Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019 | 06:14 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

And I second @MexicoBlueTurboS. ****ty situation and we are here for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBruce:
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-23-2019), RacerWannabe (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:17 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
My engine sounded exactly what you had in your video, I mean exactly, loud as well. Even the Porsche technician was concerned ( I could see it in his face) turned out to be the tensioner. That's it. Had it replaced and no more loud tick
You're hearing the knocking sound in the second half of the video too, right? That's the noise everyone is worried about.
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:31 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Thats odd. Jakes videos point out that scoring always starts at the bottom of the cylinder and may not be visible at the top of the cylinder until its become severe. However, if you are hearing a knock, you are at defcon 1 so should be seeing signs.

Cant comment on what it takes to scope the bottom of a .2. Anybody know if its possible to turn the crank by hand so you might get a little more context for each cylinder?

Did they check the fuel pump and water pump?

Cant you just return the car under warranty and be done with it?

I would get the mechanic to write in their report that there is confirmed, material and audible defect in engine operation which will require engine tear down to properly diagnose. Give that to the dealer/warranty company as proof and be done with it.
Thanks @TheBruce - that is a good point, though one that I'm not qualified to comment on - anyone else have insight as to whether the top portion of the cylinder would need to be affected to produce the noise? If that's the case, it would seem odd that the report came back as having had a clean scope of the upper cylinders all around. I do not believe that they checked the water pump or fuel pump...he did stipulate that it seems to be coming from the driver's side, bottom...
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:50 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Btw - do you know if this mechanic is reputable/knowledgable? If my indy gave me an email like that I would rip their face off. I dont feel its a) thorough or b) professional. I would not be comfortable paying anyone for 12hrs labor after the report they sent.

- My first recommendation is take it to another shop.

- Second recommendation is have them watch this video from Jake which walks you through how you can get a pretty good indication which cylinder is effected before you even scope it, just by using a mechanics stethoscope.

- Bore scoring knock is heard prominently when the car is on a lift and you are near the cylinders. In your video the noise is loudest at the driver side rear, confirmed by the mechanic. Thats the location of the water pump and fuel pump. I have no idea why they wouldn't have inspected those closely, or at least told you they ruled those out.

- I would ask them for a video where they have the car on a lift and take a mechanic stetascope to each cylinder, the fuel pump and the water pump and register where they hear the most noise.
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (07-25-2019)
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:50 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
Thanks @TheBruce - that is a good point, though one that I'm not qualified to comment on - anyone else have insight as to whether the top portion of the cylinder would need to be affected to produce the noise? If that's the case, it would seem odd that the report came back as having had a clean scope of the upper cylinders all around. I do not believe that they checked the water pump or fuel pump...he did stipulate that it seems to be coming from the driver's side, bottom...
Also - I’ll get pics of the cylinders and share
Old 07-23-2019 | 06:54 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Btw - do you know if this mechanic is reputable/knowledgable? If my indy gave me an email like that I would rip their face off. I dont feel its a) thorough or b) professional. I would not be comfortable paying anyone for 12hrs labor after the report they sent.

- My first recommendation is take it to another shop.

- Second recommendation is have them watch this video from Jake which walks you through how you can get a pretty good indication which cylinder is effected before you even scope it, just by using a mechanics stethoscope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8oMLMkkrk

- Bore scoring knock is heard prominently when the car is on a lift and you are near the cylinders. In your video the noise is loudest at the driver side rear, confirmed by the mechanic. Thats the location of the water pump and fuel pump. I have no idea why they wouldn't have inspected those closely, or at least told you they ruled those out.

- I would ask them for a video where they have the car on a lift and take a mechanic stetascope to each cylinder, the fuel pump and the water pump and register where they hear the most noise.
Thanks for the insight. Again, given the amount of work and the deadline here, I’m not sure I have the option of going somewhere else. By reputation this shop is very good...
Old 07-23-2019 | 07:01 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Understand. Ok so have them confirm they watched Jakes video and then give you a video what they hear from each cylinder, the fuel pump and water pump.

I sent a note to my indy to see if he has any ideas.
Old 07-23-2019 | 08:47 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Understand. Ok so have them confirm they watched Jakes video and then give you a video what they hear from each cylinder, the fuel pump and water pump.

I sent a note to my indy to see if he has any ideas.
Thanks again. I'll take any insight I can get here.
Old 07-23-2019 | 08:57 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
My engine sounded exactly what you had in your video, I mean exactly, loud as well. Even the Porsche technician was concerned ( I could see it in his face) turned out to be the tensioner. That's it. Had it replaced and no more loud tick
OP - This is a simple enough fix that you might ask them to replace it. I'd think it's at least worth trying prior to spending a lot more just on diagnostics.
Old 07-23-2019 | 09:52 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like you are dead set on the 12 hour inspection. No it does not take 12 hours but it does take a few. Call around and get estimates and bring back to the shop to show them they are ripping you off stating 12 hours. Use that as a negotiation tool.
Old 07-23-2019 | 09:59 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Sounds like you are dead set on the 12 hour inspection. No it does not take 12 hours but it does take a few. Call around and get estimates and bring back to the shop to show them they are ripping you off stating 12 hours. Use that as a negotiation tool.
I appreciate the input. I’m not ‘dead set’, I’m backed into a corner given time constraints
Old 07-23-2019 | 10:03 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
I appreciate the input. I’m not ‘dead set’, I’m backed into a corner given time constraints
Only takes a couple hours to get estimates elsewhere to show the shop it is currently at that it should take them less than half that time. They are taking advantage of you knowing you are under the gun.
Old 07-23-2019 | 10:13 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Only takes a couple hours to get estimates elsewhere to show the shop it is currently at that it should take them less than half that time. They are taking advantage of you knowing you are under the gun.
I'm sure that you're right. I'll call around first thing in the AM to see if anyone can take it. Already called another shop this afternoon that said they couldn't get to it by Friday; didn't ask for an estimate however..
Old 07-23-2019 | 10:42 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skwerl
You're hearing the knocking sound in the second half of the video too, right? That's the noise everyone is worried about.

Yea I hear it loud and clear. As my post stated I've heard it before on my car. Thing is that when you try to listen everything's so tight in the engine compartment noises resonate, trying to feel around there is like putting your hands in Medusa's hair.
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019 | 10:46 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Pay the money and forget about it. The price of mind - one way or the other - for a few grand on a $50k car is worth it. If it is scored - great - got a warranty
If it's not - great - drive the car worry free

Quick Reply: When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)