Cheap Android Head Unit Review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 01:06 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 556 Likes on 329 Posts

looks awesome

- what skin are you using?
- i cant wait to get my tpms working as well - will update if the readings are a few psi off

Originally Posted by Einsteiny
Completed my install a few weeks ago. Thanks to this thread and those contributing, install went smoothly.

Overall, my impression is that this is a worthwhile upgrade. Certainly a vast improvement over the factory Becker unit in terms of sound quality. Sound has a better clarity and the subwoofer really pumps now. Enhanced functionality with Waze\Google maps was always going to be better than the 20 year old original nav. Although I was reluctant to do away with the PCM functions mileage etc, the info provided by the Bluetooth ODBI scanner is useful and make up for that. I added TPMS which I find is handy but seems to report a couple of PSI less than actual. Still need to install reversing camera and to get the DAB working through the factory antenna. Work in progress.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
Einsteiny (04-30-2024), Graufuchs (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:27 PM
iamuwere
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
is yours a .1 or .2?
Old 04-29-2024, 07:51 PM
Einsteiny
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
looks awesome

- what skin are you using?
Thanks. Just the factory skin on the Owtosin QCM665 with a wallpaper I found on the interweb.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:03 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by iamuwere
Hmm - i did scour past threads and there I believe there is one 987.2 that has seen this issue.

I can only guess that the canbus adapter (based on 955) has some incompatibility with a certain module in the 997.2 turbo. Akin to the 955 pccm+ that was throwing a CEL.

AFAIK all android radio companies purchase their generic canbus adapters from one or 2 main companies that make them.

Have you tried clearing all error codes via a durametric adapter?

Last edited by myw; 04-30-2024 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:53 PM
Haalex
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey @myw , I'm trying to troubleshoot a couple of issue that the Owtosin whatsapp line hasn't solved yet:
-I can't access the factory settings menu. They tell me to go to "extra settings", or "factory settings", but these menu just don't seem to be there. Are they limited to the Qualcomm models?
-Carplay only works wirelessly. If I turn off the wifi on my phone and try to connect it to either of the two USBs I've got, it says "link failed, try another port". Does Carplay only work on some ports, and if yes which?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 04-30-2024, 06:20 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Haalex
Hey @myw , I'm trying to troubleshoot a couple of issue that the Owtosin whatsapp line hasn't solved yet:
-I can't access the factory settings menu. They tell me to go to "extra settings", or "factory settings", but these menu just don't seem to be there. Are they limited to the Qualcomm models?
-Carplay only works wirelessly. If I turn off the wifi on my phone and try to connect it to either of the two USBs I've got, it says "link failed, try another port". Does Carplay only work on some ports, and if yes which?

Cheers,
Alex
126 applies to the Qualcomm / snapdragon lines of cpus but not with the more cost effective 7682 units (16 pin rear main harness). I have no experience at all with the 7682 units whatsoever.

It is in the thread somewhere re the exact location of the menus - as my car is in storage and i havent tinkered around in a while. Also the canBus adapter should take care of illumination modes when the headlamps are on (997 canBus, no idea how ANY of this works on a 996 unit re the canbus signals).

Last edited by myw; 04-30-2024 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:45 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 439 Posts

Cheers,
Alex
Go to the settings ICON: (With the factory layout you may need to swipe over a few screens) (Or swipe down from top of screen IIRC)

Then Select factory and input code:

Factory Pass Code: 3368 (allows you to change themes / Can Bus settings and some other options)

Android Auto Generic pass codes:https://android-headunits.com/pin-co...roid-headunit/

The following users liked this post:
smrpr (04-30-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:41 AM
Haalex
Advanced

Originally Posted by myw
126 applies to the Qualcomm / snapdragon lines of cpus but not with the more cost effective 7682 units (16 pin rear main harness). I have no experience at all with the 7682 units whatsoever.

It is in the thread somewhere re the exact location of the menus - as my car is in storage and i havent tinkered around in a while. Also the canBus adapter should take care of illumination modes when the headlamps are on (997 canBus, no idea how ANY of this works on a 996 unit re the canbus signals).
The unit I have is a "private" line Rockchip product with the 20-pin harness and the more polished UI. Still, the "factory settings" menu is nowhere to be found:

I sorted the illumination issue, it's just a matter of splicing a couple of wires together (grey blue -> orange).

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Go to the settings ICON: (With the factory layout you may need to swipe over a few screens) (Or swipe down from top of screen IIRC)

Then Select factory and input code:

Factory Pass Code: 3368 (allows you to change themes / Can Bus settings and some other options)

Android Auto Generic pass codes:https://android-headunits.com/pin-co...roid-headunit/
Thanks for pics, appreciate it but the unit I have has a different UI

Last edited by Haalex; 05-01-2024 at 04:45 AM.
Graufuchs (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:41 AM
Einsteiny
Track Day

The unit I have is a "private" line Rockchip product with the 20-pin harness and the more polished UI. Still, the "factory settings" menu is nowhere to be found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPczgSv8KBk

I sorted the illumination issue, it's just a matter of splicing a couple of wires together (grey blue -> orange).

