Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019 | 07:39 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Btw - do you know if this mechanic is reputable/knowledgable? If my indy gave me an email like that I would rip their face off. I dont feel its a) thorough or b) professional. I would not be comfortable paying anyone for 12hrs labor after the report they sent.

- My first recommendation is take it to another shop.

- Second recommendation is have them watch this video from Jake which walks you through how you can get a pretty good indication which cylinder is effected before you even scope it, just by using a mechanics stethoscope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH8oMLMkkrk

- Bore scoring knock is heard prominently when the car is on a lift and you are near the cylinders. In your video the noise is loudest at the driver side rear, confirmed by the mechanic. Thats the location of the water pump and fuel pump. I have no idea why they wouldn't have inspected those closely, or at least told you they ruled those out.

- I would ask them for a video where they have the car on a lift and take a mechanic stetascope to each cylinder, the fuel pump and the water pump and register where they hear the most noise.
To this point if the 9A1 typically scores from the bottom why the f**k would they first scope the top? Am I missing something.. Please correct if I’m wrong but I’d maybe find another shop. Good luck with this.
Old 07-25-2019 | 07:45 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Absolutely. Better lucky than good, I did the same thing with the same rebel mindset in the mid seventies. Bought an orange 1970 911T with no inspection. Wasn't even aware of anything like a PPI plus I wanted the car so bad I didn't want to find anything wrong with it anyway. I looked at it, listened to it, drove it and bought it, confident it was a good car. Which it turned out to be. Again, I just plain lucked out.

Other than that, can't believe the minuscule repair costs you're quoting of that 912. But like you said, those were different times and different cars. Wouldn't even enter my mind trying to do a clutch job on a 997 in my driveway.
This whole thing started when I found about $66k of lost money that my grandmother left in a bank when she died in the mid 90s. 22 years later - it shows up on the Texas website. I gave $10k to charities my grandmother supported while she was alive and split the rest 3 ways with my siblings. So I had $17k of 'free money'. I told my wife - I want a 912 like I used to have. Simple, fun, easy to work on. I had no idea the long nose market went bat**** insane. I'm like I can't afford one of those cars and no way is a 912 worth $80,000. So I looked at 986s - almost bought until I learned about IMS and I wasn't a fan of the 1999 Ford Taurus interior.. on to early 997s with a budget that was now doubled. Bore score, IMS'ish.... not for me - 997.2s and the budget almost doubled again. Had to be an S, had to be full leather... and no driveway jobs so had to have the Fidelity warranty. Once I was all in - I made the stupid mistake of "kept looking" and then I see the car I have now... a year of chasing her and the budget nearly doubled again. But that's it - I'm done.

For how I drive the car, I'd be equally happy in the 912, the 997.2 C4S cab than the car I have. I'd still like to chase down that 912 'outlaw' I know every bolt on it. The car was nearly completely apart at one point - just a empty roller. I took it apart and put it all back together. Another place and time.

30 years ago, I had all the time in the world. We all did.

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 07-26-2019 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RacerWannabe (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019 | 08:56 AM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhillyNate
To this point if the 9A1 typically scores from the bottom why the f**k would they first scope the top? Am I missing something.. Please correct if I’m wrong but I’d maybe find another shop. Good luck with this.
My understanding is that scoring is often visible from the top with the piston at BDC (and this is a much less labor-intensive process), while if nothing is found there, then to complete a thorough inspection the bores are examined from below.
The following 2 users liked this post by RacerWannabe:
INTMD8 (07-25-2019), PhillyNate (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019 | 10:59 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
My understanding is that scoring is often visible from the top with the piston at BDC (and this is a much less labor-intensive process), while if nothing is found there, then to complete a thorough inspection the bores are examined from below.
Scoring starts at the bottom of the cylinder and progresses to the top. Once you see it at the top it has been going on for a long time.
The following 3 users liked this post by doclouie:
Mike Murphy (07-25-2019), PhillyNate (07-26-2019), TractControlOff (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019 | 02:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
This whole thing started when I found about $66k of lost money that my grandmother left in a back when she died in the mid 90s. 22 years later - it shows up on the Texas website. I gave $10k to charities my grandmother supported while she was alive and split the rest 3 ways with my siblings. So I had $17k of 'free money'. I told my wife - I want a 912 like I used to have. Simple, fun, easy to work on. I had no idea the long nose market went bat**** insane. I'm like I can't afford one of those cars and no way is a 912 worth $80,000. So I looked at 886s - almost bought until I learned about IMS and I wasn't a fan of the 1999 Ford Taurus interior.. on to early 997s with a budget that was now doubled. Bore score, IMS'ish.... not for me - 997.2s and the budget almost doubled again. Had to be an S, had to be full leather... and no driveway jobs so had to have the Fidelity warranty. Once I was all in - I made the stupid mistake of kept looking and then I see the car I have now... a year of chasing her and the budget nearly doubled again. But that's it I'm done.

