come back and out of the blue I get the dreaded "Transmission Emergency Run" white dashboard warning and it won't go into reverse or drive, only neutral or park. I tow it back home 600 miles on a rented U-haul, which sucked, and pull these fault codes on my Durametric:
C155: U0155 - CAN timeout, instrument cluster
C146: U0146 - CAN timeout, gateway
C418: U0418 - CAN fault, brake
P177C: Reverse gear not disengageable
P17DA: Hydraulics fault during change to neutral position
P17D1: Gear selection hydraulics fault. No or wrong shift rod moved.

Luckily, this amazing thread created by you good people has been a wealth of information. I've read all 1,199 previous posts but am a little confused on what might be my exact problem. Do these codes point towards something in particular to any of you?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Nearest tow truck was 1.5 hours away.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission