Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 3.8 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Its on the way to Flat 6 Innovations! I will keep you guys updated but it will be some time before i have any news for you.

Loaded up
Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
You know i'd like to know what all of you critics would have done differently and be specific. Bronz there are a lot worse things - spending $30k-50k on a child failing out of college the first year or having to spend the same $ on a child's rehab or health issues, or having your prostrate removed and having a heart attack and having seven stents put in your late 50's in the same year(good friends of mine) . If Raby rebuilds add some power and upgrades, it stinks having to spend the money if that what it comes down to but at the end of the day you can fix this -some things in life are irreparable. And you can go to sleep at night dreaming about that new FLAT 6 vastly improved engine. Just my 2 cents.
Truth spoken right there. I have said many times on this board that there are "NO GUARANTEES" in this life and I am not just referring to Porsche engines of any generation. I could add so many other life events to the list above that can and do go horribly wrong and cost substantially more than just finances. In fact the odd's of any other sad financial situation mentioned above or implied is more likely to happen to some of us than having to rebuild an engine. So I think we should keep things in perspective and wish our fellow P-car brothers the best when a failure does happen. No matter which generation fan boy we may be It is always better to be encouraging when things don't go as planned and a failure does happen.

I, as many here, are hoping for the best for Bronz as he puts his pride and joy on a trailer and it heads out to the Raby compound. No doubt it will be in good hands and come back even better and stronger than before. I for one am even envious of the new 4.0 liter that will be pumping inside this beast when it's all done. It's gonna suck not having your 911 around for so long, but in the grand scheme of life and other things that could go wrong as mentioned above... this ain't so bad in the long run. Godspeed! .

Old 01-22-2019, 02:10 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Wishing good news and can’t wait for the updates!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
^^ Knowledgable folks would pay more for a car with a properly rebuilt engine. Those who aren’t informed might not. All you have to do is educate the buyer.
Easier said than done as I'm learning having my GTS with some mods up for sale. For some, a car that's not 100% as delivered from the factory is not a consideration. They prefer the mediocre stock seats to the $11,000 GT2 carbon fiber buckets and they would rather have bland 30 lb cast stock wheels than 20 lb $6,500 forged Forgelines. Sadly, I suspect the same buyers would also prefer an original engine with a bunch of miles on it over an expertly rebuilt engine with zero miles and more HP.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Good luck. Feel terrible for you and the bad luck you've encountered. I don't read every thread on the forum but this is the first one I recall seeing on an outright failure of a DFI engine.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 AM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bronz
Its on the way to Flat 6 Innovations! I will keep you guys updated but it will be some time before i have any news for you.

Loaded up
Thanks OP for being a standup chap and sharing your story. Like many, I envy the 4.0 Liter setup you’ll get out of this. You’ll look at this photo one day with a smile and then hop in your little beast for a drive the way I look at it, you’re getting a “997 GT3” at a discount, what with the added power (Raby claims at least +40 HP over stock). Good luck and staying subscribed to this thread for any future updates.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:21 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Good luck. Feel terrible for you and the bad luck you've encountered. I don't read every thread on the forum but this is the first one I recall seeing on an outright failure of a DFI engine.
Yea, I think this is the first I read also. Not bad, I guess given that the failure is on a 10 year old car with 76K miles...... not good of course, but not a trend. When the M96/M97s were blowing, you could clearly see the engines had deep design issues. Given that I had two engines blow, I am hyper sensitive and still worry. When lighting strikes twice, you get kinda scarred by the experiences.

Good luck! I hope it is minor.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-23-2019, 01:32 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

We’ll have some answers soon.. l document these issues extremely well. This one is very odd, and l look forward to seeing what the underlying factors that lead to this really were.

Should have time to get the engine apart in the next 3 weeks.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Jake - would be awesome if you brought us along the journey with some pics as you disassemble. Thx for being such a great support to the community. Lets get bronz back on the road!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:38 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We’ll have some answers soon.. l document these issues extremely well. This one is very odd, and l look forward to seeing what the underlying factors that lead to this really were.

I'll be interested to hear how this goes. Thanks for chiming in. And best of luck to you, Bronz!
Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Just curious.....how many failures do you see of DFI engines compared to the M96/M97 engines? As noted earlier, this is the first thread I recall seeing on the failure of a 9a1 engine. Bruce, another longtime RL member said this was the first one he recalls seeing too so using this forum alone as a reference (not ideal obviously), they seem rare.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:59 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Just curious.....how many failures do you see of DFI engines compared to the M96/M97 engines?
i second that. actually what would be a huuuge service to the community is if you gave the rough % breakdown of cars that end up at your shop by model and mode of failure.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:19 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
i second that. actually what would be a huuuge service to the community is if you gave the rough % breakdown of cars that end up at your shop by model and mode of failure.
And those would be narrow stats, not applicable to the global 9A1 population...
Old 01-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
And those would be narrow stats, not applicable to the global 9A1 population...
l agree.. This is where cars come when they are dead.. We don’t even perform oil services here. Most of what we see is dead, or dying.. The rare occurrence is when someone wants to perform an elective build.

I vowed not to discuss the issues we have found with the 9a1 publicly. To date I’ve kept my promise, and 9 years after we cracked the first one open, not a word has been shared unless an owner brought it up first.

People no longer appreciate the truth and reality. It’s all unicorns and rainbows.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

l agree.. This is where cars come when they are dead.. We don’t even perform oil services here. Most of what we see is dead, or dying.. The rare occurrence is when someone wants to perform an elective build.

I vowed not to discuss the issues we have found with the 9a1 publicly. To date I’ve kept my promise, and 9 years after we cracked the first one open, not a word has been shared unless an owner brought it up first.

People no longer appreciate the truth and reality. It’s all unicorns and rainbows.
Even if not specific as to the failure modes, how many 9A1 engine failures have you rebuilt so far...

and how many were due to timing chain failures - you said unless a problem was brought up specifically

Quick Reply: 997.2 3.8 Engine Failure