Thanks for pics, appreciate it but the unit I have has a different UI

Try Settings/Car/Factory Settings
Old 05-01-2024, 03:58 PM
Haalex
Advanced

Originally Posted by Einsteiny
Try Settings/Car/Factory Settings
That did it! Don't know how I'd missed it. Thanks.

Was able to personalize the keys and have one send me to Carplay, which is what I was after.
I was also able to massively reduce the CarPlay volume, but somehow the factory settings for radio volume seem to have no bearing on the actual radio volume. Weird.
Graufuchs (05-01-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 04:08 AM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey guys, especially @myw I've been procrastinating on getting one of these units for a year but am about to purchase a 2008 997 Turbo and want the best and easiest to install unit. I can no longer find the Owtosin unit at Aliexpress.

Has the branding changed? Can you help me find the right unit. I see Heregoes ones and other strange brands which I am reluctant to buy.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:34 AM
ZedZed
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by TomiK
Hey guys, especially @myw I've been procrastinating on getting one of these units for a year but am about to purchase a 2008 997 Turbo and want the best and easiest to install unit. I can no longer find the Owtosin unit at Aliexpress.

Has the branding changed? Can you help me find the right unit. I see Heregoes ones and other strange brands which I am reluctant to buy.
There are plenty of alternatives. Check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post19419880
TomiK (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:34 PM
ripcurl
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the Heregoes 8GG/128GB model for my 2005 Carrera S with Bose. Also got the back up camera but I'll install that later. I had the rails 3D printed and installed them immediately - I had to buy longer M2.6 screws to install the rails (the regular screw weren't long enough).

I double checked I wasn't screwing into anything by peeking through the retention clip hole...it's mostly empty surprisingly. Probably to balance out the weight of the screen.

Here's all the cables I got - there is no mic and now the mic is built into the unit apparently. There is however a mic input in the wire loom. The Bose MOST adapter was already spliced into the loom from the factory. I was contemplating redoing it but deiced against touching the already spliced wire loom. I didn't install the 4G antenna as I won't be using a SIM card.

I made sure to connect the AUDIO OUT L/R to the MOST adapter. Also put electrical tape over each one so they don't disconnect (picture is before I put the tape on).

Also noticed that there are only 2 large plugs from the car that go into the wire loom (vs 3 that are in the Boxster youtube install video):

I powered up and everything seemed OK. I couldn't immediately figure out how to set up Android Auto, so I just went to the radio to check the audio and it worked. I started browsing the menu and went into the factory options (code 3368), I checked the CANBUS settings to see if the correct car was selected. I found a few Porsche options but nothing with the 911 model listed so I exited. I don't recall if I selected an option in the CANBUS menu but when I came back to the main screen and went to the radio, there was no longer any audio. None of audio is working on the unit now, not even the system beeps. I thought maybe I selected the wrong car in the CANBUS settings so I went back in and selected the various Porsche models but nothing works. I don't even know if the audio issue has anything to do with an incorrect CANBUS setting? Can any one verify what option is selected in their unit in the CANBUS settings?

I was thinking maybe the wires on the MOST adapter weren't properly soldered so I might take the unit out and resolder them. I'm not really sure what else to do at this point. Any thoughts?

The Porsche options I found in the CANBUS settings:

Update #1: I contacted the Heregoes vendor and they asked me to check the MOST adapter to see if the light on it is illuminated. Did not see a light but the audio is now sometimes working (only radio) - I didn't even do anything, just started working on its own before I pulled the unit out to check the MOST adapter. I tried Android Auto but no music or sound is coming from the app. Also, the equalizer application is not loading, I just get a blue wallpaper instead. Audio is also very loud at LEVEL 1 of the audio setting and getting tons of static on the radio. I'm going to try and resolder the MOST adapter and double check all the wiring again today. As for the audio being too loud, should I put the original unit back in and lower the volume? I cranked it up all the way before I took it out.

Update #2: No word from Heregoes yet, but decided to resolder the MOST adapter and using the un-used connector red/yellow/black wires to connect it up. I don't know if the unit needed to be completely powered down or the resoldering worked, but now audio is working and the equalizer application is working! Android Auto works now as well. But in the process of removing the unit from the dash, some of the wires came off their connectors. I assume they don't crimp them properly and they're loose from the factory. The mic cable and one of the USB wires just were out of their connectors.

Last edited by ripcurl; 05-06-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:43 AM
Einsteiny
Track Day

Deleted

Last edited by Einsteiny; 05-06-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:00 PM
smrpr
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 77 Posts

Does any of you know how to flip the rear camera image vertically? I found the option to flip it horizontally but nothing on the former one.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Cheap Android Head Unit Review!