For how I drive the car, I'd be equally happy in the 912, the 997.2 C4S cab than the car I have. I'd still like to chase down that 912 'outlaw' I know every bolt on it. The car was nearly completely apart at one point - just a empty roller. I took it apart and put it all back together. Another place and time.
Well, you've come full circle. From a 912 to a Turbo S. Well done. I think most Porsche types know the 912 was a four cylinder car but how many know that the early 1970's 911T could be had with a four speed manual. I say "could be had" since I think a five speed was available too. It's been so long I forgot. Mine was a four speed which may have been the only option on the 1970 cars. A friend of mine had a 1970 or maybe it was a 1971 911S Targa which was definitely a 5 speed. Drove that car a lot which led me to the 911T I bought. Didn't have as much $$ as he did.....
Old 07-26-2019 | 08:00 AM
orange260z
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Well, you've come full circle. From a 912 to a Turbo S. Well done. I think most Porsche types know the 912 was a four cylinder car but how many know that the early 1970's 911T could be had with a four speed manual. I say "could be had" since I think a five speed was available too. It's been so long I forgot. Mine was a four speed which may have been the only option on the 1970 cars. A friend of mine had a 1970 or maybe it was a 1971 911S Targa which was definitely a 5 speed. Drove that car a lot which led me to the 911T I bought. Didn't have as much $$ as he did.....
Yes, 5 speed was an option for the T in 1970, as were the, right door mirror, the full gauge cluster and the front & rear anti-sway bars. Most items from the S cars were available as options for the T, and you could end up with an S without the hotter motor if you checked all the right boxes.
Old 07-26-2019 | 10:40 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PhillyNate
They scope from the top because it is very easy to do, just pull the plugs. Scoping from the bottom means you drain all the oil and drop the pan and then there is a bunch of stuff in the way to getting to the cylinders. Unless you really know what you are doing it would take forever to see all 6 bores.
Old 07-26-2019 | 11:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

RacerWannabe, any news from the shop on the scoping from the bottom? Was today the deadline?

We're on pins and needles here with fingers crossed.
Old 07-27-2019 | 12:17 AM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
RacerWannabe, any news from the shop on the scoping from the bottom? Was today the deadline?

We're on pins and needles here with fingers crossed.
Thanks all. Bore scope was clean, above and below. Shop mechanic said that disassembly was extensive, but was able to get clear, circumferential look at all cylinder bores and no evidence for scoring at all. Essentially said that it's not a scored bore, but to determine the cause of the noise, which is acknowledged to be abnormal, would require a complete tear down.
Old 07-27-2019 | 12:21 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Sorry they didn't find anything. As I've said before nobody feels good about this.
RacerWannabe (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019 | 01:03 AM
TractControlOff
Racer

Oof, just catching up on this thread - really sorry you're having to experience this. Please continue to keep us posted.
RacerWannabe (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019 | 02:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by orange260z
Yes, 5 speed was an option for the T in 1970, as were the, right door mirror, the full gauge cluster and the front & rear anti-sway bars. Most items from the S cars were available as options for the T, and you could end up with an S without the hotter motor if you checked all the right boxes.

Great info. Thx. I didn't have the money for a new 911 in the 70's so didn't know they had the current endless options list back then. Leads me to believe they always had it except maybe for the 356.
Old 07-27-2019 | 12:06 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
Thanks all. Bore scope was clean, above and below. Shop mechanic said that disassembly was extensive, but was able to get clear, circumferential look at all cylinder bores and no evidence for scoring at all. Essentially said that it's not a scored bore, but to determine the cause of the noise, which is acknowledged to be abnormal, would require a complete tear down.
Did they take pictures? I’ve seen pictures where the mechanic said it was fine and when viewed here online told a different story.
Old 07-27-2019 | 12:07 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Did they take pictures? I’ve seen pictures where the mechanic said it was fine and when viewed here online told a different story.
Great point. Yes pics taken, but I haven’t yet seen them. Supposed to be emailed. Will have Monday. Picked up the car at closing yesterday
Old 07-27-2019 | 02:45 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

If it's not a scored bore it could be rod knock. I had a turbo dodge in the bad old 80's that spun a rod bearing and sounded similar. Super-knock maybe? It could also be something much less of an issue like a valve lifter. Since the bottom is torn down, the rod bearings can be inspected without much ado. A bad lifter might be harder to deal with due to the clearances down there. Tough spot. Hard to give the car back when you have been looking for so long, but at what point do you stop spending money to find out what?

Quick Reply: When bore scoring isn't (997.2 bore scoring fear)