Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019 | 06:47 AM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by knightma
Sounds like valves to me. When I rebuilt my 3.8 engine it sounded like that for a few seconds on the first start before the oil had circulated and filled the hydraulic tappets.

Can you work out whether it’s once per rev or every 2 revs as that would narrow it down.
Not sure but it’s at DeMan now so hope to get an answer. I don’t think it is valve related; it is loudest near the bottom of the engine on driver’s side and quieter as move away from that point. It does it when it is cold and continued after a 25 mile gentle drive
Old 07-18-2019 | 07:58 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Sorry to hear. Doesn’t sound like my 997.2 base either so it’s good you’re getting it inspected immediately. Good luck and thanks for sharing your story with the community.
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019 | 01:27 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Everyone here will be very critical about my input on this one.
Since the car is at Deman, and they are competitors, I must let them do their job, ands not interfere with my own opinions, or recommendations.

I only replied since we were mentioned in this thread.
Old 07-18-2019 | 02:11 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Everyone here will be very critical about my input on this one.
Since the car is at Deman, and they are competitors, I must let them do their job, ands not interfere with my own opinions, or recommendations.

I only replied since we were mentioned in this thread.
Bummer, but I understand your position.
Old 07-18-2019 | 02:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
Thank you :-)
Old 07-19-2019 | 10:54 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Any updates from the shop?
Old 07-19-2019 | 11:35 AM
Mikerx80
AutoX

Sorry to hear about your situation and if there is a problem hopefully that 1 month warranty covers any potential loss.

I did have a question about the history of the car. Was this a CA based vehicle for all its life? Reading various threads, the climate usually cold has a big part in these bore scores. Please keep us posted of the developments.
Old 07-19-2019 | 01:56 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
Sorry to hear about your situation and if there is a problem hopefully that 1 month warranty covers any potential loss.

I did have a question about the history of the car. Was this a CA based vehicle for all its life? Reading various threads, the climate usually cold has a big part in these bore scores. Please keep us posted of the developments.
Thanks. Yes you are right - most recent owner (2 years, 5k miles total) lived in Minnesota. Not good although at this point probably moot. It either is or isn’t scored. Just hope a definitive answer can be obtained
Old 07-19-2019 | 02:47 PM
Mikerx80
AutoX

Thanks. Yes you are right - most recent owner (2 years, 5k miles total) lived in Minnesota. Not good although at this point probably moot. It either is or isn’t scored. Just hope a definitive answer can be obtained
Thanks for sharing the information. Good luck with the diagnosis and look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 07-19-2019 | 03:14 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Remember, it is not necessarily cold temps that CAUSE bore scoring. It's the method the engine is brought to temp. Colder climates are giving more opportunity to do this incorrectly, but cold weather doesn't cause bore scoring.

Cw
RacerWannabe (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019 | 03:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Remember, it is not necessarily cold temps that CAUSE bore scoring. It's the method the engine is brought to temp. Colder climates are giving more opportunity to do this incorrectly, but cold weather doesn't cause bore scoring.

Cw
I believe the proper term is that cold weather is a ‘contributing factor.’

And I don’t think we know for sure if the method of bringing up to temp has been finalized and solidified, although I agree that it’s highly suspect and well documented. More scientific testing would need to be done here to prove it completely.
RacerWannabe (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019 | 08:29 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

From other posts ... With the closed deck design it appears that cold seizing is the failure (mode or cause ... Pick your choice) on the 9A1 motors. This appears low in the cylinder and with the closed deck design seeing this from below is either difficult or impossible.

Cold climate can be a contributing factor but proper warm-up is the prevention.

None the less failures of any kind seem to be rare in this generation.

Good luck. Looking forward to your findings.
Old 07-20-2019 | 02:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Have you talked to the seller about this? You say you have a one month warranty but you know how warranties go. They may insist on a certain shop diagnosing this or who knows what else. Only you know how the warranty is worded, what's covered and what other conditions they threw into it. Thread carefully not to void the warranty by violating any obscure terms hidden in it.
Old 07-20-2019 | 12:48 PM
INTMD8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You say you have a one month warranty but you know how warranties go.
I had a similar situation with a B6 S4 Avant. "Every car comes with a one month warranty".

Putting some miles on it noticed it was burning -tons- of oil. Even producing mushroom clouds of oil smoke occasionally. Scoped it and the bores were trashed.

They said warranty denied them because it was a pre existing condition. After a few heated phone calls they ended up buying the car back.
Old 07-21-2019 | 01:06 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I had a similar situation with a B6 S4 Avant. "Every car comes with a one month warranty".

Putting some miles on it noticed it was burning -tons- of oil. Even producing mushroom clouds of oil smoke occasionally. Scoped it and the bores were trashed.

They said warranty denied them because it was a pre existing condition. After a few heated phone calls they ended up buying the car back.

Craziness. So they warrantied a car with a trashed engine? Did the warranty state that it covered everything except the engine which had pre-existing bore scoring?

Quick Reply: When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)